Everyone on earth suddenly gets a system, except it's the 1400s

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
So you know how in some settings stuff happens on earth, aliens come out of portals or some shit and then suddenly there's a LitRPG system for humanity to fight back? I actually don't recall any stories like that, but anyways.

What if that happened, but it's in the 1400s? Standard LitRPG system with stats and skills, monsters come out of nowhere. Assume everyone understands it and has at least instinctual knowledge on how to utilize it. But no one has any "meta knowledge" of its inner workings.

I'm wondering how the different regions of earth would react to this. Some areas would probably have a greater understanding of mathematics than others. So would there be a country that "games" the system and achieves world domination?

Last edited:

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I swear I always conveniently forget about death Mage until someone brings it up again

Lorelliad

If you love me, tie my hair 🎵
I swear I always conveniently forget about death Mage until someone brings it up again
I remember the updates stopping for a solid year or so. Idk what happened to the translators, and I haven't checked since but I think they've started releasing chaps again.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So you know how in some settings stuff happens on earth, aliens come out of portals or some shit and then suddenly there's a LitRPG system for humanity to fight back? I actually don't recall any stories like that, but anyways.

What if that happened, but it's in the 1400s? Standard LitRPG system with stats and skills, monsters come out of nowhere. Assume everyone understands it and has at least instinctual knowledge on how to utilize it. But no one has any "meta knowledge" of its inner workings.

I'm wondering how the different regions of earth would react to this. Some areas would probably have a greater understanding of mathematics than others. So would there be a country that "games" the system and achieves world domination?
there wont be a very in depth knowledge, but there will be countries that will put in thorough research into it...so the vast majority of people wont have a great understanding of the system, but the soldiers of certain countries likely will,

Unlike now, the knowledge of RPG mechanics isn't widespread knowledge. The situation now is that the mechanics of RPG systems, due to the popularity of games, is shared across almost every part of the globe and includes people of basically all age groups. Those from third world countries? the number of people with such knowledge would be smaller, yes, as they cant afford consoles or games, but may still have knowledge of these things via online novels and other sources.

However, in a world set in that time period, all that wont be the case. So, the various world powers will research the System and will not be very likely to make the more advanced knowledge public unless there is a direct benefit

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
there wont be a very in depth knowledge, but there will be countries that will put in thorough research into it...so the vast majority of people wont have a great understanding of the system, but the soldiers of certain countries likely will,

Unlike now, the knowledge of RPG mechanics isn't widespread knowledge. The situation now is that the mechanics of RPG systems, due to the popularity of games, is shared across almost every part of the globe and includes people of basically all age groups. Those from third world countries? the number of people with such knowledge would be smaller, yes, as they cant afford consoles or games, but may still have knowledge of these things via online novels and other sources.

However, in a world set in that time period, all that wont be the case. So, the various world powers will research the System and will not be very likely to make the more advanced knowledge public unless there is a direct benefit
Hmm I wonder if they could make the average of their country essentially superhumans while still keeping them in check.

Cause having superhumans as field workers can have a lot of shit get done in much less time.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
My isekai novel is kinda similar, but it is a fantasy world, just heavily inspired by the middle ages

JayDirex

@Anon_Y_Mousse

Just from this explanation alone means that it's the young people, the kids, and adolescents who will figure out a hack for the system powers and better utilize them. How will they learn it? By Playing.

Adults, on the other hand, are OHMYFUGINGGOD They are such BOOOOOMERS when it comes to tech. their brains just can't figure out tech on more than a micro level to do one task at a time. God forbid that task change in sequence and you are stuck with your grandma staring at you like you're speaking Greek when you change and HDMI chord.

The point is, the adults of the 1400 are waaaaaaaaaaay too ignorant, superstitious, and just not cut out for a dynamic change like that. BUT THE KIDS WILL BE FINE.

the Open minded adults, the curious, and the kids will excel in this new system world.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
My isekai novel is kinda similar, but it is a fantasy world, just heavily inspired by the middle ages
Really? I read the first few chaps of your story and I though the system was always there from the get-go

@Anon_Y_Mousse

Just from this explanation alone means that it's the young people, the kids, and adolescents who will figure out a hack for the system powers and better utilize them. How will they learn it? By Playing.

Adults, on the other hand, are OHMYFUGINGGOD They are such BOOOOOMERS when it comes to tech. their brains just can't figure out tech on more than a micro level to do one task at a time. God forbid that task change in sequence and you are stuck with your grandma staring at you like you're speaking Greek when you change and HDMI chord.

The point is, the adults of the 1400 are waaaaaaaaaaay too ignorant, superstitious, and just not cut out for a dynamic change like that. BUT THE KIDS WILL BE FINE.

the Open minded adults, the curious, and the kids will excel in this new system world.
Maybe in some tribal societies and the peasants who only care about living to the next day. They might find it as a curse or a devil's whisper. However those in power will know it has very real, physical benefits that they can use to control the population.

They will definitely find some way to get use out if it. But it's a given that future generations will be better at it.

