Error report on Second Life as the Sister of a Goddess.

Jemini

So, I have already received plenty of positive opinions about my series, Second Life as the Sister of a Goddess calling it well above the standard on writing conventions for this site. I, however, am not satisfied with just that. After all, how do you think it got to such a level in the first place? It is for perfectionist reasons, not self-loathing massochistic reasons, that I have set out to look as hard as I can for critiques on my series, even going so far as to look up Youtube videos by professional editors about common errors that separate ammature writing from professional grade writing. I want my work to fall into the latter category.

I have been collecting critiques from minor spelling and grammar errors, critiques about confusing or slow points in the story that could be remedied or re-phrased, and explanations that are factually incorrect. I also have the issue where in my first 30 chapters I was just getting stuff out there and didn't have a complete picture of what the main plot and direction of the story was going to be. I want to work as I can to fix some of those issues.

The plan for a re-write of the first 30 chapters, mostly comprised of minor edits but a few major ones at points, is set at this point. I have collected enough issues I want to address that it is definitely warranted. However, if possible, I would not like to have to do this twice. So, I would like to ask for some people to help me out and point out even the most minor of errors, critiques, or complaints you can find so that I can keep them in mind. I know a lot of people already think the story overall is good. That's not what I'm looking for. I want to know the little points I can use to push this from high-end amature into the professional realm.

Pistachio

Hmmm, I think it will be better if you hire a proofreader or an editor, not that I'm underestimating the people here in SH forum because, as you've put in your post, you've already gathered as many critiques as you can from readers and probably other authors too. Unless that person is a fan of your work and also a certified editor, I don't think free feedback alone can meet your expectations. Why don't you try reaching out for an editor or a friend who's an editor? Because honestly, scrutinizing the most minor of errors takes a lot of time; you're asking for someone to free up their schedule just to focus on yours. Some will give up halfway or be carried away by the story that they've forgotten what they're supposed to do, but if you can provide an incentive you'll end up with a quality critique akin to a professional author.

Of course, if someone did as what I've said above without asking anything in return, kudos to them, but if someone does criticize your work and falls short to what you need, hiring an editor is the best option. :-)

Jemini

Hmmm, I think it will be better if you hire a proofreader or an editor, not that I'm underestimating the people here in SH forum because, as you've put in your post, you've already gathered as many critiques as you can from readers and probably other authors too. Unless that person is a fan of your work and also a certified editor, I don't think free feedback alone can meet your expectations. Why don't you try reaching out for an editor or a friend who's an editor? Because honestly, scrutinizing the most minor of errors takes a lot of time; you're asking for someone to free up their schedule just to focus on yours. Some will give up halfway or be carried away by the story that they've forgotten what they're supposed to do, but if you can provide an incentive you'll end up with a quality critique akin to a professional author.

Of course, if someone did as what I've said above without asking anything in return, kudos to them, but if someone does criticize your work and falls short to what you need, hiring an editor is the best option. :-)

Well, that puts some good perspective on this that I didn't exactly consider. I wasn't actually meaning every single minor error, but more along the lines of I didn't just want an "It's good" or "I didn't like it," but rather to call out some things about how they notices a point that bothered them or some area they just so happened to have specific knowledge in that I portrayed inaccurately.

Still, that said, I think you are likely right that the best I can get at this point will probably be stylistic critiques of which I have had a few. I probably have enough to work with as is once I am ready to start with the re-write anyway, I just wanted to get the word out this would be happening and see if anyone wanted to help out by taking a look.

(The professional editor step will be for after I've edited through a 2nd time and I'm considering publishing it as a book. Or rather, at least a digital book on Amazon.)