Exclude novels on hiatus from series ranking by default

uenala

This is a minor suggestion that I had based on conversations in the BL discord.

The issue:

New readers who come to SH wanting to read BL often click on Read > Genre > Boys Love.​
By default, this shows a series ranking by Popularity (Order: Descending) (Status: All)​
Some of us have observed that this ranking pretty much never changes, and series that have been on SH for longer (since 2019) tend to dominate this list. Views in the BL genre are strongly lopsided such that novels in the first page of the popularity ranking tend to collect more views whereas novels on the second page (and beyond) generally don't get much traffic from readers. BL as a genre tends to never reach trending (so it is almost irrelevant for us), so realistically speaking, it's difficult for a novel to get exposure except through the default ranking method on the site.​
While I think this is fair to rank stories by total pageviews, I think it would benefit a majority of active BL authors if novels on hiatus were filtered out of the ranking by default.​
Novels on hiatus occupy a number of slots on the page rankings and bump active stories into later pages where there is generally less exposure.​
Readers generally dislike dropped novels, so I think it would favor reader references to exclude novels on hiatus by default.​
Finally, it can be assumed that authors of dropped novels are no longer active on ScribbleHub, and it could be argued that if authors are going to drop their stories, they shouldn't continue to occupy the slots on the page rankings.​
To illustrate some numbers, for the 1st page of rankings on BL:​
  • Completed: 6/25 novels
  • Active: 7/25 novels
  • Hiatus: 12/25 novels
In other words, there are more novels on hiatus on the page ranking than active novels.​

The suggestion:

Change the default series ranking sort to: Popularity (Order: Descending) (Status: Not Hiatus)​
Of course, readers should be able to modify the ranking sort to include novels on hiatus (in case they what to see all the dropped novels for whatever reason), but I would like to suggest that the default sort be changed to focus on active and completed novels.​

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26725

This is a minor suggestion that I had based on conversations in the BL discord.

The issue:

New readers who come to SH wanting to read BL often click on Read > Genre > Boys Love.​
By default, this shows a series ranking by Popularity (Order: Descending) (Status: All)​
Some of us have observed that this ranking pretty much never changes, and series that have been on SH for longer (since 2019) tend to dominate this list. Views in the BL genre are strongly lopsided such that novels in the first page of the popularity ranking tend to collect more views whereas novels on the second page (and beyond) generally don't get much traffic from readers. BL as a genre tends to never reach trending (so it is almost irrelevant for us), so realistically speaking, it's difficult for a novel to get exposure except through the default ranking method on the site.​
While I think this is fair to rank stories by total pageviews, I think it would benefit a majority of active BL authors if novels on hiatus were filtered out of the ranking by default.​
Novels on hiatus occupy a number of slots on the page rankings and bump active stories into later pages where there is generally less exposure.​
Readers generally dislike dropped novels, so I think it would favor reader references to exclude novels on hiatus by default.​
Finally, it can be assumed that authors of dropped novels are no longer active on ScribbleHub, and it could be argued that if authors are going to drop their stories, they shouldn't continue to occupy the slots on the page rankings.​
To illustrate some numbers, for the 1st page of rankings on BL:​
  • Completed: 6/25 novels
  • Active: 7/25 novels
  • Hiatus: 12/25 novels
In other words, there are more novels on hiatus on the page ranking than active novels.​

The suggestion:

Change the default series ranking sort to: Popularity (Order: Descending) (Status: Not Hiatus)​
Of course, readers should be able to modify the ranking sort to include novels on hiatus (in case they what to see all the dropped novels for whatever reason), but I would like to suggest that the default sort be changed to focus on active and completed novels.​
It actually should be: (Status: Ongoing) or (Status: Complete)