Entered a contest and I am getting bad rating.

Nonameavailable

A few days back I had about 6 to 7 Five Star ratings and 1 Four Star rating. And then I decided to participate in the Second Tempest Tournament. And now, I have 2.8 scores with 11 new One Star Rating.
Is there a place where I can complain? Or get these ratings revoked? Recheched? Or do I have to live with it?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
A few days back I had about 6 to 7 Five Star ratings and 1 Four Star rating. And then I decided to participate in the Second Tempest Tournament. And now, I have 2.8 scores with 11 new One Star Rating.
Is there a place where I can complain? Or get these ratings revoked? Recheched? Or do I have to live with it?
...you entered a competition. People are going to be more critical...because its a competition.

I don't care if your MC is a beta cuckboy like most jap protags.
But if you enter a contest where the goal is well-written characters, imma give you that one star rating. Cuz your MC a beta cuckboy.

See where I'm going with this, friend?

Agentt

Thighs
Even without what Cupcake said, entering a competition also invites many trolls, but they are usually negligible, so this does mean you have to improve your skills.

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
You need to be in a certain mindset when entering a competition, that you'll probably get at least some negative feedback since the competitive nature of the event invites a more critical attitude towards the participants.

I'm sorry you feel wronged by those ratings, but you will need to live with them. I hope you can use this experience to fuel your motivation to take a better look at your own writing, though I wouldn't advise you to do it at the moment. Let the competition run its course, take some time to cool off on the bad aftertaste the bad reviews left and only then take a fresh look at your own writing.

Wish all the better for you!

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
In my words get good scrub

in other people words they are just trolls or you and writing a cuckboy in a competition

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
You should probably update your description so people know you're actually entering the contest and not doing it for more clicks and change the cover because doing a reverse Google image search makes me think your cover is stolen(apologies if you were the original artist or the one who commissioned it). There's been a few fics that break the rules of the competition and suddenly ninja their way to the rankings, so people might be rating bombing you for that reason.

D

Deleted member 45782

Besides the cover, which can also be an issue, do you think maybe it might have something to do how you tagged your story? Curious and tried checking your story. Some mentioned about tagging your story properly?

Idk how you can just remove bad ratings cause unless you know its a troll, it could also just be readers reading your story and rating on it based on what they have read and felt about it. Unless they are legit trolls, then you can ask Tony.

Jamminrabbit

I'm going out on a limb to say the 1 stars are probably coming from competing writers who see that you have entered a "Sequel" story into the competition. The entries are supposed to be completely original with no relation to existing stories.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Err... I haven't really looked too hard at the Tempest competition thingy but do ratings even affect your chance of winning at all? I'm under the impression that it's a bunch of judges choosing which story they like best that fits the criteria. So if ratings don't affect anything, you can opt to just leave it alone and allow the judges to judge for themselves. If it does, you can probably just PM the mod or site owner to look into it and see what types of accounts are giving them.

If they're made with obvious throwaways or the system shows that the account has indeed been consistently voting down every submission except perhaps one.... then yeah, that's gaming the system and the admins can proooooooooobably take action. If not, then the rating is valid and reflection of what the current readers think of your work.

Before you submit your work you might want to double-check everything first with the contest. As far as I know, ratings and reviews are created for readers and not for authors, so you have no control over them and cannot remove them.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
If you added the story to the contest after it started, you may have alienated some of your previous readers. As well as anyone who's playing fair and starting from scratch.

You should also write which prompts for the contest you are writing around in your synopsis, though that's just flavoring.

Probably the biggest contributor is the person who mentioned that you didn't tag your work properly in your profile's message center. If you fix that... Well, it won't get rid of the 1 stars you already have, but maybe more won't show up in the future.

You've also got stories with unpopular tags like NTR. Anyone who looks at all of your stories may get upset. Drawing attention to yourself through a contest is more likely to get you negative ratings than positive ones because of this.

