Enhanced Word Count

Allchemic

I am a dirty cheater.

Okay, no one cares about me, so let's forget about it.

The real problem is: total word count & average words.

Both statistics take into consideration everything written in the 'editor', even the author notes. Most of the time, that should not be a problem, the thing is... there are authors like me. My author notes are sometimes (most of the time) massive (300~500 words long), which makes both statistics extremely inaccurate.

When I search something to read, I do check those statistics. For one, stories that have a lot of chapters but whose chapters are extremely small in length are, usually, not up to my taste. And the same can be said about stories with humongous chapters (usually +4000 words). That said, I always check the total word count and the average chapter length before starting to read, which may be a problem if other people like me and cannot hold their fingers back.

Therefore, I think it would be great if the Word Count was enhanced to not take in consideration the author notes, or announcements and etc. Which may or may not be possible, since I don't know shit about coding. There could also be a separated area to write the author notes (although I prefer it as it is) if it was too much of a pain to code that, or just not feasible.

TL;DR: Make it so author notes and announcements are not counted on the total word count and average words (chapter length).
I wasn't going to post this,
but this is the only way to
clean my conscience,
even if
just a bit.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Do that and all my chapters become 100 words.
oh, that could become a problem for stories with lazy writers... we need at least 500 words per chapter, right? I tend to forget those writing rules easily so I am not too sure since I never make any chapters less than 500 words... So,
I am a dirty cheater.

Both statistics take into consideration everything written in the 'editor', even the author notes. Most of the time, that should not be a problem, the thing is... there are authors like me. My author notes are sometimes (most of the time) massive (300~500 words long), which makes both statistics extremely inaccurate.

When I search something to read, I do check those statistics. For one, stories that have a lot of chapters but whose chapters are extremely small in length are, usually, not up to my taste. And the same can be said about stories with humongous chapters (usually +4000 words). That said, I always check the total word count and the average chapter length before starting to read, which may be a problem if other people like me and cannot hold their fingers back.

Therefore, I think it would be great if the Word Count was enhanced to not take in consideration the author notes, or announcements and etc. Which may or may not be possible, since I don't know shit about coding. There could also be a separated area to write the author notes (although I prefer it as it is) if it was too much of a pain to code that, or just not feasible.

TL;DR: Make it so author notes and announcements are not counted on the total word count and average words (chapter length).
clean my conscience,
even if
just a bit.
the optioned mentioned can be a toggle.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I am a dirty cheater.

clean my conscience,
even if
just a bit.
Why are your author notes the same size as a James Patterson chapter? We have a forum.

Funnyface

I find it kind of strange as well, but maybe it’s more trouble than it’s worth to fix it since adding a bunch of systems to fix it might just introduce strange problems like Cadmar said. If you work concurrently in any type of program like MS Word or Notepad you can get the real number from there. Would love to see this fixed.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
AO3 has sections for author notes before or after the main text, but I don't use them because my author notes are pretty short and I'm lazy.