Ever Felt Like One of Your Characters?

Valmond

Well, that just happened to me. Spanish class, oral presentation. You see, one of my characters is a lovable iguana. The animal has many complicated plans. However, those plans tend to go south. Though, the animal does manage to make it work somehow, even if the outcome is disastrous.

With this being said. I came up with a complicated plan. Papers on the side with translations, up to 10 different responses to possible questions to teacher will ask. As well as a contingency if the teacher asks what I am presenting. Well, at the end of the presentation, she asked the one damn question I was not prepared for. XD

I somehow got it, but well, it coulda gone a lot better for that final moment. I did great overall though. I came in so prepared, plans and everything. Then the one thing that is so unlikely happened. 😂

I even had my phone on the side as back up responses. As well as four sentences to push me into the presentation properly. I had this planned out down to the very finest detail. Yet the one question that is so unlikely happened. 🐕

Made me feel like the iguana in my story. 🤨

What about you lot?

Last edited:

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Well, that just happened to me. Spanish class, oral presentation. You see, one of my characters is a lovable iguana. The animal has many complicated plans. However, those plans tend to go south. Though, the animal does manage to make it work somehow, even if the outcome is disastrous.

With this being said. I came up with a complicated plan. Papers on the side with translations, up to 10 different responses to possible questions to teacher will ask. As well as a contingency if the teacher asks what I am presenting. Well, at the end of the presentation, she asked the one damn question I was not prepared for. XD

I somehow got it, but well, it coulda gone a lot better for that final moment. I did great overall though. I came in so prepared, plans and everything. Then the one thing that is so unlikely happened. 😂

I even had my phone on the side as back up responses. As well as four sentences to push me into the presentation properly. I had this planned out down to the very finest detail. Yet the one question that is so unlikely happened. 🐕

What about you lot?
No but @Assurbanipal_II says I act a lot like my MC at times, which I disagree with.
'-'

X

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
In a meta sense, my character constantly feels out of place in the world and completely out of control of his life, but he's just content to have a warm meal and a nice bed every night.

Just like how I'd never get a goth GF, but I'm happy enough with the 26 OnlyFans subscription I'm paying.

Polarize4777

I am still trying to grasp how to even write a good character lol, can't relate on this question. Sad time, ima excuse myself and go to the corner. =(

Zavha0mnic

What about you lot?
All of my characters are just self inserts of my many personalities and masks. So I feel like them every day.

Leti

I like everyone so much I wanted to make their death as painless as possible.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It's the other way around. My MC feels like me.

That's what happens when you're over 30 and stop bothering to pretend that you haven't had a crush on Seto Kaiba since you were 13.

Seto Kaiba
Are you getting a PS5?

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
I have a similar problem i am dense that something surprising may happen to me and inside only a meh for me.

With the protagonist I have no problem because I simply make him react as I would. But at the time of writing other characters with other personalities, I don't know if the reactions will be credible, because for me a happy person responds with a meh, for me it would be normal, or maybe he has other things to worry about, or he just doesn't know what to say and he said that, in the end I don't know XD

Frostbird

One time I accidentally said "gods, this sucks," like a character in my story, a friend looked at me weird :ROFLMAO:

thedude3445

Every protagonist I write is, in some way, a shade of myself in some way or another. Even when I write characters vastly different to myself, I still see parts of me reflect back at me. Weirder still is when, completely unintentionally, I end up in a situation very similar to something I've already written. It can be a surreal but revealing experience.

For one very stupid and literal example, to research a chapter of a romance novel I have been working on for a while but isn't ready yet, I went to an obscure peninsula in Aichi Prefecture, Japan, where in my outlines the character visits to go take pictures of a cool shrine, but then gets lost and is stranded after dark. When I went there myself to immerse myself in the scene, I myself got lost and got stuck past dark and VERY NEARLY didn't make it back to the station before the last train out of the peninsula. Art imitating life imitating art... imitating life?

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
Every protagonist I write is, in some way, a shade of myself in some way or another. Even when I write characters vastly different to myself, I still see parts of me reflect back at me. Weirder still is when, completely unintentionally, I end up in a situation very similar to something I've already written. It can be a surreal but revealing experience.

For one very stupid and literal example, to research a chapter of a romance novel I have been working on for a while but isn't ready yet, I went to an obscure peninsula in Aichi Prefecture, Japan, where in my outlines the character visits to go take pictures of a cool shrine, but then gets lost and is stranded after dark. When I went there myself to immerse myself in the scene, I myself got lost and got stuck past dark and VERY NEARLY didn't make it back to the station before the last train out of the peninsula. Art imitating life imitating art... imitating life?

That sounds intense. I used maps before to visit a canal. Dragged the little guy and dropped him on the streets so I could immerse myself in the landscape. Kept pressing the arrow to go forward and got lost down a side street. Had to escape and drop him back where he was supposed to be.

The_Long_Serpent

Eccentric Creator
I wouldn't say Niko is a self-insert, but he is based on a side of myself not many get to see often.