Mysticant

Resident Ant
I doubt it is really by jealous competitors, but rather stricter judging. Though, getting '1' ratings are usually nasty. Those who dare to vote 1 out of envy aren't likely to win anyway. A good competitive mindset is to better yourself than push others down after all. I avoid this competition since all the topics scream of edgy teen novels besides the outer space theme which I do not really have any nice plot for too.

To be honest, if a large group of people votes you a '1', you are better off considering where your writing has to improve since it is a general consensus that there is a problem somewhere. A minority could be a coincidence, but a majority spells for some self-reflection.

Let us all admit that anyone who actually says "I think this novel deserves a 3.5, thus I vote 1" or "I think this novel deserves a 4, thus I vote 5." are just trolls beyond saving. Why does your opinion of the average rating matter? As writers and readers, we have to have the mindset of giving accurate feedback, thus accurate ratings. Any votes that just aim to change the average is just juvenile and stupid as we want individual objective feedback. If you think it is a 4, just give it a 4 and not be a dumbass and throw a 3 or a 5.

Last edited:

ThatOne

Oof, I'll rate your story 5 stars. Good luck finding a fix or just help in general. That sucks...

Mysticant

Resident Ant
*looks at my MC* fuck, he does look like an edgy teen now that I think about it.
It really isn't anyone's fault really. Just imagine an unconventional weapon, or duality of a secret life. You would need to pull gimmicks and dumb down your MCs to target a certain type of audience unless you are going for a far-off niche. Can you imagine pulling off a serious novel where your MC kills another person with a washing machine as a main weapon? I bet not.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
It really isn't anyone's fault really. Just imagine an unconventional weapon, or duality of a secret life. You would need to pull gimmicks and dumb down your MCs to target a certain type of audience unless you are going for a far-off niche. Can you imagine pulling off a serious novel where your MC kills another person with a washing machine as a main weapon? I bet not.
Hey creating flying spaghetti monsters are serious business, totally. I mean you would NOT want to mess with a culinary abomination of pasta and meatballs, wouldn't you?

Nonameavailable

...you entered a competition. People are going to be more critical...because its a competition.

I don't care if your MC is a beta cuckboy like most jap protags.
But if you enter a contest where the goal is well-written characters, imma give you that one star rating. Cuz your MC a beta cuckboy.

See where I'm going with this, friend?
That's not what my protagonist is. And I don't mind them being critical, but at least leave a comment about what you are being critical about?
It's like getting punched for no reason.
You should probably update your description so people know you're actually entering the contest and not doing it for more clicks and change the cover because doing a reverse Google image search makes me think your cover is stolen(apologies if you were the original artist or the one who commissioned it). There's been a few fics that break the rules of the competition and suddenly ninja their way to the rankings, so people might be rating bombing you for that reason.
I didn't even know there were so many rules. I kinda just entered without thinking because there was that entering option. Now, I am fucked. Thank's for telling me.
Besides the cover, which can also be an issue, do you think maybe it might have something to do how you tagged your story? Curious and tried checking your story. Some mentioned about tagging your story properly?

Idk how you can just remove bad ratings cause unless you know its a troll, it could also just be readers reading your story and rating on it based on what they have read and felt about it. Unless they are legit trolls, then you can ask Tony.
There was a slight problem with me adding the girl's love tag. Someone said that you can only add it for when you have a female protagonist. But I didn't find a Yuri tag to warn people that there will be girl-on-girl action. Might be that.
If you added the story to the contest after it started, you may have alienated some of your previous readers. As well as anyone who's playing fair and starting from scratch.

You should also write which prompts for the contest you are writing around in your synopsis, though that's just flavoring.

Probably the biggest contributor is the person who mentioned that you didn't tag your work properly in your profile's message center. If you fix that... Well, it won't get rid of the 1 stars you already have, but maybe more won't show up in the future.

