Fans of Shadiversity?

TheMangaGod

NOT a Yandere Imouto Loli Goddess I Swear
So I am a huge fan of the YouTube content creator Shadiversity and watch his video's constantly while working. I especially love his take's on how combat would work in a medieval fantasy setting and how to think of the world you create with that in mind. Would the world you're creating have a different architecture style because of magic or not have castle's because they don't make sense? These type's of questions are great! I also love his "rule of cool" saying that for certain things, even if they make no sense, they can still be added just for the "cool" factor. Anyways are any of you guys fans of his and if so what's your favorite topic he does? Oh and...

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I like castles. They always make sense in a medieval setting, imao. So when do they not make sense?

TheMangaGod

I like castles. They always make sense in a medieval setting, imao. So when do they not make sense?
In one of his videos on castle's in a fantasy setting he talks about dragons and super destructive magic and depending on the prevalence of those two castle's won't be able to fulfill their intended purpose. Basically a castle has two purposes, one as a home for a lord or particularly wealthy individual and two as a military installation to protect a specific area. For an example look at GoT and how useless a castle is against a dragon.

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
In one of his videos on castle's in a fantasy setting he talks about dragons and super destructive magic and depending on the prevalence of those two castle's won't be able to fulfill their intended purpose. Basically a castle has two purposes, one as a home for a lord or particularly wealthy individual and two as a military installation to protect a specific area. For an example look at GoT and how useless a castle is against a dragon.
How many people are running around with super destructive magic? Does the lord/king in that castle not employ mages with equally destructive magic to fight off would be attackers?

How many people are rocking dragons like they’re jewelry? Are they just common run of the mill beasts? If they are, why doesn’t the lord/king have some too?

Castles and walled cities fell out of favor because of artillery becoming so widespread. If only a select number of groups had it, then they would still have walls to repel the foot soldiers attacking.

In a medieval world, where the vast majority of armies/opponents don’t have the ability to break through your walls, a fortress makes a lot of sense.

Most books I’ve read do not have mages capable to destroying cities or dragons leveling countries in abundance. There’d be little interesting in a world that is nothing more than ash because of the popularity of city destroying powers.

Assurbanipal_II

We have the full arsenal of ABC weapons at our disposal, yet modern states still maintain large conventional armies. The Cold War is a good example where NATO and the Warsaw Pact fielded million strong armies. Why so if they are basically useless against weapons of mass destruction?

Because we live in a world where the principle of proportional response is applied. You need a credible threat to counteract to minor threats that don't require the full-scale use of your powers, not to mention to avoid collateral damage.

Indeed, you can flatten the castle with your super destructive spell, but you will also flatten the entire city you want to conquer. You don't want to conquer a smouldering ruin, though. As such, you have to take the city by conventional means and suddenly the castle becomes useful again as a strong point.

TheMangaGod

How many people are running around with super destructive magic? Does the lord/king in that castle not employ mages with equally destructive magic to fight off would be attackers?

How many people are rocking dragons like they’re jewelry? Are they just common run of the mill beasts? If they are, why doesn’t the lord/king have some too?

Castles and walled cities fell out of favor because of artillery becoming so widespread. If only a select number of groups had it, then they would still have walls to repel the foot soldiers attacking.

In a medieval world, where the vast majority of armies/opponents don’t have the ability to break through your walls, a fortress makes a lot of sense.

We have the full arsenal of ABC weapons at our disposal, yet modern states still maintain large conventional armies. The Cold War is a good example where NATO and the Warsaw Pact fielded million strong armies. Why so if they are basically useless against weapons of mass destruction?

Because we live in a world where the principle of proportional response is applied. You need a credible threat to counteract to minor threats that don't require the full-scale use of your powers, not to mention to avoid collateral damage.

Indeed, you can flatten the castle with your super destructive spell, but you will also flatten the entire city you want to conquer. You don't want to conquer a smouldering ruin, though. As such, you have to take the city by conventional means and suddenly the castle becomes useful again as a strong point.
I agree and he mentions that in that same video but also says that under certain circumstances it makes sense to possibly change the design to match the intended purpose. For instance he says that if a castle is built in an area with lots of flying creature's you should probably mention how exactly it is used to defend against said creatures. Oh and if said creature's can be tamed what effect that will have on siege warfare. He brings up all those topics. He even has a video on fighting dragons and how feasible it actually is. And what weapons you should use and more importantly what weapons wouldn't be worth a crap.

TheMangaGod

A good thing to mention here is we no longer use castle's in our modern day because our offensive weaponry has advanced so far past our defensive weaponry that they are completely useless.

Assurbanipal_II

A good thing to mention here is we no longer use castle's in our modern day because our offensive weaponry has advanced so far past our defensive weaponry that they are completely useless.
Here you go!

Understanding War by Trevor Dupuy’

To some modern military thinkers this is a truism needing no explanation or justification. Others have asserted that prepared defenses are attractive traps to be avoided at all costs. Such assertions, however, either ignore or misread historical examples. History is so fickle that it is dangerous for historians to use such words as “always” or “never.” Nevertheless I offer a bold counter-assertion: never in history has a defense been weakened by the availability of fortifications; defensive works always enhance combat strength. At the very least, fortifications will delay an attacker and add to his casualties; at best, fortifications will enable the defender to defeat the attacker.

Anyone who suggests that breakthroughs of defensive positions in recent history demonstrate the bankruptcy of defensive posture and/or fortifications is seriously deceiving himself and is misinterpreting modern history. One can cite as historical examples the overcoming of the Maginot Line, the Mannerheim Line, the Siegfried Line, and the Bar Lev Line, and from these examples conclude that these fortifications failed. Such a conclusion is absolutely wrong. It is true that all of these fortifications were overcome, but only because a powerful enemy was willing to make a massive and costly effort. (Of course, the Maginot Line was not attacked frontally in 1940; the Germans were so impressed by its defensive strength that they bypassed it, and were threatening its rear when France surrendered.) All of these fortifications afforded time for the defenders to make new dispositions, to bring up reserves, or to mobilize. All were intended to obstruct, to permit the defenders to punish the attackers and, above all to delay; all were successful in these respects. The Bar Lev Line, furthermore, saved Israel from disastrous defeat, and became the base for a successful offensive.

TheMangaGod

Understanding War by Trevor Dupuy’

To some modern military thinkers this is a truism needing no explanation or justification. Others have asserted that prepared defenses are attractive traps to be avoided at all costs. Such assertions, however, either ignore or misread historical examples. History is so fickle that it is dangerous for historians to use such words as “always” or “never.” Nevertheless I offer a bold counter-assertion: never in history has a defense been weakened by the availability of fortifications; defensive works always enhance combat strength. At the very least, fortifications will delay an attacker and add to his casualties; at best, fortifications will enable the defender to defeat the attacker.

Anyone who suggests that breakthroughs of defensive positions in recent history demonstrate the bankruptcy of defensive posture and/or fortifications is seriously deceiving himself and is misinterpreting modern history. One can cite as historical examples the overcoming of the Maginot Line, the Mannerheim Line, the Siegfried Line, and the Bar Lev Line, and from these examples conclude that these fortifications failed. Such a conclusion is absolutely wrong. It is true that all of these fortifications were overcome, but only because a powerful enemy was willing to make a massive and costly effort. (Of course, the Maginot Line was not attacked frontally in 1940; the Germans were so impressed by its defensive strength that they bypassed it, and were threatening its rear when France surrendered.) All of these fortifications afforded time for the defenders to make new dispositions, to bring up reserves, or to mobilize. All were intended to obstruct, to permit the defenders to punish the attackers and, above all to delay; all were successful in these respects. The Bar Lev Line, furthermore, saved Israel from disastrous defeat, and became the base for a successful offensive.
Okay I will grant those, mostly because I didn't know about any of those. But did you actually watch the video because he does actually decide that in most fantasy settings castle's would be useful but it's up to the writer to make sure they still make sense. Keeping a castle exactly as is in a fantasy world that has an overabundance of say explosion type magic or flying creature's makes no sense the same as using a castle in modern day makes no sense. The examples you gave were of modern defensive structures that are entirely different from castles. You could not call any of them castles as far as I know.

Fromage

Peerless member

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Well, I have watched his channel and one from his competition, the weird accent (russian?) guy, and thanks to them, I had to continuously check whether some of my battle scenes make sense. One of the most face palm part when I watch the channel of how he talks about Super Strength (Kyle Hill linked me to him) is that he has the tendency to repeat himself and not get to the point until towards the end of video. The same with his take on Super Speed. I love how he tries to include monsters in and their weapon of choice though, especially on the lamia (legless, not legolas)

Jemini

His fantasy re-armed series is definitely great. Thanks to that, I've already planned out a scene where an army of fairies drop flachets on an army of human soldiers and then fly away after their completely one-sided attack to which the humans have no response due to the fact the fairies are completely out of range.

TheMangaGod

Well, I have watched his channel and one from his competition, the weird accent (russian?) guy, and thanks to them, I had to continuously check whether some of my battle scenes make sense. One of the most face palm part when I watch the channel of how he talks about Super Strength (Kyle Hill linked me to him) is that he has the tendency to repeat himself and not get to the point until towards the end of video. The same with his take on Super Speed. I love how he tries to include monsters in and their weapon of choice though, especially on the lamia (legless, not legolas)
Yeah I've noticed in some of his longer video's he does repeat himself quite a bit but he's so fun to watch regardless... Also now that I think about it I need to rewatch his one on lamia... I think the weapon he chose was a spear?

AdLeto

Grandious things like castles in a fantasy setting is a no no, the most effective way of a fortress is an underground bunker

TheMangaGod

His fantasy re-armed series is definitely great. Thanks to that, I've already planned out a scene where an army of fairies drop flachets on an army of human soldiers and then fly away after their completely one-sided attack to which the humans have no response due to the fact the fairies are completely out of range.
That's Awesome! I love the idea that fairy's are actually crazy dangerous in realistic fantasy

TheMangaGod

Grandious things like castles in a fantasy setting is a no no, the most effective way of a fortress is an underground bunker
Maybe digging out a mountain or cliffside to give you cover above?