Falcom's Greatest JPRG's [Trails Series & Ys Series]

AmericanWeeb

This is a discussion whose sole objective is to recommend this video game to RPG players! (Taken from Falcom's Server)

[Dhoom's Perspective]
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC + SC - The Third! (Liberl ARC)
[Continuation of the Game: No Feedbacks!]
The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki + Azure no Kiseki! (Crossbell ARC)
The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki 1 + 2 + 3 + 4! (Erebonia ARC)
The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki Rean Route + Lloyd Route + C Route! (ALL ARC)
The Legend of Heroes: ??? (Calvard ARC)

https://store.xseedgames.com/wp-con...of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-the-third-3rd.png
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the Third - Romhack done Right The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the Third - or as I will now refer to it as "3ird" is the 3rd entry in Falcon's long-running Legendary Heroes Saga. While the previous two games told the stories of Liberals fighting Aliens and Quasimoto-dimensional beings with the power of Orb mints, 3ird takes a different approach, focusing much more on the side characters, which is a damn shame because they are so much better than the main cast, it's almost not funny. Acting as a side story, you see more interesting characters in interesting situations and learn much more about the greater world of Eorzea. Drawing literary parallels from Dostoevsky's "War and Peace" and Michael Moore's "Sicko", the story in 3ird is the best out of the entire Tales of Franchise. Carried in particular by fantastic character vignettes, and character interactions not seen since Octopath Traveler in 2018, it really is amazing how Falcom learned so much from copying more successful video game developers, and their ability to copy and follow trends is very admirable and powerful. The characters are interesting, two dimensional, three dimensional, and most of all well written. The dialogue is snappy and well-typed, with not a single problem in the formatting of the text outside of a few dangling question marks.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...f_Heroes_Trails_in_the_Sky_Second_Chapter.jpg
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC is a fantastic sequel to an already good game. In what can only be described as a mix between Golden Sun and Fire Emblem, Tales of the Sky SC doubles down on what made the older Final Fantasy games great by proving once again that the best JRPG's of all time were produced by Tri-Ace in the early 2000s. I would go as far as to say that this is the Final Fantasy X of the 2000s, it's just that good. Nihon Falcon's second entry in the long-running Dragon Slayer saga picks up right at the end of FC, where Josh has left Estelle behind after realizing that he really was in fact the bad guy all along. Having vanished without a second rational thought, Josh leaves immediately to go hang out with the Akatsuki. Estelle leaves with her friend Anal Lace to go train in the woods, and after a very traumatic and horrifying experience, Estelle realizes that harmonica is only capable of creating awful music. Returning characters Tifa, Calvin, and Adol have their back-sides expanded upon, and much like sunscreen, gets everywhere and makes you feel good. Other characters include the very dull and uninteresting Chloe von Einzburn, and Zin the Avatar references to Orie and Aang specifically. Estelle continues to be the star of the show; brandishing a very large stick and a mouth that would get her sent to the principal's office, Estelle leads the gang very obviously, and it's clear from the get-go that she will be the one that takes the final step to villainhood. The visuals are nice, taking inspiration from Breath of The Wild and Dragon Quest XII

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/251150/capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1598571543
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC has made me realize why people miss old-fashioned Final Fantasy titles. The video game, developed by Nihon Falcon, is a Japanese JRPG that takes queues from a number of established JRPG's including Nintendo's very own Xenoblade Chronicles, Aquaplus's Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception, and Bandai Namco's very own Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Additionally, using some clever story bits, and a very underrated reference to Thanos' infamous Snap, Trails in the Sky contains such incredible writing and settings that even those who disliked Blade Runner 2049 will still enjoy the franchise. The game stars two cousins as they travel along the countryside, in search of their mother Lina (named after Lina Inverse from Dota 2)'s husband. The husband, named Cade, has left the world of Liberal to the nation of Amestris to partake in stopping a deadly military plot from the nation of Ebony. As the cousins travel across the country, they encounter all sorts of wonderous folk including a Zany martial arts man, a dominatrix Motoko-Kusanagi inspired whippersnapper Scheherezade, and the charming but deadly Oliver. With a combat system that combines the best elements of Fire Emblem's incredible partner system and a soundtrack so good it could have been composed by Uematsu, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC is a fantastic entry into the long-running franchise, and is a definite must-play for all fans of Light Novels, Manga, and Cartoons worldwide. 9/10
18uzodnebml51.png
[Giru子 Timeline]

The Ys series is all about the red-haired Adol Christin traveling and having adventures (bar one prequel) all around the world (based on our own). Each game represents one of the ~100 travelogues written by Adol himself. The gameplay is the most important aspect of the series. Playing the series for the story while ignoring the gameplay means doing a disserve to yourself, although there's a lot of attention given to characters, plot details, lore, etc. in order to ensure that nothing bothers the player, either plot or character-wise.

There are multiple games. Some are newer versions of old games, which replace them in terms of canonicity. Falcom doesn't release these games in chronological order, so there's no reason to think that's an order newcomer must play the games. It's recommended to follow a release order: gameplay evolves that way + each game's lore builds on top of the previous games, although most games don't require any prior knowledge.

Release order (+ canon games only) is Ys I & II: Chronicles (remake), Ark of Napishtim, Oath in Felghana, Origin, Seven, Memories of Celceta, Lacrimosa of Dana, and Monstrum Nox.

So far we know the following travelogues (+ Adol's age):

1º: The old forgotten kingdom (Ys I & II) (17 years old) - Prologue (Ys I) - The last chapter (Ys II)

2º: Celceta, the sea of trees (Ys IV) (18) - Ys IV: The Mask of the Sun (not canon) - Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (not canon) - Ys: Memories of Celceta

3º: Felghana's travelogue (Ys III) (19) - Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (not canon) - Ys: The Oath in Felgahana

4º: Kefin, the capital of sand (Ys V) (20) - Ys V: Kefin: the Lost City of Sand (not canon)

5º: Periplus of the Gaete Sea (Ys VIII) (21) - Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

6º: Searching for the Winged Ones (Ys VI) (23) - Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim 7º: The colossal five dragons from Altago (Ys VII) (six months after Ys VI) - Ys Seven

8º: Balduq's Craddle (Ys IX) (24 years old) - Ys IX: Monstrum Nox

Thanks for Reading! (PLAY TOLH AND YS NOW!)

Last edited:

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
This is a discussion whose sole objective is to recommend this video game to RPG players! (Taken from Falcom's Server)

[Dhoom's Perspective]
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC + SC - The Third! (Liberl ARC)
[Continuation of the Game: No Feedbacks!]
The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki + Azure no Kiseki! (Crossbell ARC)
The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki 1 + 2 + 3 + 4! (Erebonia ARC)
The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki Rean Route + Lloyd Route + C Route! (ALL ARC)

https://store.xseedgames.com/wp-con...of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-the-third-3rd.png
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the Third - Romhack done Right The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the Third - or as I will now refer to it as "3ird" is the 3rd entry in Falcon's long-running Legendary Heroes Saga. While the previous two games told the stories of Liberals fighting Aliens and Quasimoto-dimensional beings with the power of Orb mints, 3ird takes a different approach, focusing much more on the side characters, which is a damn shame because they are so much better than the main cast, it's almost not funny. Acting as a side story, you see more interesting characters in interesting situations and learn much more about the greater world of Eorzea. Drawing literary parallels from Dostoevsky's "War and Peace" and Michael Moore's "Sicko", the story in 3ird is the best out of the entire Tales of Franchise. Carried in particular by fantastic character vignettes, and character interactions not seen since Octopath Traveler in 2018, it really is amazing how Falcom learned so much from copying more successful video game developers, and their ability to copy and follow trends is very admirable and powerful. The characters are interesting, two dimensional, three dimensional, and most of all well written. The dialogue is snappy and well-typed, with not a single problem in the formatting of the text outside of a few dangling question marks.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...f_Heroes_Trails_in_the_Sky_Second_Chapter.jpg
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC is a fantastic sequel to an already good game. In what can only be described as a mix between Golden Sun and Fire Emblem, Tales of the Sky SC doubles down on what made the older Final Fantasy games great by proving once again that the best JRPG's of all time were produced by Tri-Ace in the early 2000s. I would go as far as to say that this is the Final Fantasy X of the 2000s, it's just that good. Nihon Falcon's second entry in the long-running Dragon Slayer saga picks up right at the end of FC, where Josh has left Estelle behind after realizing that he really was in fact the bad guy all along. Having vanished without a second rational thought, Josh leaves immediately to go hang out with the Akatsuki. Estelle leaves with her friend Anal Lace to go train in the woods, and after a very traumatic and horrifying experience, Estelle realizes that harmonica is only capable of creating awful music. Returning characters Tifa, Calvin, and Adol have their back-sides expanded upon, and much like sunscreen, gets everywhere and makes you feel good. Other characters include the very dull and uninteresting Chloe von Einzburn, and Zin the Avatar references to Orie and Aang specifically. Estelle continues to be the star of the show; brandishing a very large stick and a mouth that would get her sent to the principal's office, Estelle leads the gang very obviously, and it's clear from the get-go that she will be the one that takes the final step to villainhood. The visuals are nice, taking inspiration from Breath of The Wild and Dragon Quest XII

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/251150/capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1598571543
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC has made me realize why people miss old-fashioned Final Fantasy titles. The video game, developed by Nihon Falcon, is a Japanese JRPG that takes queues from a number of established JRPG's including Nintendo's very own Xenoblade Chronicles, Aquaplus's Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception, and Bandai Namco's very own Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Additionally, using some clever story bits, and a very underrated reference to Thanos' infamous Snap, Trails in the Sky contains such incredible writing and settings that even those who disliked Blade Runner 2049 will still enjoy the franchise. The game stars two cousins as they travel along the countryside, in search of their mother Lina (named after Lina Inverse from Dota 2)'s husband. The husband, named Cade, has left the world of Liberal to the nation of Amestris to partake in stopping a deadly military plot from the nation of Ebony. As the cousins travel across the country, they encounter all sorts of wonderous folk including a Zany martial arts man, a dominatrix Motoko-Kusanagi inspired whippersnapper Scheherezade, and the charming but deadly Oliver. With a combat system that combines the best elements of Fire Emblem's incredible partner system and a soundtrack so good it could have been composed by Uematsu, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC is a fantastic entry into the long-running franchise, and is a definite must-play for all fans of Light Novels, Manga, and Cartoons worldwide. 9/10

[Giru子 Timeline]

The Ys series is all about the red-haired Adol Christin traveling and having adventures (bar one prequel) all around the world (based on our own). Each game represents one of the ~100 travelogues written by Adol himself. The gameplay is the most important aspect of the series. Playing the series for the story while ignoring the gameplay means doing a disserve to yourself, although there's a lot of attention given to characters, plot details, lore, etc. in order to ensure that nothing bothers the player, either plot or character-wise.

There are multiple games. Some are newer versions of old games, which replace them in terms of canonicity. Falcom doesn't release these games in chronological order, so there's no reason to think that's an order newcomer must play the games. It's recommended to follow a release order: gameplay evolves that way + each game's lore builds on top of the previous games, although most games don't require any prior knowledge.

Release order (+ canon games only) is Ys I & II: Chronicles (remake), Ark of Napishtim, Oath in Felghana, Origin, Seven, Memories of Celceta, Lacrimosa of Dana, and Monstrum Nox.

So far we know the following travelogues (+ Adol's age):

1º: The old forgotten kingdom (Ys I & II) (17 years old) - Prologue (Ys I) - The last chapter (Ys II)

2º: Celceta, the sea of trees (Ys IV) (18) - Ys IV: The Mask of the Sun (not canon) - Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (not canon) - Ys: Memories of Celceta

3º: Felghana's travelogue (Ys III) (19) - Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (not canon) - Ys: The Oath in Felgahana

4º: Kefin, the capital of sand (Ys V) (20) - Ys V: Kefin: the Lost City of Sand (not canon)

5º: Periplus of the Gaete Sea (Ys VIII) (21) - Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

6º: Searching for the Winged Ones (Ys VI) (23) - Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim 7º: The colossal five dragons from Altago (Ys VII) (six months after Ys VI) - Ys Seven

8º: Balduq's Craddle (Ys IX) (24 years old) - Ys IX: Monstrum Nox

Thanks for Reading! (PLAY TOLH AND YS NOW!)
|.o)
I've already played Trails of Cold Steel 1, 2 and 3. I'm waiting for 4 to be released in English.
I've played Ys Origin and have partially played Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana.
I have to say, they're all really good games.

I wish I could play the others but I both don't have the money, nor the platforms to play them.
orz

It's nice to see another fan of these games, though.
(^-^)

X

AmericanWeeb

|.o)
I've already played Trails of Cold Steel 1, 2 and 3. I'm waiting for 4 to be released in English.
I've played Ys Origin and have partially played Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana.
I have to say, they're all really good games.

I wish I could play the others but I both don't have the money, nor the platforms to play them.
orz

It's nice to see another fan of these games, though.
(^-^)

X
I'm actually waiting for Sen no Kiseki 4, Hajimari no Kiseki, and Ys IX because I've already played every series there is (besides most of the Ys non-canon games) and they are indeed amazing and fun to play! It's nice to see a fellow Author playing Falcom's game too.

HokuouTenrou

I just hope for Hajimari!Rean, it doesn't default to Alisa route; never liked her, always picked Laura

Sii

I bought Trails in the Sky when it was on sale on Steam. I still have to play it, haven’t had much time to play anything really, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Trails series so I’m really looking forward to starting it up and getting deep into it.

BlissyMKW

I bought Trails in the Sky when it was on sale on Steam. I still have to play it, haven’t had much time to play anything really, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Trails series so I’m really looking forward to starting it up and getting deep into it.
Hoo boy, you're in for a show.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Damn, I am excited to play the latest game that Falcom will bestow upon us because I've been bored from these past months.