You've also got stories with unpopular tags like NTR. Anyone who looks at all of your stories may get upset. Drawing attention to yourself through a contest is more likely to get you negative ratings than positive ones because of this.
Sheesh, so many rules. I just entered the contest for the fun of it. Didn't know that things would become this critical. I guess that does make sense, entering late, and all of a sudden I am in the top 5. That has to invite hate, that was why I wanted to know if I can delete my ratings.
I was thinking about pulling out when I posted this. But since I can't delete the bad ratings, I might as well go all the way.
Oh, there is that. I think I might be getting one star because the protagonist doesn't fit the criteria. It's not like he doesn't have a double life. But that is in a much broader sense since he is the hero, the prodigy, and all those things for the people. But at the same time, he is the Satan that everyone fears. But that is hard to understand if you don't read the prequel. As for unconventional weapons, as a human he is an inventor, so most of his weapons are unconventional, like the dice that could turn into a trap. Spherical ball is actually a mechanical beehive to spread poison or surveillance through microscopic cameras.
I am not even sure if you can call them unconventional. Now, I am just ranting over the bad ratings.
Wow, congratulations!
You just scared the shit out of me, and here I thought it couldn't get worse.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
That's not what my protagonist is. And I don't mind them being critical, but at least leave a comment about what you are being critical about?

I didn't even know there were so many rules. I kinda just entered without thinking because there was that entering option. Now, I am fucked. Thank's for telling me.

There was a slight problem with me adding the girl's love tag. Someone said that you can only add it for when you have a female protagonist. But I didn't find a Yuri tag to warn people that there will be girl-on-girl action. Might be that.

Sheesh, so many rules. I just entered the contest for the fun of it. Didn't know that things would become this critical. I guess that does make sense, entering late, and all of a sudden I am in the top 5. That has to invite hate, that was why I wanted to know if I can delete my ratings.
I was thinking about pulling out when I posted this. But since I can't delete the bad ratings, I might as well go all the way.
Just use it as an example. But yeah. The are also all kinds of rules, which I why I rarely enter contests.

The last one I entered needed a chapter to be 5k words long for example. And the story I wrote for it was just a one shot kind of thing, kinda like a teaser for a possible story to be written later.

But then I saw that rule and realized, "son of a bitch, I'm going to have to really stretch this out" so I ended up having to like, add in perspective from two of the other main characters. Which ended up working well. But uh....being a lazy cunt, I didn't want to go through that kinda shit again.

Sone rules get really specific too on what you can actually write into the story. I hate thst

DarklyReadsBooks

Listen broski, I don't really understand tags, or like a good chapter release rate, so I can't really talk but hey having a GL tag, without a female protag kinda screws with my perception of the point of GL, I mean im reading a gl story to get invested in the characters, so if it's going to be a GL have a protag be a girl (im typing on mobile don't question) rant over. Also, if I'm going to be reading a competition story, I don't want to have to read an entire other story before any of the competition story makes sense, kinda turns me off and would be the type of thing I'd give a low rating (I don't give ratings so don't worry). (still on mobile do. not. question.)

D

Deleted member 45782

Oh, there is that. I think I might be getting one star because the protagonist doesn't fit the criteria. It's not like he doesn't have a double life. But that is in a much broader sense since he is the hero, the prodigy, and all those things for the people. But at the same time, he is the Satan that everyone fears. But that is hard to understand if you don't read the prequel. As for unconventional weapons, as a human he is an inventor, so most of his weapons are unconventional, like the dice that could turn into a trap. Spherical ball is actually a mechanical beehive to spread poison or surveillance through microscopic cameras.
I am not even sure if you can call them unconventional. Now, I am just ranting over the bad ratings.

You just scared the shit out of me, and here I thought it couldn't get worse.
Maybe next time, read the rules carefully before you join one. Sheesh. You can always ask on that contest thread any questions before you fully go into it. Always read before you go into any agreement and its rules.

And no, I don't think its just bc you're in the top 5 in the contest. More likely to do with your tags and other stuff several others have mentioned. And your genre mentions GL. I can get the GL subplot tag, but if its tagged as a GL in genre, I would presume the whole story primarily revolves around GL.

Last edited by a moderator: