Escapism

Scribbler

The "seems" is just in case you happen to be someone who's been through similar circumstances and are currently riding a high of good health, or are otherwise failing to empathise properly with other people.

Otherwise, there is no "seems".
I love you so much

Lunary

For me personally, I will explain how escapism effects my life.
Sometimes, when I get so stressed that living in itself is exhausting, I turn towards an escape. Something that helps distract me from dark thoughts.

Because when life throws you challenges that makes existing a living hell, it might be a little difficult to pick yourself up and keep moving.

Your willpower seems very strong, and that's a very good trait to have. But the way you call others 'human trash' because they're going through a problem that you don't understand, is extremely immature. Learn to see that other people in this world also have their own lives. Most of them probably have went through very difficult times.

Until you go through similar things, you probably won't understand what everyone on this forum is talking about. But when you do, I hope you can see how judgemental you were truly being.

Lunary

Sometimes, when I get so stressed that living in itself is exhausting, I turn towards an escape. Something that helps distract me from dark thoughts.

Because when life throws you challenges that makes existing a living hell, it might be a little difficult to pick yourself up and keep moving.

Your willpower seems very strong, and that's a very good trait to have. But the way you call others 'human trash' because they're going through a problem that you don't understand, is extremely immature. Learn to see that other people in this world also have their own lives. Most of them probably have went through very difficult times.

Until you go through similar things, you probably won't understand what everyone on this forum is talking about. But when you do, I hope you can see how judgemental you were truly being.
And, I'm not try to be condescending. This is just something many people go through on a daily basis, and you are very lucky to not have experienced it yet.

A.Bel

You're just wrong on so many levels that I won't even take the time to explain all the ways. That's how wrong you are.

Wow, talk about an ego. I completely agree with Llamadragon Your problem is boredom, and you are escaping it through reading a fantasy. Not everyone has it so dire that they need to escape depression. You do understand escapism, you just don't realize it. You just want to feel better than those pesky people and their problems by pretending that you're something special. You're not. You're just like everyone else here. Escaping. If your life was so exciting, you wouldn't be here, arguing with people on the internet. LOL.

Scribbler

Wow, talk about an ego. I completely agree with Llamadragon Your problem is boredom, and you are escaping it through reading a fantasy. Not everyone has it so dire that they need to escape depression. You do understand escapism, you just don't realize it. You just want to feel better than those pesky people and their problems by pretending that you're something special. You're not. You're just like everyone else here. Escaping. If your life was so exciting, you wouldn't be here, arguing with people on the internet. LOL.
Fine, I was wrong, happy?

Scribbler

I cannot confirm or deny such accusations.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
And you ask me, "What if they can't change their reality?". Then I would say that's basically the same thing as giving up and hoping your problems will go away by themselves. Isn't that a terrible thing to do? Something only human trash would do?
So in the case of someone close to you died, what would you do? You aren't going to bring that person back from the dead, and doing "nothing" but consuming media for escapism actually will solve the problem, since given a short amount of time, the feelings of sadness and general grief will go away (and if it doesn't a trip to the doctor is necessary). If you ask me, at least in this scenario, escapism is something actual logical and a very viable solution. If you don't think so, please explain.

Scribbler

So in the case of someone close to you died, what would you do? You aren't going to bring that person back from the dead, and doing "nothing" but consuming media for escapism actually will solve the problem, since given a short amount of time, the feelings of sadness and general grief will go away (and if it doesn't a trip to the doctor is necessary). If you ask me, at least in this scenario, escapism is something actual logical and a very viable solution. If you don't think so, please explain.
I really don't care to argue your line of logic. I don't think I've argued with anyone yet. I've simply told them truths. I hate arguing with people. I think it's a waste of time. I know I'm right. What good will it do if someone else does too? I'm not like you. I don't think like you. I don't want to. I don't think anything. I don't have opinions. That's why I'm rarely wrong.

Scribbler

If anyone wants to argue or gleam something from me then please just leave. I mean, it's just annoying. Why must everyone be so disgusting.

Llamadragon

I really don't care to argue your line of logic. I don't think I've argued with anyone yet. I've simply told them truths. I hate arguing with people. I think it's a waste of time. I know I'm right. What good will it do if someone else does too? I'm not like you. I don't think like you. I don't want to. I don't think anything. I don't have opinions. That's why I'm rarely wrong.
Hey, out of curiosity, ever heard the screams of dying people?

Serzy

Why ask for other people's opinions if you're only going to ignore them and not even try to understand the answers you've been given?
Were you just trying to start a flame war or something?

