First Chapter Analysis

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
I wouldn't stress "hooking readers" too much with prose alone. Though I'm not calling it "unconventional" or anything. I'm just saying it's much more readable. I say work with your natural voice instead of trying to be something you're not since the latter will lead to far more frustration.

Also, while I do absolutely consider prose important (for the reasons I explained in the past), it is just a piece of the puzzle. I wouldn't get caught up in second-guessing everything about readers. As someone who has been there, I can say from experience it isn't worth it.

And nah, I haven't heard him, though I can give a listen to him in a bit. I admittedly just listen to music based on whatever my current interest is, with electro swing being my favorite genre.

Alright, with all this said, time for me to get back to working on my own stuff. :blobrofl:

ODonn

Let me know what you think of mine. Thanks ahead of time!

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
I think I might start doing this again next month, here and there. I had a lot to do late last year, so I had to stop doing this, but I've been preparing some stuff to make this easier.

I think I'll need 2 weeks or so first. I'm going to comb through all this and find common issues. I've been making YouTube Shorts to address common issues, so I can link to them instead of repeating myself.

D

Deleted member 93348

I think I might start doing this again next month, here and there. I had a lot to do late last year, so I had to stop doing this, but I've been preparing some stuff to make this easier.

I think I'll need 2 weeks or so first. I'm going to comb through all this and find common issues. I've been making YouTube Shorts to address common issues, so I can link to them instead of repeating myself.
It’s okay, fam. I wish I could’ve said Happy New Year to you, but I legit thought you abandoned this thread altogether.

Anyway, I’m back with a new draft for my story, lol. It’s a complete overhaul with the comedic prose and heavy references still intact. Thankfully, since I began rewriting my story again, I now have a clear vision on how to start an opening chapter. Please let me know what you think.

Para23

Do you find starting a story a daunting task? I do. Luckily, I always have my mountains of research on the writing craft to fall back on. It's helped me out a great deal over the years in building my confidence and I'd love to share a bit of it with those who are interested. I can't guarantee perfection, but I'm fairly confident I can help you start the story on the right foot.

What I'll do is read the first chapter present only and figure out what's either working and/or not working for me. I'll address it in the thread and try to have a back & forth convo with you to see what I can best suggest. I'll also try to connect you with the writing craft which might help you best to hear.

I do reserve the right to pass on a story if it's so extreme against my tastes, but I'll do my best to focus on what your work is doing and what you're trying to do. Also, I'll just tell you if your story passes or fails in my eyes as an opening chapter.

Also, to note, I don't care about "perfection" or the like. Perfection is impossible because it doesn't exist. I simply wish to help refine people's skills as writers so they can better entertain their intended audience. And I refine stuff by using craft techniques which help me get things done and help me help others. This is what I'm offering.

If your outlook is just "I just want to write from my heart and do this", please do not ask for feedback. I'm not against writing for fun. Do it! Write for fun! Enjoy the act of creation! I'm pro-writing as a hobby. It's just that that outlook has nothing to do with the reader's experience. I'm not offering positive affirmation. This is for those who wish to learn where immediate issues might lie for the readers and hear suggestions for how to address those issues. I'm approaching this as a reader first and, when stuff fails, I'm turning on my editor's eye to figure out why. Finally, I'll suggest edits. If you don't wish to change anything, please don't ask. Or, at the very least, don't tell me because I don't care. It's your story and I ultimately want you to do whatever you want with it, not whatever would most please me. It's just tiresome to read again and again after putting in the effort to give a genuine reaction & feedback because it feels like the person didn't want to hear what was said to them.
I'd appreciate some brutally honest feedback, cause I'm pretty new to this writing thing lol https://www.scribblehub.com/series/674987/scripted-fate/

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
I'd appreciate some brutally honest feedback, cause I'm pretty new to this writing thing lol https://www.scribblehub.com/series/674987/scripted-fate/
Hmm... Guess I'm back in business real quick...

First, stop using the semi-colon; you're doing it wrong and overusing it. I explain it somewhere in this thread. I recommend going through it unless I turn the lesson into a YouTube short, which... I might do it tomorrow, given how I am. Anyway, all the setting description and semi-colon misuse make this immediately feel like you're trying too hard to be literary.

I didn't find it all the grabbing content-wise. It feels like a generic paranormal fantasy influenced by anime so far. I don't have issues with the influence, but I feel it would be better with a strong character moment early on. It's stuff I've said in the past. ...I should probably make a short for that, too, so I can link to that instead of repeating myself or telling people to look through the thread.
It’s okay, fam. I wish I could’ve said Happy New Year to you, but I legit thought you abandoned this thread altogether.