I doubt the kids(at least of the working class) at the start will be better though, they're basically taught what to do orally and not question it.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
@Anon_Y_Mousse

Nah you're seriously overestimating the kids. The only reason millennials were as quick to learn about computers and shit as they were is because they were born during a time when we experienced an explosion of technology.

Back in the 1400's the common folk were equal in their ignorance and backwards thinking. The kids born after the system comes into existence would be alright because by the time they are old enough to understand the System, its basic functions and capabilities would probably have already been explored.

Keene

I will restrict this answer just to Europe.

In the late 15th and early 16th century the rate of literacy in Europe varied between 10 and 40%.

A sudden RPG system appearing for most of, if not all of the general population would have extensive ramifications to nearly every aspect of society. In the immediate aftermath the aristocrat and commoner alike would turn towards their religious instituations for answers. The Pope, Roderic Llançol i de Borja, otherwise known as Alexander IV would, after deliberation with his cardinals and archbishops, declare this system as a miracle from God, to be used for the prosperity of Christendom and the destruction of the enemies of Christ.

The economic capabilities and productive output of a countries work force would for the lack of a better word - explode. Any country that did not abuse it would fall behind. Every country would be racing to sky rocket the literacy rate and mathematical ability of the population. Laws and institutions would spring up to control exactly where the common man placed their attribute points.

Many human experiments that would never pass a modern day ethics board would be ran and the systems inner workings would be dissected.

Academic areas of Human Biology, Pure Mathematics and Probability Theory would see massive progress very quickly.

Large progress in so many areas of society would be met with equal amounts of conflict as many states would rush to utilize their new found powers offensively. A complete overhaul of the legal process is required. Jurisprudence enters a golden era. Many states split and fracture as independence movements succeed across the holy roman empire.

The greater power and threat from the peasant class poses a larger risk to the aristocratic elites who are more fearful than ever of a revolt. Some concessions are made but for the most part their elite positions in society remain.

Women, who are now able to use the system to work and fight on an equal level than men see a radical shift in gender roles. They are still predominantly mothers but a significant amount of the female population is utilized for labor and fighting.

-----------------

That's all I can come up with now. Interesting thought experiment OP!

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I will restrict this answer just to Europe.

In the late 15th and early 16th century the rate of literacy in Europe varied between 10 and 40%.

A sudden RPG system appearing for most of, if not all of the general population would have extensive ramifications to nearly every aspect of society. In the immediate aftermath the aristocrat and commoner alike would turn towards their religious instituations for answers. The Pope, Roderic Llançol i de Borja, otherwise known as Alexander IV would, after deliberation with his cardinals and archbishops, declare this system as a miracle from God, to be used for the prosperity of Christendom and the destruction of the enemies of Christ.

The economic capabilities and productive output of a countries work force would for the lack of a better word - explode. Any country that did not abuse it would fall behind. Every country would be racing to sky rocket the literacy rate and mathematical ability of the population. Laws and institutions would spring up to control exactly where the common man placed their attribute points.

Many human experiments that would never pass a modern day ethics board would be ran and the systems inner workings would be dissected.

Academic areas of Human Biology, Pure Mathematics and Probability Theory would see massive progress very quickly.

Large progress in so many areas of society would be met with equal amounts of conflict as many states would rush to utilize their new found powers offensively. A complete overhaul of the legal process is required. Jurisprudence enters a golden era. Many states split and fracture as independence movements succeed across the holy roman empire.

The greater power and threat from the peasant class poses a larger risk to the aristocratic elites who are more fearful than ever of a revolt. Some concessions are made but for the most part their elite positions in society remain.

Women, who are now able to use the system to work and fight on an equal level than men see a radical shift in gender roles. They are still predominantly mothers but a significant amount of the female population is utilized for labor and fighting.

-----------------

That's all I can come up with now. Interesting thought experiment OP!

Regarding the literacy, I guess the system would provide a [Comprehend Language] skill of some sort for skill points. Otherwise it just adjusts to the person "this symbol makes me stronk, if this thing next to symbol is bigger then I stronker" would probs be how stats work for the illiterate.

But yes, society would change, a lot, for better or for worse. Religion is exactly the first thing I thought of! Glad someone covered that.

Also I mentioned beasts like goblins appearing and no one seems to be mentioning that, so I'll put it in red now.

I'd like to credit this question to my head wanting to make a power fantasy but needed a necessary excuse as to why no one is built like the MC. The excuse was they were simply the first to think of it.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Really? I read the first few chaps of your story and I though the system was always there from the get-go

Maybe in some tribal societies and the peasants who only care about living to the next day. They might find it as a curse or a devil's whisper. However those in power will know it has very real, physical benefits that they can use to control the population.

They will definitely find some way to get use out if it. But it's a given that future generations will be better at it.

I doubt the kids(at least of the working class) at the start will be better though, they're basically taught what to do orally and not question it.
True. Maybe not THAT similar, but the MC does help a lot of peasants to use the system better.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Regarding the literacy, I guess the system would provide a [Comprehend Language] skill of some sort for skill points. Otherwise it just adjusts to the person "this symbol makes me stronk, if this thing next to symbol is bigger then I stronker" would probs be how stats work for the illiterate.

