Escapism

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Scribbler is well known to argue for the sake of arguing. See "Do PeOplE Really gET betRAyEd IN rEAl Life? tHE VEry IdEa is FIcTitiOus."
I don't think I've argued with anyone yet. I've simply told them truths. I hate arguing with people. I think it's a waste of time. I know I'm right. What good will it do if someone else does too? I'm not like you. I don't think like you. I don't want to. I don't think anything. I don't have opinions. That's why I'm rarely wrong.
Except you're almost always wrong. Last time on the Discord server was the same scenario and everyone sane disagreed. Now is just a repeat.

Escapism is a form of relaxation, escaping from the stress. A way to recharge and isolate from the insanity of daily life. Yes, you are being too judgemental. Not everyone can work full burn everyday, every minute of their life and that's fine. Your consumption of media to "escape boredom" is the exact same escapism you claim you don't understand and condemn.

Last edited:

mrsimple

Writer
In my opinion, from multiple points of views, the question had been answered. Any further discussion had been declared unwelcomed by the topic's author.

To save face, it might be a good idea to lock this thread down.

Azrie

Redemption Seeker
Well, as much as I hate you. I will provide you a real answer since you are so much about willpower. I am sorry but based on the little I heard about you, your willpower is lackluster; nonexistent. Why do I say this? Well let me provide a simple scenario, that did happen with you.

"I want to write, but it hurts, because of a bone bruise." Or whatever you said that time. And here I am, having constant headaches, and my fingers hurt for every single keypress, and I have to maintain a release schedule. Yet, you are here making pitiful excuses about how you can't write. I am sorry, but if you truly wanted to write, as you said. "Can't they solve the problem instead of escaping from them?" I don't know, I wonder that myself? Why not use a voice dictator for writing if it HURTS SO MUCH, instead of not writing at all? Aren't you just escaping from the problem? As far as I see it, procrastination is a form of mild escapism.

I don't know, I personally think that when a lot of people say they can't write because of x and y reason it mostly comes down to: "I don't want to write and I don't feel like it." I understand my personality regarding writing is something extreme, but then again, if I had such a pitiful ideology my novel wouldn't have made it past the 4k words.

So let me ask you this, as someone that likes or used to write. Why do you not write now? Because whatever the answer may be, it might just be an excuse that truly does not matter and is perfectly solvable. I totally understand some people genuinely can't write for whatever reason, which is why I don't shove my own thoughts into their throats. But here I am; resorting to doing this.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
The seems is the really important part.

I have a sense of right and wrong, of what should and should not be done. If we cannot measure ourselves to some sort of standard then we may as well be animals.
...So? That has nothing to do with what I said. In the first place I never talked about morality. I never mentioned right or wrong. I was speaking of mental strength and how not everyone has the level required to break from the illusion of helplessness. And how you yourself may just not have had real challenges in your life that made you want to escape the situation.

That aside.

You can decide your own standards that you place on yourself but you have no right to hold others to the same. It's ridiculous to do so anyway since other people are just built with different stats than you, physical, mental, and moral.

AhoDesuGa

So apparently a lot of people consume media - watch tv, movies, and read to escape from reality? I never understood that. I mean, if you had a real reason to escape from reality, then wouldn't you be using your time to fix the problem in your real life instead of wasting it by consuming media? I like to consume media because it's fun, because I'm bored, because I have nothing better to do. But if I had a real problem with my life, I could not waste a single second consuming media. But apparently literally everyone tries to escape from reality except me.

And you ask me, "What if they can't change their reality?". Then I would say that's basically the same thing as giving up and hoping your problems will go away by themselves. Isn't that a terrible thing to do? Something only human trash would do? Am I being too judgmental?

I recall multiple people not believing me, thinking that I was lying when I said I didn't understand the concept of escapism. And I still don't understand why I would ever want to escape from reality, when reality is literally the most important thing. I can only feel pity for people who think that that's the only viable option; doing nothing.

What do you guys think?
Well, simply put, I'm a pussy that would like to escape than face my problems, because if I face them it means they're real.

Wohendum-Bluu

When Blue Just Isn't Quite Blue Enough
Wow. This thread is....amusing to say the least.

Now for my bit. I grew up in a very awful location. The kind of location where when someone casually mentioned they found another body by the river, everyone shrugged and nothing else was mentioned. It was just normal. Someone's home was shot up? Alrighty then. Guy down the street got knifed? Oh okay. They can't find Mandy? Probably got "picked up". Likely won't see her again. Shootout when? Typical. This is was all a matter or normalcy for me. Luckily I moved away into a more rural area, but even now I suffer from the effects of that upbringing. I CANNOT stand silence. Not that I'll get chatty, because I instinctively find chatty people suspicious, once again due to my upbringing. But I WILL find SOMETHING that makes noise and have it running or doing something at all times of the day.

Any time my neighborhood was silent growing up, it was just because all hell was about to break loose. It always did. I also refused to sit near windows or open doors. Caused a little confusion during my community college days. Got into a nasty fist fight because I couldn't get a chair in the corner of the classroom against the wall away from windows and door and people kept trying to sit me near windows. I made a scene, and then naturally I was expelled.

