End the anonymity of ratings.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Ratings are something strange and mysterious. At the moment, they come for every author, particularly for small ones without a gigantic reader base, out of nowhere like an artillery round. You neither know who, when and why, which is annoying as you can draw no helpful conclusions from them.

Did the person in question rate the story highly because A) it was actually good or B) because they are fangirling and generally give always 5 stars rating independently of quality?

Or in the case of bad ratings, does the person downvote anything per se, do they dislike the genre and your style, or are just they a hard to convince reader? :blob_reach:

LWFlouisa

Oh is that a reference to thing like Wikipedia wars by any chance?

In that environment, you're lucky to keep your hide, let alone review integrity.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Yes, and I will stand by my words. I can understand that you fear harassment, but how likely is that statistically? And what is wrong about letting the world know what you think? Why do you even bother to rate then if nobody should know it?
People fear lots of statstically unlike things, (shark attacks, airplane crashes, etc.) There is nothing wrong with letting the world know what I think, that's why I'm rating it.

Assurbanipal_II

People fear lots of statstically unlike things, (shark attacks, airplane crashes, etc.) There is nothing wrong with letting the world know what I think, that's why I'm rating it.

"The words you used is overly negative, but yes, raters (at least I would) would be deterred. Also, thanks for branding a lot of people like me "spineless" people without "a modicum of courage."

Nobody knows what you are thinking because it is anonymous. You just disappear in an anonymous blob of nothingness, but this aren't general elections. And yes, they fear these things. And do you know what? They are flying, surfing, driving nevertheless. So, why not rate openly? I doubt you have to fear for your life.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
This is getting nowhere
You're repeating like a broken record (although in different words) "It makes no sense why raters would be deterred if their rating is no longer anonymous", and I'm repeating "But raters (like me) do get deterred"

We should probably stop this before we annoy Tony and others and have it closed down like that trending thread.

If you really want to know why raters do get deterred, feel free to continue this on my profile or yours.

Assurbanipal_II

This is getting nowhere
You're repeating like a broken record (although in different words) "It makes no sense why raters would be deterred if their rating is no longer anonymous", and I'm repeating "But raters (like me) do get deterred"

We should probably stop this before we annoy Tony and others and have it closed down like that trending thread.

If you really want to know why raters do get deterred, feel free to continue this on my profile or yours.

You are trying me. :blob_evil_two: I don't like that. But you are right we should stop it here before the broken recorder continues.