Feeling intimidated by the bombastic language people use in their stories.

Quecafe

You shouldn't care for the bombastic language that is often ignored because of being too obscure/flowery.
You should focus on making the grammar of your story to flow without any hiccups, like a well-oiled machine.
And for it to flow, you don't need the flowery/obscure language, of course having a wide vocabulary really helps in making the story flow in a more natural form, furthermore, it will also improve the way you describe certain things.
Nevertheless, the crux of the matter here is following your heart and do something you will enjoy. There is no use in trying to fit some sort of mold when you are writing, just do what you think is good and have someone beta-read it for you, and improve through their feedback. And if you feel like some passage could be written better, just search for synonyms of the words used. Eventually, you'll be making amazing stories bro! ☕

Azrie

Redemption Seeker
Regarding writing, I am currently writing a novel, I personally found myself using a lot of simple words rather than flowery language, some people have told me that they like it a lot.

I think you should just write how you feel that fits your style, there's no point in flowery language if it doesn't make sense, and there's no point if it's so flowery that you need to look up definitions every paragraph. I think it is just about what type of thing you are writing.

Even while using simple words and you are writing a multiple pov in first person you can just reword things to sound more like the character. Because what displays a character to me at least, it's not the language they use. It's their personality. Although like mentioned above it really depends on the character too.

Although don't take it from me, I think I am god-awful at writing.

Pistachio

I am of the opinion that it's never a good idea to force higher level vocabulary into your story. Audiences can pick up on forced vocabulary, and it lowers your writing quality. Being on tone is the more important thing.

In my case, I am guilty of writing at the 10th grade level and higher on a regular basis. (The typical novel in stores is written at the 6th to 8th grade level.) The reason for that is purely because I have spent my entire life reading A LOT. I had tested as having a vocabulary as strong as a 16 year old when I was 10 (that being my strongest stand-out.) In my case, I do not use higher level vocabulary in order to sound smart or impress people, I just naturally write it using the vocabulary that feels comfortable to me.

So, to sum that all up, not only do I back everything people above have said in assuring you that you don't need to use bigger words, I also actively discourage it. You should not use larger words in your story if you do not find it natural to do so.

Yep, this happens to me too especially when I'm reading a book while writing my own but these days my style had turned 'loose' and by that, I meant less uptight since my reading list has been of the c-novel variety.

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
So I was proofreading the heck out of my story the other day, when I suddenly feel like taking a break and read some other stories on SH.

Then as I was reading, it came upon me that the stories I read all had words that was quite intimidating. Lots of stories are using pretty and powerful words that if I hadn't had experience reading lots of books before I would had to refer a dictionary.

That's my story right there. I pepper everything with heavy vocabulary. Over the years my vocabulary has changed and expanded a lot. It occurred gradually and naturally. When I use more advanced words I am never forcing myself to do so.

I first write naturally so that my story flows nicely for readability. This is much more of a priority to me than attempting to add unnecessary embellishments to my writing with a heavily varied vocabulary. When I write naturally everything comes out positively posh, and I don't worry about correctly usuage of the more complex vocabulary until after I finish. After writing my first draft without concern for grammar, spelling, or vocabulary I simply review the words I was unsure about by consulting a dictionary. The dictionary consultation simply confirms that I am using words correctly.

Oftentimes when I review my rough draft I come across a word that feels awkward or out of place. It is usually one of two things. Either my grammar is messed up, or the word I used does not adequately express what I wanted it to. In such a situation I must correct my grammar or I need to find a better word to use.

I use a thesaurus a lot, not because I am forcing myself, but because I am trying to find a more descriptive word/phrase that I know and could not think of at the time. It happens all the time, a word is on the tip of my tongue and I know its meaning, however, I cannot think of it at the time. By using a thesaurus I can search for the forgotten word I cannot extract from my memory by searching for synonyms of a simpler word with the same meaning.

Using a thesaurus helps me correct my awkward sentences and word choice.

Eg. Rough draft: The pain was terrible.
Eg. Revision: The pain was unbearably excruciating.

I try not to use the thesaurus until after I am finished writing my draft, because if I constantly stop while writing it will break my train of thought causing my story to not flow well.

I use also use a thesaurus to help me spice up parts of my writing. Placing more advanced vocabulary in places I want to emphasize does the job well.

But seeing the norm, I feel quite intimidated. So I want to change my writting a bit, but I can't help but feel that I'm just putting out complex words just for the sake of putting it.

I used to feel this way too. If you feel uncomfortable, then it is possibly not good. If it breaks the flow of your writing and story, then it is likely very bad.

Recently I learned about the many different types of literary editing. There is a particular form of editing called "line editing". Line editing is where an editor reviews a draft and makes edits so that the prose flows better, sentence by sentence, and becomes overall more poetic and descriptive. You don't need exceedingly fancy vocabulary to make your story more descriptive and forcing it would likely prove counterproductive in making your prose flow better.

A person should still read lots and make an effort to enhance their writing vocabulary though! I suppose a little bit of discomfort is fine. If no effort to try something new is given, then improvement will be slow if it happens at all. A person simply doesn't need to force themselves to the point they are 'extremely' uncomfortable.

Despite all the was said above, "developmental editing", which is editing that aims to improve the content and structure of a manuscript, is always more important than line editing. Your events, characters, their interactions, motivations, and plot progression will always trump fancy writing. (F**king Trump. My apologies.)

One sec, I'll use a thesaurus to correct this mistake.
"Your events, characters, their interactions, motivations, and plot progression will always eclipse fancy writing."

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
I sometimes used complicated words to spice things up when I wanted the "mystical" feeling in my scenery or the "unknowable" atmosphere in the scene.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Nah, I see bombastic words as a crutch. Especially in Wuxia. What's wrong with beautiful? Let us form the image. I don't wanna hear how she has lips of a rhino's butthole or an ass akin to a Sakura tree trunk. Tell me how we're supposed to precieve the character from what perspective and be done with it.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
So hear me out.
I've been wanting to write this story for quite a while now and I've been writing chapters in advance for buffering.

So I was proofreading the heck out of my story the other day, when I suddenly feel like taking a break and read some other stories on SH.

Then as I was reading, it came upon me that the stories I read all had words that was quite intimidating. Lots of stories are using pretty and powerful words that if I hadn't had experience reading lots of books before I would had to refer a dictionary.

Now when I compare it with my wrtting. I can see that my choices of words are rather simple as compared to them. Not as simple as kindergarten language but you all get my point. I don't really use complex words in every paragraph.

All I really wanted to do is to just write out a piece without too much hassle, and I figured the readers would like to read it too without much of a hassle either.

But seeing the norm, I feel quite intimidated. So I want to change my writting a bit, but I can't help but feel that I'm just putting out complex words just for the sake of putting it.

What are your thoughts about this? Am I just paranoid or am I having writters scare?

Where then lies the difference? Or by what term will you discriminate the fertility and copiousness of style in those who write, from the barrenness of those who use not this variety and elegance of phrase? One thing there will certainly be, which those who write well will exhibit as their own; a graceful and elegant style, distinguished by a peculiar artifice and polish. But this kind of diction, if there be not matter beneath it clear and intelligible to the author itself, must either amount to nothing, or be received with ridicule by all who read it. For what savours so much of madness, as the empty sound of words, even the choicest and most elegant, when there is no sense or knowledge contained in them? Whatever be the subject of your opus, therefore, in whatever art or branch of science, the author, if he has made himself master of it, will speak on it better and more elegantly than the most pompous style ever can hope to achieve. :blob_reach:

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
Where then lies the difference? Or by what term will you discriminate the fertility and copiousness of style in those who write, from the barrenness of those who use not this variety and elegance of phrase? One thing there will certainly be, which those who write well will exhibit as their own; a graceful and elegant style, distinguished by a peculiar artifice and polish. But this kind of diction, if there be not matter beneath it clear and intelligible to the author itself, must either amount to nothing, or be received with ridicule by all who read it. For what savours so much of madness, as the empty sound of words, even the choicest and most elegant, when there is no sense or knowledge contained in them? Whatever be the subject of your opus, therefore, in whatever art or branch of science, the author, if he has made himself master of it, will speak on it better and more elegantly than the most pompous style ever can hope to achieve. :blob_reach:

discriminate fertility copiousness barrenness elegance exhibit graceful elegant distinguished peculiar artifice diction intelligible ridicule savours madness choicest elegant opus elegantly pompous style :blob_reach:

elegance elegant elegant elegantly

Do Not Click My Reverse Psychology

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
discriminate fertility copiousness barrenness elegance exhibit graceful elegant distinguished peculiar artifice diction intelligible ridicule savours madness choicest elegant opus elegantly pompous style :blob_reach:

elegance elegant elegant elegantly

Do Not Click My Reverse Psychology

To click, or not to click. Oh, what dastardly choice have you bestowed upon me in your unfathomable fiendish supreme evilness. Be cursed you and your progenitors! :blob_melt:

LWFlouisa

So hear me out.
I've been wanting to write this story for quite a while now and I've been writing chapters in advance for buffering.

Now when I compare it with my wrtting. I can see that my choices of words are rather simple as compared to them. Not as simple as kindergarten language but you all get my point. I don't really use complex words in every paragraph.

All I really wanted to do is to just write out a piece without too much hassle, and I figured the readers would like to read it too without much of a hassle either.

What are your thoughts about this? Am I just paranoid or am I having writters scare?

Don't worry about it! I like words like structureless tyranny, breadlines, radical centrism, inverted totalitarianism, marxist-leninism, fascism, and so on. As long as you know those words and use them well, it shouldn't be to jarring.

I even like creating new words, like for my conlang "Renslita Da Rita", which is a fusion of Swan Song and Solidarity.