Fans of Shadiversity?

Jemini

How big (and numerous) are the fairies? They would need to be able to drop so much flechette (<-correct spelling) of at least enough size to puncture through armor and skull from very high up after carrying them however far (endurance issues) that it would largely be likely not particularly effective and at best maybe moral dropping if they manage to do some damage, but without modern production means, that also means the flechette has to be produced one at a time (notably by the fairy's or their allies blacksmiths, and that's a lot of metal that could be going into much more productive areas).

It would be better to have the faeries act as skirmish units and pull off hit and run tactics as well as saboteurs. Their small size, unless they glow, make them much harder to spot, and give them an oversized razer blade (shad covered this for them even) and they can sneak up, cut throats and disappear before being noticed. All it would take for a saboteur would be a little poison in the enemy's water supplies, fires started in their dry goods (such as fodder for their animals if they have fodder, and if not their dry foods then) or a few commandos who go into the enemy camp and kill a bunch of soldiers in their sleep. The faeries even have multiple ways of sneaking in (overhead or from the sides.

Actually going back, rather than dropping flechette on them, waiting until the enemy has set up camp, then dropping fire pots on them (it would probably take more coordnation, like teams of fairies working together to carry them and light them before dropping them) would be way more damaging for moral (also making the flechette attack during the night would be better, especially if they simply hit obvious command tents).

Actually, the whole operation was meant as a demoralization exercise against an invading army. The fairy side is aiming for a human casualty rate of around 10% with the majority of the losses the army faces being in the form of deserters.

Also, there are great-fairy leaders in the raids who are human-size, the small fairies are just suplemental to the attack if anything. The tactic would be that they attack every single night. They start the attack with blowing war-horns and using light-magic to set flares everywhere. In the confusion, the flechette start dropping on the soldiers in their sleep.

Also, the flechette attacks only make up a small portion of the night raids. The majority of the night raids are just them sending out the flairs and blowing the war-horns but not actually doing anything to harm the soldiers. The flechette are only dropped maybe 2 or 3 times through the night, but the war-horns and flairs go off every 30 minutes and the flechette on those 2 or 3 times are only to make it so the human soldiers have no choice but to go on absolute full alert every single time the war-horns and flairs go off.

So, it's ultimately a psychological attack not really meant to wipe out the army in terms of casualty numbers.

pyrak

Totally forgot about just simply hounding with constant nuances such as flares and warhorns to keep the enemy from ever getting sleep.

pyrak

The term defensive weaponry is nonsense. You mistake tactical use for technical specifications. You can clearly use a weapon (not weaponry) in a defensive role, but such is true for all weapons. If you hull down a tank, does this suddenly make the tank a "defensive weapon"? Certainly not.

The defensiveness is not inherent to weapon itself, but how it is employed by its user.

As for MAD. MAD is clearly offensive in nature. You don't defend in the sense you try to counteract your enemy, but you respond with your own second strike capabilities. You "defend" with offensive capabilities, not with defensive ones.
So want them to be called stationary weapon emplacements? The whole "defensive" part is that the weapon is fixed in place (litterally built into some form of fortification typically) and used to deter the enemy from attacking that position and if they do it's going to be super costly, no a tank going hull down would not be in that category, but coastal batteries by intent are designed to defend your ports from enemy ships by sitting there and waiting for them to come to you, not move up to the enemy to attack. An anti-aircraft gun is designed mainly to shoot at any aircraft that come into range, not have you chase down the aircraft and shoot it down.

Hell, CIWS guns are built around shooting at incoming missiles and aircraft that go fast enough the only way you're going to be able to defend against them is by having a faster gun. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-in_weapon_system

So the question is what do you want to call the general class of weapons designed specifically for countering incoming threats before it becomes to late?

EDIT: There is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-defence though that doesn't include coastal batteries (but the word is close enough for me), so yeah the word you should be looking for is point-defense.

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
So want them to be called stationary weapon emplacements? The whole "defensive" part is that the weapon is fixed in place (litterally built into some form of fortification typically) and used to deter the enemy from attacking that position and if they do it's going to be super costly, no a tank going hull down would not be in that category, but coastal batteries by intent are designed to defend your ports from enemy ships by sitting there and waiting for them to come to you, not move up to the enemy to attack. An anti-aircraft gun is designed mainly to shoot at any aircraft that come into range, not have you chase down the aircraft and shoot it down.

Hell, CIWS guns are built around shooting at incoming missiles and aircraft that go fast enough the only way you're going to be able to defend against them is by having a faster gun. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-in_weapon_system

So the question is what do you want to call the general class of weapons designed specifically for countering incoming threats before it becomes to late?

EDIT: There is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-defence though that doesn't include coastal batteries (but the word is close enough for me), so yeah the word you should be looking for is point-defense.

Stationary is stationary. And there is a reason all the systems you listed use "defence" and not "defensive". One is a noun, the other an adjective.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
Stationary is stationary. And there is a reason all the systems you listed use "defence" and not "defensive". One is a noun, the other an adjective.
I think what @Assurbanipal_II is trying to say, is being "defensive" is a stance, like how she's hiding behind that cookie and using @Queenfisher on her head as a lookout for any attempts at purification by @Nahrenne

Whereas mounting a "defense" is an action you do to counter an incoming threat, like when @Nahrenne borrowed my scissors to snip hair from @Assurbanipal_II as she did what I imagine was her best attempt to assault her assailant with a multitude of catgirls.

This concludes today's lesson, your homework for the evening is to try and hold your defensive stance

as I demonstrate how I would mount a defense to curtail your advance upon my position with my ultimate snowball barrage super attack!

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I think what @Assurbanipal_II is trying to say, is being "defensive" is a stance, like how she's hiding behind that cookie and using @Queenfisher on her head as a lookout for any attempts at purification by @Nahrenne

Whereas mounting a "defense" is an action you do to counter an incoming threat, like when @Nahrenne borrowed my scissors to snip hair from @Assurbanipal_II as she did what I imagine was her best attempt to assault her assailant with a multitude of catgirls.

This concludes today's lesson, your homework for the evening is to try and hold your defensive stance

as I demonstrate how I would mount a defense to curtail your advance upon my position with my ultimate snowball barrage super attack!

I play Freesia.Cutepearl in defence stance and end my turn.

pyrak

I cast snap and return Freesia to your hand, because I play Magic (the better tcg).

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~

*saw she was mentioned*
'-'
Cats?
*feeds all the cats catnip and then burns the hair*

X