Feeling intimidated by the bombastic language people use in their stories.

Kotohood

Noob Author
So hear me out.
I've been wanting to write this story for quite a while now and I've been writing chapters in advance for buffering.

So I was proofreading the heck out of my story the other day, when I suddenly feel like taking a break and read some other stories on SH.

Then as I was reading, it came upon me that the stories I read all had words that was quite intimidating. Lots of stories are using pretty and powerful words that if I hadn't had experience reading lots of books before I would had to refer a dictionary.

Now when I compare it with my wrtting. I can see that my choices of words are rather simple as compared to them. Not as simple as kindergarten language but you all get my point. I don't really use complex words in every paragraph.

All I really wanted to do is to just write out a piece without too much hassle, and I figured the readers would like to read it too without much of a hassle either.

But seeing the norm, I feel quite intimidated. So I want to change my writting a bit, but I can't help but feel that I'm just putting out complex words just for the sake of putting it.

What are your thoughts about this? Am I just paranoid or am I having writters scare?

TwilightForest

Being myself
So hear me out.
I've been wanting to write this story for quite a while now and I've been writing chapters in advance for buffering.

So I was proofreading the heck out of my story the other day, when I suddenly feel like taking a break and read some other stories on SH.

Then as I was reading, it came upon me that the stories I read all had words that was quite intimidating. Lots of stories are using pretty and powerful words that if I hadn't had experience reading lots of books before I would had to refer a dictionary.

Now when I compare it with my wrtting. I can see that my choices of words are rather simple as compared to them. Not as simple as kindergarten language but you all get my point. I don't really use complex words in every paragraph.

All I really wanted to do is to just write out a piece without too much hassle, and I figured the readers would like to read it too without much of a hassle either.

But seeing the norm, I feel quite intimidated. So I want to change my writting a bit, but I can't help but feel that I'm just putting out complex words just for the sake of putting it.

What are your thoughts about this? Am I just paranoid or am I having writters scare?
Write in a language that you can understand well and can express yourself well. Some people need fiery words to put stress upon their thoughts. Let them be.
Just be what you are.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
So hear me out.

There is no reason to write fancy words unless they sound better for the specific thing you wish to convey. Overall, do understand that books tend to be also aimed at different age groups. And by using fancy words, you are actually limiting your readership.

Overall, a lot of writers use web novels as a way to gain experience in writing, so you might see a lot of fancy words in stories. That shouldn't intimidate you though, just do your own thing.

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
So hear me out.

Heya, I had the same problem as you when I started writing. My advice is that, you take it as a challenge to learn new words but do not force yourself to use it yet unless you have the full grasp or you feel more comfortable using it. English is not even my native language but I learned through reading and referring to dictionaries. I do still have errors in my writings still and fortunately, there are kind enough people to point those out so I make improvements. Don't stress yourself too much, focus on which style you are much comfortable first, let it flow naturally and gradually you'll notice that your wordings have already improve.

Good Luck!

Pistachio

You do you, author-san! As long as it flows well, it doesn’t really matter much. Words are just words be they simple or complex, it’s the way they are delivered that emphasizes or mutes them.

Besides, writing is just like natural selection, it’s a process of getting and discarding what works for you, so don’t be afraid to experiment! Who knows, maybe putting big words would make your writing powerful...or not. :;):

Scribbler

I dropped the lies of locke lamora and Circe exactly because the language was too flowery. Sometimes I think it's like sensory override where it's completely unnecessary. But sometimes one word can do what two words or a whole sentence can.

The best thing to do is the only thing you can do: the best you can. And just because it's different doesn't mean it's wrong. But I am often times impressed by other's mastery of the language. Though I do not think that's the kind of writer I am. I don't think I care about that sort of thing; I don't prioritize it.

And if you don't either then that's fine too, though if you do I suppose you should. I forgot what my point was.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So hear me out.

Depends on what you mean by complex. Like bombastic. Thats a pretty rare word to use. And if a writer uses words like that often then it means they're likely pretentious asshats who use unnecessarily obscure words to pretend they're smart. ature. And not even that often, just to be more accurate or mix things up. Thats it. You dont need to use complex words all the time. Example would be "very sad". Not very compelling, is it? Instead you could use "sorrowful" "somber" or even more metaphorical words like "shattered" to spice up your writing. Just look up synonyms if your worry you're being too simple.

Word choice isnt a problem, really. No need to use overly complicated words. You only have to make your characters have their own identity, make them feel more real or more substantial. Othewise the story will be bland. Its especially important in first person. Cuz the readers experience the world through a colored lens--through your character's eyes. And if your character sounds boring then everything will be. Thats what you need to worry about.

Well, phrasing is also a part of it. Word choice alone isnt important but the way you say things is. How you structure your sentence. I suggest looking at books like the Chronicles of Nick series when it comes to that. The author is very good at expressing things. Actually most western novels will excel at that type of thing. Eastern stories not as much, i notice. They're rarely big on details and decribing things. Actually since i havent read western stories in years i think my own writing has degraded, or picked up the habit of not being very decriptive. My writing has always been influenced by what i read...Not like inspiration, but the style. Thats what im talking about. The eastern style bled into my own writing, i mean. Maybe it has yours too? If so i bet you'd see the difference if you go to read a western story.

Kotohood

Noob Author
Oh wow! I didn't expect this many response in such a short time!

Thanks for the encouragement and word of advice y'all. I see now that I'm just thinking too hard about things.