Scribbler

Hey, out of curiosity, ever heard the screams of dying people?
*insert internet video of people dying and screaming*
Why ask for other people's opinions if you're only going to ignore them and not even try to understand the answers you've been given?
Were you just trying to start a flame war or something?
I do understand.

Llamadragon

*insert internet video of people dying and screaming*
Well, not quite the same, but since you're an expert about solving problems through willpower, you sound like just the person to give me some advice about what I should do in my situation.

See, I hear that scene every now and then when I try to sleep. Someone who is in so much agony they're begging me to kill them just so they don't have to feel that kind of pain anymore. Ever heard it in person? Recording devices donesn't quite make it justice. Sure it does a decent job, but it can't quite catch that little.. overtone, I guess? You know the sound 'behind' the voice, the one that sounds like a knife forcefully tearing through sheet metal, the one that sounds like it comes from the abbyss of the human soul, and sounds like death. I'm quite sure nobody can get used to it.

Since you're in a position of such expertise that you can confidently call me human trash, because I would rather read cute stories about slimes and reincarnators than listen to that sound repeat itself over and over in my head until I fall asleep in the early hours and keep having nightmares about it until I wake up feeling absolutely not rested at all, I'm sure you can tell me what I should be doing differently, right? Doctors and psychologists might not have any answers for me, but you sound so confident I'm sure you have all the answers.

Because if you can not do that, and you actually dare accuse me of being 'human trash' for a reason you don't sound like you can even vaguely comprehend, you're in for a very rude wake up call the day you realize that you're not immune to things you can't change that easily. In that case, you need to travel a bit. Volunteer at an elderly home or something. I promise you, watching a few people die as their bodies fail in sometimes really horrible ways, knowing it will very likely happen to you eventually, and being their support while they pass away will change your priorities a bit. Might make you stop thinking you "know" things and accuse people for being disgusting because they're answering your questions.

Last edited:

Scribbler

Well, not quite the same, but since you're an expert about solving problems through willpower, you sound like just the person to give me some advice about what I should do in my situation.

See, I hear that scene every now and then when I try to sleep. Someone who is in so much agony they're begging me to kill them just so they don't have to feel that kind of pain anymore. Ever heard it in person? Recording devices donesn't quite make it justice. Sure it does a decent job, but it can't quite catch that little.. overtone, I guess? You know the sound 'behind' the voice, the one that sounds like a knife forcefully tearing through sheet metal, the one that sounds like it comes from the abbyss of the human soul, and sounds like death. I'm quite sure nobody can get used to it.

Since you're in a position of such expertise that you can confidently call me human trash, because I would rather read cute stories about slimes and reincarnators than listen to that sound repeat itself over and over in my head until I fall asleep in the early hours and keep having nightmares about it until I wake up feeling absolutely not rested at all, I'm sure you can tell me what I should be doing differently, right? Doctors and psychologists might not have any answers for me, but you sound so confident I'm sure you have all the answers.

Because if you can not do that, and you actually dare accuse me of being 'human trash' for a reason you don't sound like you can even vaguely comprehend, you're in for a very rude wake up call the day you realize that you're not immune to things you can't change that easily. In that case, you need to travel a bit. Volunteer at an elderly home or something. I promise you, watching a few people die as their bodies fail in sometimes really horrible ways, knowing it will very likely happen to you eventually, and being their support while they pass away will change your priorities a bit.
I. Do. Not. Care.

Scribbler

Yes. You do. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be here. Pet a cat or something.
Like dude I can hear your heart beating angrily through the screen all the way over here.
You have a wild imagination, my dude.

wintersky

So apparently a lot of people consume media - watch tv, movies, and read to escape from reality? I never understood that. I mean, if you had a real reason to escape from reality, then wouldn't you be using your time to fix the problem in your real life instead of wasting it by consuming media? I like to consume media because it's fun, because I'm bored, because I have nothing better to do. But if I had a real problem with my life, I could not waste a single second consuming media. But apparently literally everyone tries to escape from reality except me.

And you ask me, "What if they can't change their reality?". Then I would say that's basically the same thing as giving up and hoping your problems will go away by themselves. Isn't that a terrible thing to do? Something only human trash would do? Am I being too judgmental?

I recall multiple people not believing me, thinking that I was lying when I said I didn't understand the concept of escapism. And I still don't understand why I would ever want to escape from reality, when reality is literally the most important thing. I can only feel pity for people who think that that's the only viable option; doing nothing.

What do you guys think?
Well, I got a gist of it.
but you gotta know about false reality.

Last edited: