[Fallout: NV] Ceaser's Legion is a literal joke taken too far

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I can never understand how anyone would side with Ceaser's Legion in their first run. They behave like they just stepped out of a Monty Phyton movie. It's just an assembly of people who can't think for themselves multiplied into ayy lmao numbers in order for it to work. I cannot believe not even ONE SOLDIER questioned its leader or even tried to start an uprising. Even the NCR had some guys who turned into Powder Gangers and took over a Correctional Facility. You're telling me not ONE guy or ONE slave had the idea of swimming their way to mainland?

The leader Ceaser himself isn't even some great dictator. He's just an obsessed old man who teached one tribe to use guns and subsequently got crowned King by said tribe before proceeding to pillage and rape 82 other tribes and uniting them all under one flag. Namely, Ceaser's Legion. Fuck me, the hierarchy is so fragile, without Lanius, they would literally topple if the head's dead.

FUCK, THEY EVEN GAVE CEASER BRAIN TUMOR IN THE FINAL MAIN QUEST. YOU CAN KILL CEASER IN HIS OWN FINAL MAIN QUEST. Hell with enough Medicine points you could even get away with it.

I'm not saying Ceaser's Legion wouldn't work. By the time one guy even thought to question the Legion the whole fucking thing would've been too far gone to even consider. Having a crowd of mouth breathing rednecks put on costumes to go to war for you DOES WORK. Hell, even Ceaser's ideology made some degree of sense.

It's just that I can never take them seriously. It's an ironic joke of an army taken too far, lead by a senile old man who's the Authoritarian version of an extreme right-wing supporter in Roman cosplay. Fucking Lanius would have been better as a leader, and he can be TALKED into retreating a war HE started in the final quest.

Look, it's a great concept with great execution made by the legendary Obsidian Softworks. It's just that, from my POV, it just seems like a joke someone made during planning stage, and that everyone looked at each other, snickered, and haven't stopped snickering until they finally shipped the game only when somebody asked, "This was a joke, right?" By that time there were so many layers of irony in it that the devs just gave up treated it as serious as it is.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I can never understand how anyone would side with Ceaser's Legion in their first run. They behave like they just stepped out of a Monty Phyton movie. It's just an assembly of people who can't think for themselves multiplied into ayy lmao numbers in order for it to work. I cannot believe not even ONE SOLDIER questioned its leader or even tried to start an uprising. Even the NCR had some guys who turned into Powder Gangers and took over a Correctional Facility. You're telling me not ONE guy or ONE slave had the idea of swimming their way to mainland?

The leader Ceaser himself isn't even some great dictator. He's just an obsessed old man who teached one tribe to use guns and subsequently got crowned King by said tribe before proceeding to pillage and rape 82 other tribes and uniting them all under one flag. Namely, Ceaser's Legion. Fuck me, the hierarchy is so fragile, without Lanius, they would literally topple if the head's dead.

FUCK, THEY EVEN GAVE CEASER BRAIN TUMOR IN THE FINAL MAIN QUEST. YOU CAN KILL CEASER IN HIS OWN FINAL MAIN QUEST. Hell with enough Medicine points you could even get away with it.

I'm not saying Ceaser's Legion wouldn't work. By the time one guy even thought to question the Legion the whole fucking thing would've been too far gone to even consider. Having a crowd of mouth breathing rednecks put on costumes to go to war for you DOES WORK. Hell, even Ceaser's ideology made some degree of sense.

It's just that I can never take them seriously. It's an ironic joke of an army taken too far, lead by a senile old man who's the Authoritarian version of an extreme right-wing supporter in Roman cosplay. Fucking Lanius would have been better as a leader, and he can be TALKED into retreating a war HE started in the final quest.

Look, it's a great concept with great execution made by the legendary Obsidian Softworks. It's just that, from my POV, it just seems like a joke someone made during planning stage, and that everyone looked at each other, snickered, and haven't stopped snickering until they finally shipped the game only when somebody asked, "This was a joke, right?" By that time there were so many layers of irony in it that the devs just gave up treated it as serious as it is.
Implying Monty Python movies arent masterpieces....you think you know a person. Smh

Bloodysin28

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 114

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
well, quite a few bits of fallout are either taking the mickey out of something (or someone) or they're like ideas that snowballed and they decided to run with it.

it's a post-apocalyptic world. common sense, any sort of rationality and logic got vaporized in the blasts. hell, the entire idea of the vaults is one titanic country-level troll.

If anything, New Vegas's plots were really the best of the bunch having been crafted by those who helped craft the first two games way back. That all the factions were actually proper parts of the story (and not just semi-pointless bolt-ons like they were in FO3).

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
So, this has nothing to do with the original feel of the post but I've been itching to ask this after observing many others in other discussions, and no I'm not Republican so don't call me "right-wing". I'm not Demoncrat either though. But I don't see why it's always 'right-wing' when it comes to extremists or authoritarian when left-wing people are the ones currently exploiting the weakness of US political system. Left-wing's are currently going 'extremist' like. Left-wing's are just as authoritarian as right wing. They simply hide behind it by calling themselves a party for "everyone". Until you disagree with them. Sounds pretty tyrannical to me. Don't believe me?

Tell one of them you don't agree with (insert random left-biased cause), and see how long they associate with you. Then wait until they start calling you racist/bigoted/insert other weak ass insult because they don't actually have any true argument.

The right has its issues, but everyone is so quick to jump on them. But everybody gets silent when the left is involved when they are just as bad, and do the same shit people insult the right for doing. I've never understood people and their concept of politics. Why is it okay to insult one but not the other. And while i've seen people insult the left here, its a lot more hush hush. I have pm's of people saying they dislike left ideology, but then jump right on the bandwagon of insulting the right and praising some leftist belief the next day.

Seems to me most people don't actually have a stance. They just follow whatever their equally braindead buddies and family agree with without making even an iota of effort to research on their own. It actually blows my mind that people keep calling the US a democracy anyway when it isn't.

It's a Constitutional Federated Republic. Their is no democracy in our government except the system of representation, which is endemic in other republic governments as well and not even unique to a democracy. Calling the US a democracy has just been lipservice from recent politicans/preidents. The popular vote doesn't actually decide the president. The Electoral votes granted by the electoral college have more weight behind them then the actual people. The popular vote from each state supposedly tells those of the electoral college representing whatever state how to vote, but the college does NOT actually have to vote alongside what their states votes. That is a misconception. If they had to, we would be a Democratic-Republic. But we aren't, and they don't. That's why we are a Republic. Not a democracy.

Last edited:

mostlyharmfulll

TeaMate since day 1
You should always keep in mind that NV was created within months, which is a extremely short time for a game of this size. So they had to work fast since Bethesda was breathing down their neck. So I guess they just took something that would be unique from the other Fallouts and ran with it.
And I always assumed that caesar barely did anything. I guess he was a big shot when he united the clans and founded the legions, but at the time you meet him in the game, he is long past his prime. The reason the legion still stands is probably because many of his followers still remember the old caesar and feel loyal to him. And the ones who don´t are to afraid to speak up.

Karver

Ave, true to Caesar
All that aside I think that a melee focused faction has a pretty strong place as fast as conceivability is concerned. It also does wonders from a game balance perspective. Honestly, the only thing that I really don't get is the aversion to technology that they have.

Sabruness

You should always keep in mind that NV was created within months, which is a extremely short time for a game of this size. So they had to work fast since Bethesda was breathing down their neck. So I guess they just took something that would be unique from the other Fallouts and ran with it.
And I always assumed that caesar barely did anything. I guess he was a big shot when he united the clans and founded the legions, but at the time you meet him in the game, he is long past his prime. The reason the legion still stands is probably because many of his followers still remember the old caesar and feel loyal to him. And the ones who don´t are to afraid to speak up.
They actually used some of the ideas originally meant for Van Buren, which was set to be F03 before interplay went bankrupt and died, including the legion as well as the Brotherhood/NCR war. VB was actually set in the southwest just east of what became the NV map (hoover dam is literally basically the dividing point).

Caesar's Legion, like a lot of fallout stuff, has it's full story told outside of the game with only parts of it told through dialog from caesar in the game.

Ave, true to Caesar
All that aside I think that a melee focused faction has a pretty strong place as fast as conceivability is concerned. It also does wonders from a game balance perspective. Honestly, the only thing that I really don't get is the aversion to technology that they have.
They're not anti-technology, per se, just that functioning well maintained weapons are rare and reserved for high ranking legionaries like veterans and centurions who are trained to maximize the use of them and to maintain them. They're not uncommon in the lower ranks, just usually in a poor state of repair, so the standard kit is melee weapons which even the dumbest trooper can use.

Both posters, i would recommend these links for the full story on the Legion:

HonestMistake

Did you not play the Honest Hearts DLC? A guy did call out the legion for its bullshit. Joshua Graham, Ceasars strongest and best legionarie. They burned the dude alive and threw him into the Grand Canyon. Still didn't kill him.

Sabruness

Did you not play the Honest Hearts DLC? A guy did call out the legion for its bullshit. Joshua Graham, Ceasars strongest and best legionarie. They burned the dude alive and threw him into the Grand Canyon. Still didn't kill him.
well, the calling out on the bullshit of caesar's legion came after his "death". He was executed for failing to take hoover dam the first time and it was the spark to his.. "enlightenment" about all the bullshit surrounding the legion and Caesar's tyranny as well as his complicity as a co-founder.

honestly, Honest Hearts had the absolute best story of the DLC, and legit of any fallout DLC, because of him and his backstory.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So, this has nothing to do with the original feel of the post but I've been itching to ask this after observing many others in other discussions, and no I'm not Republican so don't call me "right-wing". I'm not Demoncrat either though. But I don't see why it's always 'right-wing' when it comes to extremists or authoritarian when left-wing people are the ones currently exploiting the weakness of US political system. Left-wing's are currently going 'extremist' like. Left-wing's are just as authoritarian as right wing. They simply hide behind it by calling themselves a party for "everyone". Until you disagree with them. Sounds pretty tyrannical to me. Don't believe me?

Tell one of them you don't agree with (insert random left-biased cause), and see how long they associate with you. Then wait until they start calling you racist/bigoted/insert other weak ass insult because they don't actually have any true argument.

The right has its issues, but everyone is so quick to jump on them. But everybody gets silent when the left is involved when they are just as bad, and do the same shit people insult the right for doing. I've never understood people and their concept of politics. Why is it okay to insult one but not the other. And while i've seen people insult the left here, its a lot more hush hush. I have pm's of people saying they dislike left ideology, but then jump right on the bandwagon of insulting the right and praising some leftist belief the next day.

Seems to me most people don't actually have a stance. They just follow whatever their equally braindead buddies and family agree with without making even an iota of effort to research on their own. It actually blows my mind that people keep calling the US a democracy anyway when it isn't.

It's a Constitutional Federated Republic. Their is no democracy in our government except the system of representation, which is endemic in other republic governments as well and not even unique to a democracy. Calling the US a democracy has just been lipservice from recent politicans/preidents. The popular vote doesn't actually decide the president. The Electoral votes granted by the electoral college have more weight behind them then the actual people. The popular vote from each state supposedly tells those of the electoral college representing whatever state how to vote, but the college does NOT actually have to vote alongside what their states votes. That is a misconception. If they had to, we would be a Democratic-Republic. But we aren't, and they don't. That's why we are a Republic. Not a democracy.
Its a broken system but a necessary one. I dont think you even begin to understand how much more fucked we would be if things were more fair and equal.

Those things dont inspire motivation to excel. The current system does motivate peoppe if only to escape the mediocre lives they may have otherwise. The problem isnt the systems in place, but the people.

Those who dont want change just dont want to lose their power. And those who want more equality dont even understand how dangerous that is if they arent careful.

If people can stop being so greedy and ignorant we wouldnt have such chaos.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Its a broken system but a necessary one. I dont think you even begin to understand how much more fucked we would be if things were more fair and equal.

Those things dont inspire motivation to excel. The current system does motivate peoppe if only to escape the mediocre lives they may have otherwise. The problem isnt the systems in place, but the people.

Those who dont want change just dont want to lose their power. And those who want more equality dont even understand how dangerous that is if they arent careful.

If people can stop being so greedy and ignorant we wouldnt have such chaos.

No I wasn't complaining. I know that a pur4 democracy would be shitstorm. I wasn't complaining. I was explaining because most people dont believe me when I say we are not a democracy. I would be terrified of living in a genuine democracy. A true democracy becomes a monarchy or some other form of dictatorship if given enough time. Ancient greek philosophers all the way to our own founding fathers have cautioned against a genuine democracy.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
No I wasn't complaining. I know that a pur4 democracy would be shitstorm. I wasn't complaining. I was explaining because most people dont believe me when I say we are not a democracy. I would be terrified of living in a genuine democracy. A true democracy becomes a monarchy or some other form of dictatorship if given enough time. Ancient greek philosophers all the way to our own founding fathers have cautioned against a genuine democracy.
Never said you were complaining. But yeah people dont understand a lot of the inner workings of the current system and how any pure system will have its major issues.