Depends on what you mean by complex. Like bombastic. Thats a pretty rare word to use. And if a writer uses words like that often then it means they're likely pretentious asshats who use unnecessarily obscure words to pretend they're smart. ature. And not even that often, just to be more accurate or mix things up. Thats it. You dont need to use complex words all the time. Example would be "very sad". Not very compelling, is it? Instead you could use "sorrowful" "somber" or even more metaphorical words like "shattered" to spice up your writing. Just look up synonyms if your worry you're being too simple.

Word choice isnt a problem, really. No need to use overly complicated words. You only have to make your characters have their own identity, make them feel more real or more substantial. Othewise the story will be bland. Its especially important in first person. Cuz the readers experience the world through a colored lens--through your character's eyes. And if your character sounds boring then everything will be. Thats what you need to worry about.

Well, phrasing is also a part of it. Word choice alone isnt important but the way you say things is. How you structure your sentence. I suggest looking at books like the Chronicles of Nick series when it comes to that. The author is very good at expressing things. Actually most western novels will excel at that type of thing. Eastern stories not as much, i notice. They're rarely big on details and decribing things. Actually since i havent read western stories in years i think my own writing has degraded, or picked up the habit of not being very decriptive. My writing has always been influenced by what i read...Not like inspiration, but the style. Thats what im talking about. The eastern style bled into my own writing, i mean. Maybe it has yours too? If so i bet you'd see the difference if you go to read a western story.

I see I see.

Also, good point on the western vs eastern part. I haven't read a western novel for quite the while now, it is more likely that the eastern style has influenced my style of writting.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
I haven't really noticed this myself, but I sometimes find myself looking up the meanings of words, Mostly to check they mean what I think they mean. Sometimes I have to search around to find the word that's most accurate to what I want to describe, but I don't think I'd ever describe my stories as... complexly worded?
Just use whatever language you need to use to best explain yourself. If you can write in simple terms and feel you're still conveying your intended meaning, then great, do that. But if you do need to use a more uncommon or complex word here or there, don't worry about it. People should be able to figure out the meaning through contextual clues or a quick google search if all else fails.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Don't be intimidated. It's a learning curve. I'm sure you'll learn more beautiful words along the way. Also, don't feel pressured to use a thesaurus just to make your words sound extra intellectual. Write in your own voice. Besides, you don't need flowery words to convey a story. If you force it, it might come out as weird to your readers.

Lone_Crane

The writer's goal is to find his or her own voice. It's not easy and often takes a while. If you're writing in an artificial way because that's the way you think you should then your writing will sound unnatural. Just keep reading as much as you can and writing, and your style will evolve.

xane

As purely a reader I say don't worry about it. Convey your story in the way you are capable. Don't try to use big flamboyant words just for the sake of it, the goal shouldn't be to make your readers keep a dictionary/thesaurus tab open.

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
I would never change my writing style because of other stories I find. I would change it because its current style fails to accurately portray my vision to the readers. Only add in complicated wording if it feels appropriate to do so. The easier the writing is to understand, the larger a target audience you can appeal to.

mrsimple

Writer
Compared to how I wrote before, I was different. Then I was corrected on how I should be writing stories in a past tense rather than however I was before.

Whatever my style used to be, it is gone. I just write now and hope the readers can make sense of it.

S-Scherr

As you can see from all the above responses... don't worry about it. We all enter this gig with our own vocabulary at our disposal. It's our job as writers to choose what works best. Sometimes the right 'big' word fits, keeping us from being verbose, and other times those big damn words are just distracting. Just keep doing what works for you and don't try to fit those big words in just to make your prose sound more sophisticated. Your work will feel contrived if you're trying to juice it up with fanciful words. Consider your characters and how they might speak. How many people do you know speak like they're a living thesaurus?... lol.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
I'd say match your word usage to your topic. If you're writing relatively simple, common stuff then dont complicate things by using unnecessary complex words.

However, if you're writing something that involves a technical theme or topic and your character knows about these things to any sort of competent level, then obviously using complex words or technical terms is more acceptable. In those cases, either try to strike a balance or figure out a way to have any complex terms to be explained by characters in a natural feeling way.

As an example, i tend to write a lot of military themed stuff so jargon comes with the territory. I do try to use the simpler versions of jargon where possible so that people arent completely clueless.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
Your story is meant to be your story! Use the words that make you feel comfortable and match the tone of your story. If you feel like your story needs a higher vocabulary or influences of diction, then go ahead and skim through a thesaurus to expand your writing abilities a bit, but just because others have a different voice in writing then you, it does not mean that they are automatically better. Everyone has their own style, so just be confident and write from your heart :blob_highfive::blob_paint::blob_reach:

Jemini

I am of the opinion that it's never a good idea to force higher level vocabulary into your story. Audiences can pick up on forced vocabulary, and it lowers your writing quality. Being on tone is the more important thing.

In my case, I am guilty of writing at the 10th grade level and higher on a regular basis. (The typical novel in stores is written at the 6th to 8th grade level.) The reason for that is purely because I have spent my entire life reading A LOT. I had tested as having a vocabulary as strong as a 16 year old when I was 10 (that being my strongest stand-out.) In my case, I do not use higher level vocabulary in order to sound smart or impress people, I just naturally write it using the vocabulary that feels comfortable to me.

So, to sum that all up, not only do I back everything people above have said in assuring you that you don't need to use bigger words, I also actively discourage it. You should not use larger words in your story if you do not find it natural to do so.