Fear of Abandon Too Many Stories.

TheOneWho

What do you do when you lose the motivation to write one story and work on another? I don't want just to keep writing stories just to abandon them, I already have a couple of stories I haven't updated in years. I feel wrong doing it, but it's hard finishing a story I don't have the motivation to continue at the moment. My only saving grace for myself is that the story I want to switch to is one of my older ones I haven't updated in years.

HappyVainGlory

What do you do when you lose the motivation to write one story and work on another? I don't want just to keep writing stories just to abandon them, I already have a couple of stories I haven't updated in years. I feel wrong doing it, but it's hard finishing a story I don't have the motivation to continue at the moment. My only saving grace for myself is that the story I want to switch to is one of my older ones I haven't updated in years.
Be shameless about it and do what you want. Unless you're relying on writing to pay the bills, the only real harm is to your pride and ego.

Nerokyj

It is pretty hard to continue a story when you are demotivated. What a lot of authors would do is rewrite the story to your liking again. What I do when I get demotivated, is to either first rewrite the story to make it better than my original idea, but this is a bit extreme even for me. Usually, the best way to stay motivated for me is to set goals for myself when writing my story. So for example, when I write my short story, I put goals for myself in those stories. This will know what I need to do for my stories and somewhat my main objective of the story. You also do not want to edit as you write, and just save editing at the end of the story, if you edit and write back and forth this will be really demotivating also. You can also write little by little every day, if you don't have time every day that is ok, you can just write little snippets of words on another page or google Docs to freshen out your ideas. Or literally throw random ideas by talking to others about my novels or get inspiration from other novels on other websites, of course, don't copy. Also if you are bored or have free time, you can get a random prompt on the internet, and do basically an essay or something relating to that, you can also take things around your surroundings to help write your prompt.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
bro exact same situation. But i at least finished a volume for all those stories i abandoned so...its something at least

Nhatduongg

Yuyuko Saigyouji, The Dreaming Ghost
Well, I would never loose any motivation on my creations, no matter what. It is either gonna be an insignificant story unrelated to my main universe or an eventual rewrite.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
You are evil. Right down to your black little heart that doesn't pump blood like a real human being but some sort of thin oily viscous fluid that I am certain would dissolve both flesh bone, metal and stone if it were ever spilt. You are evil. How dare you breathe the same air as a REAL writer, such as I!!! For I am so much better than you for, you know, writing stuff and thangs. GAZE UPON MY WORKS YE MIGHTY AND DISPAIR DESPARE? HOW THE FUCK DO YOU SPELL DESPAIR? OH> GREAT> I SPELL IT CORRECTLY THAT TIME> JESUS FUCKIN" CRHIST AND NOW I CAN"T FIGURE OUT HOW MY SHIFT KEY GOT STUCK> GODDAMNIT>

Or...

Maybe you should realize that maybe you don't want to write it because the story ain't so good.

Hate to say it, not every story is a banger. You should always write three times what you need and be prepared to throw out half of it if you want an above average story.

When was the last time you went back and reread the story? Did you like it? Did it make you smile? Did you feel anything? No?

Let it go.

Chalk it up to experience and move on. Write something new. Write a different way. Hell. Do what I do. Write backwards.

Write the ending. Back up a bit, write another part. Back up, write another. Get your story beats out first, then go to the beginning and write. Do you have any idea how much of a motivator it is when you have 20 chapters written that you can drop JUST AS SOON AS YOU CATCH UP TO THEM?

Or, trade with someone. Find someone else having the same issue, exchange half written stories. THEN DO AN ISEKAI. He Isekai's his character into your story, and yours into his. No matter how bad the story is, it can always be made so much stranger with an Isekai.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Honestly, I started over ten stories in past year, and seriously committed to three. It's just normal, I guess. You will start stories and figure out they bore you, you have no motivation to write them, they are of bad quality, or whatever else preventing you from continuing them.

I'm currently more or less writing two stories at the same time, and some other lay and gather dust because I don't wanna write them for now, and for me that's fine.

Deathilim

If you are demotivated and uninspired, I recommend taking a shower. Idk how, but whenever I take a showever, inspiration comes and makes me interested at the story again.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
let me teach you a very simple solution to your hubris: don't post them.

seriously, stop uploading new series and keep them as drafts if you have commitment issues with continuing old ones. you won't feel the inherent guilt of abandoning your previous series, and you get to work on your new work without the hassle of public scrutiny and responsibility.

KEEP YOUR SHIT OFFLINE until it's READY. you'll run the risk of falling into edit/rewrite hell, but if you're bothered by what you have now, it's best to keep your stuff under the radar first.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
If you just can't finish it, then you just can't finish it. Do as the man upstairs dictate. You should do what you want.

In Ai-chan You Thrust. Screw Others.

Tblew

First, I would recommend you become more selective in the stories you write. Two, if you have no intentions of ever updating them ever again mark them as discontinued or...take them down. Put them to rest and move on so they don't weigh you down like they are now. Maybe you will find the motivation to completely re-do them or mush two stories together and create a new one. Who knows...