Most of my childhood friends growing up, and there were many since we all kind of congregated together for security, well they are dead, quite a few died between the ages of 13-18. Some are in prison for life or lengthy bids. Two of them actually tried and failed to kill me for various reasons. One is actually more or less in a vegetative state and his family is currently debating whether the plug should be pulled. Someone put a makeshift explosive in his trunk and it went off when he went to pull something out of it.

This is just one of hundreds of little stories I could tell. Gas stations, corner stores, all of that, windows were barred, though it was fairly typical for these to have been sawed through overnight and the places STILL robbed. The local pharmacies had to have electric fences installed around them because well....(imagine why, shouldn't be too hard to figure this out). You did not ask questions in conversations unless it directly involved you or a close loved one, because knowing ANYTHING more than necessary could wind up getting you killed for knowing too much. You couldn't always know which bit of information proved fatal. So curiosity was a little stunted by nature. You never told your name, not even a last name, unless you knew the person personally. If they seemed even slightly hard to recognize, you made a fake name up. I was known in my neighborhood by 4 different aliases, and I had to keep up with all 4 so when someone called me by one of the 4, only 1 of the 4 being my real name, I'd know how to interact with this person depending on the alias they knew. Just so many little things, day to day things, that I remember were normal for me, but absurd to others in my countryside home now who I've divulged a very small amount of information too.

One woman told me it reminded her of the Korean Demilitarized Zone. Never been there. Cannot confirm. I still hate silence, I still hate being near windows or open doors. I dislike having too many lights on in my house at night, and it has nothing to do with the electricity bill. I keep animals nearby that make a lot of noise if anyone comes near. I even train them to do so. I'm a very quiet person by nature and I speak typically only when spoken too when conversing in person. I have few friends, but am willing to do terrible, evil things for those few because this is how I was raised to be with true friends because true friends are almost non-existent in real life. Most friends, are not true friends, and you NEVER know which is which until something truly dreadful happens. Remember, I've had two "friends" try to murder me. One I actually thought was a true friend used a copy of my apartment keys to get into my house and shoot me while I was asleep in bed around 4 AM. Obviously it didn't succeed, but case in point.

I won't even touch former romances topic because THAT is an entire thread on its own. Oh, and a last little bit of intriguing information I've noticed people here in the country just balk at, and I don't get why. When walking on the street, I avoid walking under or in the light radius of street lights. I'll actively avoid getting under or in the lights at night. Seen quite a few people here in the countryside just get the strangest look when I tell them this.

I've been diagnosed with PTSD, though I'm far better than I was a few years previous. I'm no longer prone to instantaneous violence. I've even mellowed enough to date and by all accounts, I'm quite the charmer, so I've been told by my few exes. Point being, I still have those previously stated problems. I haven't gotten over them. I have nightmares. I sleep very poorly quite often. You don't just "fix" that. You survive it until it's gets manageable. Scribbler doesn't have a clue on what he's talking about.

Last edited:

ZynGrand

The Winds Of Change Will Erode All Things.
You ever read something and think 'my life is so much better than I thought' to yourself?

This is one of those times.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
I think some things are loops -- like a depression loop or a negativity loop.

Anything that breaks that loop can be valuable.

Or if not breaking, anything that prevents/distracts a loop from occurring is a "small win".

Depending on how deep of a hole somebody is in, even a "small win" can mean a lot.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
So apparently a lot of people consume media - watch tv, movies, and read to escape from reality? I never understood that. I mean, if you had a real reason to escape from reality, then wouldn't you be using your time to fix the problem in your real life instead of wasting it by consuming media? I like to consume media because it's fun, because I'm bored, because I have nothing better to do. But if I had a real problem with my life, I could not waste a single second consuming media. But apparently literally everyone tries to escape from reality except me.

And you ask me, "What if they can't change their reality?". Then I would say that's basically the same thing as giving up and hoping your problems will go away by themselves. Isn't that a terrible thing to do? Something only human trash would do? Am I being too judgmental?

I recall multiple people not believing me, thinking that I was lying when I said I didn't understand the concept of escapism. And I still don't understand why I would ever want to escape from reality, when reality is literally the most important thing. I can only feel pity for people who think that that's the only viable option; doing nothing.

What do you guys think?

Where are you from, friend of the sun?

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Not a friend, just kinda sat under it for too long thinking he's some hot Aristotle shit.

Thought similarly, if he doesn't know the meaning of escapism, then his life is definitely too positive.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Thought similarly, if he doesn't know the meaning of escapism, then his life is definitely too positive.
our escapism is his reality, that little isekai-demon-lord-slave-beastkin-harem-futa-yuri-owning gold bar of trash

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
See? You brought this toxic thread back. @Tony lock?
not so toxic but rather a reminder of why your shower thoughts should stay in the shower but yeah, lock this shit up in a safe and toss it in the ocean ala Now You See Me

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
I read novels because I'm in pursuit of something perfect, I guess. I longed to behold the story that touched and resonated with me, deeply to the very soul, if I ever had one.

Also, stop with the flaming guys, are we not allowed to have an opinion anymore?