Feedback On A Living Weapon Concept

MajorKerina

This is an idea which has been percolating in my head for a while.

It's set in a mystical version of the old west where living weapons leech off of human hosts. A young man on a rural farm awaits his elder sister's return from the big city when a cruel group of bandits attack his home.

To survive, he takes one of their living guns and becomes physically and emotional bound to it. The ruthless weapon has a seemingly unquenchable blood lust and speaks with a demented, demanding female voice and personality inside his head. Yandere-like (depending on whether she warms up to the kid) but Haruko Haruhara of FLCL makes me think of it too.

He faces moral challenges and horrible discoveries which will leave him and others changed forever. The story would be episodic as he hunts down the gang and groups that attacked his home and family, following leads and stories told in dusty small towns. A little bit of The Dark Tower, a little Akami ga Kill, some Gungrave, Parasyte, and Trigun in the lighter moments. The world and the living weapons biology and all that would be revealed over time.

My concern is when I first dreamed the idea I felt like "there has to be a story like that out there". It sounds too much like something I've heard before. Is there anything like that? How should I go about differentiating it from the animes and works that feel and sound similar. Does that sound like a worthwhile premise? Revenge plots are well-worn in westerns. I've chewing on the idea for a few years and I dunno if it's worth pursuing.

Last edited:

Zavha0mnic

Never heard of anything like it. Though it sounds really cool. Be careful to not make the gun sound in love with the MC. Another thing, he should never forget why he wants to kill the gang. Some MC‘s just forget their drive but keep going.

I would read it.

AdLeto

Living like a literal living being?
They need to sustain themselves?
Do they have mouths to be able to eat?

MajorKerina

Living like a literal living being?
They need to sustain themselves?
Do they have mouths to be able to eat?
In the dream and in how I want to present the concept, they are living creatures that are either created/bred/harvested, maybe like a crop. They have a feral, ravenous hunger and vines that go into the host’s bloodstream, leaving permanent scars. They get basic nutrients from them that way. They otherwise feed on the remains and nutrients of their victims. They can enhance the abilities of their hosts with adrenaline and other infusions.

Visually, I see them as like normal weapons but with a weird biomechanical skew.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Never heard of anything like it. Though it sounds really cool. Be careful to not make the gun sound in love with the MC. Another thing, he should never forget why he wants to kill the gang. Some MC‘s just forget their drive but keep going.

I would read it.
why wouldn't the gun fall in love? Or at least have some twisted form of affection, heavily obsessive and possessive. Especially if it could assume a sort of non-physical humanoid form...like a hologram. Or perhaps a vision only the host can see (and maybe even feel) due to their bond/connection. Sounds like an intriguing plot point to me and a wasted opportunity to toss in some drama from a unique perspective that I've never read before. I hope the author @MajorKerina doesn't listen to your advice here if he/she does write it.

This is an awesome addition to an already unique sounding idea.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Write what you love, and someone else will also love it.

JayDirex

The only LIVING WEAPONS I can remember were in Soul Eater. But whatever, I like the concept. You better make sure you can execute, because weapons like that reveal a lot about the world. And you gonna have some background-story-chapters.

I like the concept but (jeez, look at my PFP and the novels I write) of course I like your idea :)

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

It's set in a mystical version of the old west where living weapons leech off of human hosts. A young man on a rural farm awaits his elder sister's return from the big city when a cruel group of bandits attack his home.

To survive, he takes one of their living guns and becomes physically and emotional bound to it. The ruthless weapon has a seemingly unquenchable blood lust and speaks with a demented, demanding female voice and personality inside his head. Yandere-like (depending on whether she warms up to the kid) but Haruko Haruhara of FLCL makes me think of it too.

He faces moral challenges and horrible discoveries which will leave him and others changed forever. The story would be episodic as he hunts down the gang and groups that attacked his home and family, following leads and stories told in dusty small towns. A little bit of The Dark Tower, a little Akami ga Kill, some Gungrave, Parasyte, and Trigun in the lighter moments. The world and the living weapons biology and all that would be revealed over time.

My concern is when I first dreamed the idea I felt like "there has to be a story like that out there". It sounds too much like something I've heard before. Is there anything like that? How should I go about differentiating it from the animes and works that feel and sound similar. Does that sound like a worthwhile premise? Revenge plots are well-worn in westerns. I've chewing on the idea for a few years and I dunno if it's worth pursuing.
This is one of those " if you dont write it, I will" moments that I hate cuz I love the ideas but the dudes may never get around to writing it and I'm already busy writing my own stuff so eve if I do take a crack at it itll end up being a good story that is rarely updated and people will get mad at me because its a good story but, as I said, its rarely updated.

So it's up to you my dude.

Remember to tag me when you get around to it.

Jamminrabbit

I'm sure there are plenty of fiction that involves the concept.

I do know two examples:

1. Critical Role's Grog and Craven Edge
2. World of Warcraft's Sire Denathrius and Remornia

The second option is likely much closer to what you're looking for when it comes to a living weapon with an unquenchable bloodlust and yandere-like voice

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
The only living/cursed weapon I have read is that one Overpowered isekai mc that won a lottery of 666× overall strength.

MajorKerina

This is one of those " if you dont write it, I will" moments that I hate cuz I love the ideas but the dudes may never get around to writing it and I'm already busy writing my own stuff so eve if I do take a crack at it itll end up being a good story that is rarely updated and people will get mad at me because its a good story but, as I said, its rarely updated.

So it's up to you my dude.

Remember to tag me when you get around to it.
Will do! Promise.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
The only living/cursed weapon I have read is that one Overpowered isekai mc that won a lottery of 666× overall strength.
got a name? i remember reading it before. i think it was a manga.

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
got a name? i remember reading it before. i think it was a manga.
Screenshot_2021-01-08-11-58-34-59.jpg

jabathehut

Resident Troll

I have a WIP that's basically this except its a Xianxia and a sword and every book the sword would kill the main character at the end.

jabathehut

Resident Troll

Honestly it doesn't matter if the story already exists. Just write it. I mean, look at me. I've just written arifureta four times.

MajorKerina

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. This definitely moved to the front of the pack for new things to write. I just face the doom of so many stories half-finished and I need to stop putting things on hiatus but I will make this happen soon :).

Zavha0mnic

why wouldn't the gun fall in love? Or at least have some twisted form of affection, heavily obsessive and possessive. Especially if it could assume a sort of non-physical humanoid form...like a hologram. Or perhaps a vision only the host can see (and maybe even feel) due to their bond/connection. Sounds like an intriguing plot point to me and a wasted opportunity to toss in some drama from a unique perspective that I've never read before. I hope the author @MajorKerina doesn't listen to your advice here if he/she does write it.

This is an awesome addition to an already unique sounding idea.
Dang you‘re right. I was mostly giving advice on what I would write. I do think your idea is more interesting than what I was thinking oof.

CL

This isn't exactly what you are talking about, but I remember reading an edited RP-turned-story (it had since been deleted due to some odd reason) that involved a mechanical character who was upgraded into liquid metal. The point isn't that MC was a cybernetic organism, but that it had a conscious colony of slimes acting as a "pit crew" maintaining the structural integrity of their "host". Once the MC transitioned from "T-800" to "T-1000", those slimes united with the MC's new body (think of this MC turning into Parasyte's Gotou but with a shiny chrome finish). After being upgraded would that MC now be considered a biological weapon?

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
It's definitely not a 100% unique idea, but guess what? No ideas are. Stories aren't their premise but how you go about writing it. If the only problem you have is the premise, go ahead. That's not a problem at all.