BenJepheneT

well, the calling out on the bullshit of caesar's legion came after his "death". He was executed for failing to take hoover dam the first time and it was the spark to his.. "enlightenment" about all the bullshit surrounding the legion and Caesar's tyranny as well as his complicity as a co-founder.

honestly, Honest Hearts had the absolute best story of the DLC, and legit of any fallout DLC, because of him and his backstory.
You can't expect God to do all the work, can you?

BenJepheneT

well, quite a few bits of fallout are either taking the mickey out of something (or someone) or they're like ideas that snowballed and they decided to run with it.

it's a post-apocalyptic world. common sense, any sort of rationality and logic got vaporized in the blasts. hell, the entire idea of the vaults is one titanic country-level troll.

If anything, New Vegas's plots were really the best of the bunch having been crafted by those who helped craft the first two games way back. That all the factions were actually proper parts of the story (and not just semi-pointless bolt-ons like they were in FO3).
At least The Followers of Apocalypse or the Brotherhood of Steel made some semblance of sense. One is a bunch of UNESCO leftovers and the others are techies.

Then there's Ceaser's Legion, where the reason they even existed in the first place was because Ceaser himself had a massive penis of an ego that pillaged his way into a fucken army that couldn't think past their football helmets.

I'm not saying it doesn't make any sense, I'm just saying that among factions like the NCR, the Powder Gangers- hell, even the Ultra Luxe and the Great Khans; Ceaser's Legion seem to run entirely out pure belief for the leader. So far I haven't seen a guy that directly contradicts Papa Khan but hell, I don't see anyone stroking his massive fucken cock going, Oi, true to Papa.

Ceaser's Legion is plausible as a faction, but the way it's run and how everyone acts are just way too serious to be taken seriously. You remember the slave giving healing powder in the fort who put way too many Broc Flowers with a Xander Root? Maybe that's why. Everyone's so high on healing powder they lost all sense of Perception.

I mentioned Right Wing as in the stereotype, hillbilly Chevy truck Facebook boomer, not as a representation of my actual belief. Not saying that you're accusing me, just saying that I'm only using it as a joke.

I know, and it's a damn shame, because if NV is 18 months, then I don't want to imagine a full 5 year development cycle.

Why did Bethesda get the 5 years? They robbed it from Obsidian. And now we get a a backward savage retard who treats technology as a HOOGABOOLOO boogie man multiplied into a FACTION.

BenJepheneT

(and not just semi-pointless bolt-ons like they were in FO3)
I've actually been meaning to play FO3 for a while, after finishing FO2. Should I? What should I expect after coming off from the great New Vegas?

LostLibrarian

I've actually been meaning to play FO3 for a while, after finishing FO2. Should I? What should I expect after coming off from the great New Vegas?
FO3 will dumb down your experience and its story enough so that you'll be ready for FO4 afterwards :blob_whistle:

Sabruness

Caeaser's Legion seem to run entirely out pure belief for the leader
Well, that's exactly the point. It's Imperial Rome in one of it's megalomaniacal cult of personality phases. It's an utter clusterfuck of shittery all to serve one nutjob. I suppose thats what makes Joshua Graham's story, and Honest Hearts, so good is you get to hear a little bit about just how much of a shitpit it is from someone who helped found it and watched (sometimes helped) it turn into what it became when you meet them in NV.
The faction just lacks the clear-cut information supply that most of the other major factions get.

the story itself is decent, the gameplay isnt that much different from New Vegas but it feels.... emptier at times and the factions are kinda background characters, except when the plot requires them. At times, you can feel how the game might have turned out with more and thorough thinking and development. It's worth a play but, coming from NV, it wont feel as good as someone playing it who's new to the franchise.
If you're going to play it, get the DLC. Especially the Pitt and Point Lookout.

If you've played FO4, FO3 might feel kinda like a sorta prequel as there is a link between them via the brotherhood of steel.

BenJepheneT

the story itself is decent, the gameplay isnt that much different from New Vegas but it feels.... emptier at times and the factions are kinda background characters, except when the plot requires them. At times, you can feel how the game might have turned out with more and thorough thinking and development. It's worth a play but, coming from NV, it wont feel as good as someone playing it who's new to the franchise.
If you're going to play it, get the DLC. Especially the Pitt and Point Lookout.

If you've played FO4, FO3 might feel kinda like a sorta prequel as there is a link between them via the brotherhood of steel.
I made a mistake starting with New Vegas, haven't I?