Anyway, I’m back with a new draft for my story, lol. It’s a complete overhaul with the comedic prose and heavy references still intact. Thankfully, since I began rewriting my story again, I now have a clear vision on how to start an opening chapter. Please let me know what you think.
I don't feel like doing extensive analysis yet, but this is WAY better than what you've shown me in the past, to the point where yes, I would read on. Great job.

Last edited:

Para23

Hmm... Guess I'm back in business real quick...

First, stop using the semi-colon; you're doing it wrong and overusing it. I explain it somewhere in this thread. I recommend going through it unless I turn the lesson into a YouTube short, which... I might do it tomorrow, given how I am. Anyway, all the setting description and semi-colon misuse make this immediately feel like you're trying too hard to be literary.

I didn't find it all the grabbing content-wise. It feels like a generic paranormal fantasy influenced by anime so far. I don't have issues with the influence, but I feel it would be better with a strong character moment early on. It's stuff I've said in the past. ...I should probably make a short for that, too, so I can link to that instead of repeating myself or telling people to look through the thread.

I don't feel like doing extensive analysis yet, but this is WAY better than what you've shown me in the past, to the point where yes, I would read on. Great job.
Yeah. I probably am using the semicolons wrong, but I'm just some teen so… Idk, maybe I’ll do some research on it. I’m not sure what you meant exactly but I’ll try!
About the story, it’s more of an isekai ish thing that the supernatural stuff is leading up to.The first few chapters are basically prologue that I’m writing in to establish relationships and characters there before I yeet the MC to the main setting lol. Well, I’m not that good at writing yet, but thanks for the feedback!

D

Deleted member 93348

Thank you! If you're interested on giving me an extensive analysis one day, feel free to put it on my DMs. I'm still improving as a writer, and any feedback would be fantastic.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Yeah. I probably am using the semicolons wrong, but I'm just some teen so… Idk, maybe I’ll do some research on it. I’m not sure what you meant exactly but I’ll try!
About the story, it’s more of an isekai ish thing that the supernatural stuff is leading up to.The first few chapters are basically prologue that I’m writing in to establish relationships and characters there before I yeet the MC to the main setting lol. Well, I’m not that good at writing yet, but thanks for the feedback!
There is no but. Or probably. You're using the semi-colon wrong. Just use a comma or a period. Don't use the semi-colon if you don't know how to use it as a tool.

Anyway, if you want to emphasize the character himself first, the character needs to be far more interesting. Personally, I go back to what I say here:

Not my best videos (my current stuff is better), but I stand by the information for handling characters early on.

Para23

There is no but. Or probably. You're using the semi-colon wrong. Just use a comma or a period. Don't use the semi-colon if you don't know how to use it as a tool.

Anyway, if you want to emphasize the character himself first, the character needs to be far more interesting. Personally, I go back to what I say here:

Not my best videos (my current stuff is better), but I stand by the information for handling characters early on.
Hmm…Yeah, you have some good points. Maybe I sacrificed too much of the characterization for the world building.
Umm… I have a previous draft of the chapter. Is it okay if I ask for you to look at it a bit? I’m kinda worried now that I replaced the old chapter for a worse version. Sorry if I’m bothering you too much. You don’t have to if you don’t want to!
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1FLo..._ovQm2P/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msword

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Hmm…Yeah, you have some good points. Maybe I sacrificed too much of the characterization for the world building.
Umm… I have a previous draft of the chapter. Is it okay if I ask for you to look at it a bit? I’m kinda worried now that I replaced the old chapter for a worse version. Sorry if I’m bothering you too much. You don’t have to if you don’t want to!
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1FLo..._ovQm2P/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msword
I'd require access first. :P You need to set it so anybody can look.

Walkero

Please give my story a shot as well, i've edited my first two chapters already once, but i'm still unsure. And those are arguably the most important ones so yeah.

MrBtheNovelist

Hi There,
I just went through a Major rework of my first novel, would love to hear your thoughts :)

*Synopsis*

“My life on earth was just a Pre-Birth Simulation?!”

"The Prince Who Conquered Time" follows the journey of a savant young prince who finds himself trapped in a futuristic sci-fi world full of cultivators. Facing higher powers unbeknownst to most, he is forced to claw his way up to supremacy amidst ancient beings, divine beasts and androids.

Besides his photographic memory, his only hopes are the talents stemming from his intriguing lineage and his maniacal obsession for power. Prince Chronos Astral must supersede his astounding potential and rise to power to protect the warmth of a family that he had never experienced.

With it’s larger-than-life characters and genre-defying twists, this story pays homage to the transmigration and cultivation fiction novels millions have fallen in love with.

Jaysanerd

thank you for doing this! Can you give my story a shot?

Potato41

Hi, I would love to have your feedback on my story. Only 3 chapters are up so far :)

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
I'm still pretty new to writing, so I'd really appreciate some feedback. I hope you can give mine a go!