But yes, society would change, a lot, for better or for worse. Religion is exactly the first thing I thought of! Glad someone covered that.

Also I mentioned beasts like goblins appearing and no one seems to be mentioning that, so I'll put it in red now.

I'd like to credit this question to my head wanting to make a power fantasy but needed a necessary excuse as to why no one is built like the MC. The excuse was they were simply the first to think of it.
Yes, I believe that having a skill to make them comprehend what the system provide is fine.

Because from my own experience of making my own MC an illiterate system user, it is extremely crap. Ultimately I have to provide him with a scribe by his side to assist him in understanding whatever the system is saying instead of him keep piling on the Strength stat and becoming a gorilla.

How about this, you make the system into something intuitive, like granting the user a vague understanding should they be not educated.

Also, monsters are a bit of a level up to the usual shenanigans faced by rural villages and boy, religions can make a killing by having "monsters being god's punishment" and only those who join their group can learn how to better utilize their skills and stats.

Of course the nobles and royalities can see through the BS, but who knows, they themselves might try to bank on the idea to get more people to join them.

Depending on whether there are smart monsters like orcs and vampires, if yes then you will have a creation of a monster empire at hand.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
I'd like to cover the South American side of things. Not because I have any special knowledge of the area, but because I think it would be the most interesting change from our world.

The system would effectively jumpstart the Renaissance in the rest of the world, but in South America and North America, it would give them a huge advantage that they didn't previously have.

With the system, they would be able to mitigate some of the disadvantages they had, and also allow them to take advantage of the disgusting number of resources they have access to. Depending on how the system works, they might be able to level up skills like farming, carpentry, mining and smithing, and even advanced scientific or magic related skills. Healing and alchemy would be a great boon. They would effectively advance at the same rate as the rest of the world instead of remaining stalled out, while having access to swathes of untapped resources to grind skill levels with.

Monsters would exacerbate this. The more hunter gatherer and fortress city style of American civs would leave them in a better position to survive monster attacks. A tribe would be able to pick up and flee from dangerous monsters, while mountain top cities and cities that are used to primitive warfare would be difficult to reach and damage by low-to-mid level threats.

I also suspect that alot of old grudges will be set aside if the monsters prove to be too dangerous. City-states might form an empire, tribes might form confederations. That would put them in a much stronger position if the rest of the world ever managed to cross the ocean.

In the rest of the world, however, where populations are more widely spread and less mobile, monsters would be a plague. Large amounts of the population would be annihilated, with the survivors being protected by standing armies and evacuated into cities. Hopefully they would use the system to overcome this major obstacle to their growth, but you never know.

As to the system itself, the advantages it gives should equalize individuals as well as countries. If a tribe shares their ideal 'builds', then you might have large clusters of capable fighters appear out of nowhere. If a certain monster is too strong, people will avoid it, or create new builds that can destroy it...

After all, just because people are illiterate, doesn't mean they don't have any intelligence at all. An experienced hunter or soldier may not understand what the stats mean immediately, but it just takes a little effort to figure out which ones they need to increase the skills they already have. It's not a stretch for a hunter to pick up the r̶͖͙̩͈͚̪͇̠͙̍͒̈͆̈̀̽͝a̷̧̡̳͈̭͕̻̯̓͂n̷̨͓̝͖̝̠̹̟̥̺̤̟̈́̐̉̄́͆̔̄͘g̶̨̨̛̟̬͎̳͕̥͚͓̊̊̆͒͛́̿͐͂͐͐͝ͅe̸͈͚̤͉͓͓̠̎̔́̋̎͑͗̅̾̚͝͝͝r̴̮͖͈̯͍̒̈͑́̔͑̕͠ class and invest in Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution.

Hell, even if they pick a class that's useless to them, it'll still give them a boost compared to being unleveled.

If everyone in the world was given access to the system, it would be a race to figure out how it works, yes... But then you'd actually have to start leveling up as well. Countries with lots of people might experience infighting, assuming they survived the initial monster attacks. Countries with lots of resources would be more likely to share those resources in exchange for help with the system and monsters.

It would effectively flip-flop power dynamics the world over.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words

How about you insert a time traveler. Make him a geek from our universe, or maybe an alternate reality where the research of the system has progressed far and wide. This makes the MC's advantage more varied, comprehensive, and logical.

And as the plot thickens, the protagonist shall slowly unveil the source of where all these monsters come from...
FROM THE SYSTEM ITSELF!
OR MAYBE FROM SPACE!
OR UNDER THE DEPTHS OF EARTH OF AN UNTAPPED BIOME!
NOWHERE AS IN HELL
OR A DIMENSION BEYOND US!
FROM THE MC's TRANSMIGRATION!
OR MAYBE EVEN HIS MOM! (I just wanted to say this without rhyme or reason, but why not?)

Sorry about that, I am a sucker for Isekai and transmigration stuff...
Oh, and you also draw inspiration from a lot of historical stuff... 1400s huh?
Honestly, this is very interesting.