fantasy idioms that sound the same on Earth but mean different things

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
Let's come up with what the title says.
Like "cheesing the fight" = using cheap tactics on Earth, but "being a poor vanguard that lets hits past them" in isekai (because cheese has holes)

Mephi

My favorite is swears like "Damn it!" in a setting with reincarnation. Like, you can't damn a soul that's not going to hell.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Killing two birds with one stone, referring to the classic tale of the mythological hero who has defeated the twin birds of apocalypse by transforming himself into a giant rock that smashed both birds.

It means being able to pay even the greatest prices for the sake of a better future.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
"People die when they are killed"

Works well with adventurers. Although lich and immortals are very offended by this
This is another piece of evidence that Shirou is the dumbest MC ever conceived. Thank you.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Unfortunately just because you are correct doesn't mean you are right
They would be if you knew that he copied and dumbed down his predecessors words of "dead people can't be alive" which is actually both right and correct.

"Shit hits the fan" is pretty self-explaining in a world where there are no non-violent rotationary contraptions.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
dumb as a rock = dumb as a rock.

just don't let the golems hear it because it is considered racist.
I feel like this comment is personally attacking my protagonist. Rocks have feelings too you know. Probably.

As for the subject, "He turns me on every morning." can mean something totally different coming from a clockwork/mechanical person.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I feel like this comment is personally attacking my protagonist. Rocks have feelings too you know. Probably.

As for the subject, "He turns me on every morning." can mean something totally different coming from a clockwork/mechanical person.
That's an innuendo.

Well, today I learn the idiom "still water runs deep", which means that someone who is quiet may have very strong feelings or know a lot.

Imo it just feels like a dangerous person/ situation that looks calm on the surface, but is actually turbulant/ violemt underneath.

Which is an antonym for myself, because a. I am obnoxious, b. I am very shallow.

Last edited:

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
"I trust you as far as I can throw you" OK Saitama.

"Double Tap" loses some of its utility where resurrection exists, but not cause now they havd to spend the resources to do that. Plus you get time.

"Two Spirit" takes on a more literal meaning when you can throw a soul into an already soul-occupied body.

Calling someone the common slur of "fairy" suddenly hits different when the Fae can possess people.

"Rome Wasn't Built In A Day" *types in Matrix*

"Munchkin" grows dark during an ice age when people Munched their Kin to survive.

Is "Browser" a conputer application, or a telepath? the results may scare you.

Im sure i can cone up with more.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
'There will be hell to pay' -- The First Infernal Bank of Hell is always willing to give out loans, free of interest to! Just don't miss your debt payments.