In your case, I'd put a "no" due to how uncompelling the opening sentences are alone. First, starting with "snap" is a bad idea because you shouldn't do onomatopeia alone like that. To quote what I shared in the past...

Sometimes, a word mimics a sound, or even is the sound. This is common in comic books, especially for loud noises: Boom! Bang! Crash! Boing! Whoosh! Zap!

This is called onomatopoeia. You can use it in prose fiction, but I advise against the raw form because it can look blatant and naive. The English language allows a refined application: turn the sounds into a verb (the door banged shut) or a noun (the door shut with a bang).

Using this sophisticated variation creates subtle yet vivid effects. Any sound can be turned into a verb or noun, so let your creativity flow. When you want a fast-paced, exciting effect, choose the verb: to boom, to bang, to boing, to whoosh, to zap, to clank, to shoosh. In addition, many English words are actually imitations of sounds, but have become so common that you may not think of them as onomatopoeia: the tap drips, the chain rattles, the horse's hooves clip-clop, the cat meows, the horse whinnies.

You can use onomatopoeia words in all kinds of vivid prose, but the biggest use is in writing for children.

Second, the prose is boring to read. Let's look at these first three sentences.

The young lady opened her eyes in shock.

Flashes of crimson red filled her vision. An ear-piercing ring skewered through her mind.

There's no cadence. Cadence, to note, is what people call flow. Use a variety of sentences -- some short, some long, some with commas, some straightforward, etc. -- to make it more fun to read. The human brain gets bored by repetition.

There's a lot of telling I notice early on too, so I'll quote my past self on this:

"You do a lot of telling instead of showing. I'll point out ways you can catch it in a moment. Before I do, allow me to say this: I hate "show, don't tell" as advice. I agree with the actual spirit of it, but it's vague nonsense that doesn't give any practical guidance. Plus I feel "show vs. tell" is more accurately said as "evoking vs. informing." What you do is a lot of informing instead of immersing the reader.

A good example is you just naming emotions instead of showcasing them. You can show emotions through dialogue, vocal cues, body language, thoughts, and visceral reactions. It results in the reader experiencing things with them since they're interpreting it instead of just being told.

When it comes to red flags I've learned about, aside from naming emotions, using static verbs is the other one that jumps out to me for you. I'll quote a section from a book on that for you."

Red Flag #6 - Saw/Smelled/Heard/Felt/Tasted
One thing we need to do to make our fiction come alive is use the five senses. When we first start trying to do that, it’s easy to accidentally violate the show, don’t tell principle through words like saw, smelled, tasted, felt, and heard. Yet, if we simply do a search for those words and cut them out, we can end up losing important elements of our voice as well.

We need to find the balance. When we do a search for those words in our second (or third or fourth) draft, how can we know when to revise and when to leave them in?

Let’s start with a simple example.

Telling: Pat heard a gunshot in the distance.
Showing: A gunshot echoed over the treetops.

In the telling version, we’ve taken a step back, making ourselves more distant from the story. I’m telling you what happened, but I’m not letting you experience it. In the showing version, we’re standing beside Pat (or we’re inside his head), and so we experience the sound of the gunshot along with him. This is where point of view and showing vs. telling intersect. If the point-of-view character doesn’t experience something, then it can’t appear on the page.

In other words, you don’t need to tell us he heard a gunshot. Unless Pat is deaf (which could make for an exciting story), we know he heard the gunshot. You need to let us hear the gunshot along with him.

I’ll show you another one that uses sight and smell.

Telling: Emily saw orange and lemon trees on the horizon line, and the air smelled like spoiled fruit.

Not bad, right? You get an idea of where Emily is, and you know it smells bad. But we can bring it alive by bringing it closer.

Showing: Orange and lemon trees, limbs sagging with fruit, spread out across the length of the horizon. Wafts of fermented citrus made her nose tingle even though she was still a quarter mile away.

By taking away saw and smelled, we’re forced to think about vivid details that can bring a scene to life.

So yeah, that's what jumps out to me immediately. Also the issues with replied and such, but whatever, not going over "just say said"

Oh yeah, and you should give this girl an actual name and so on. Since they're just a young lady and some man, it's difficult to form any attachment.

Now, getting past the barrier of readability, the problem is that it lacks a big hook emotion-wise. I'm not sure how strong my curiosity is starting out since amnesia doesn't make for all that gripping an intro. There was no emotional hook beyond just curiosity, so once I got bored with that, it became hard to keep reading on.

For everybody else, I'll read your stuff later.

Last edited:

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Please give my story a shot as well, i've edited my first two chapters already once, but i'm still unsure. And those are arguably the most important ones so yeah.
So, my immediate reaction would be to drop this because your grammar is amateur and so I find it annoying to read. Let’s touch up on some basics here with the first sentences.

Finally Free, I let out a relived sigh as I walked sluggishly. My feet hurt from a long day of work and my head was pounding relentlessly from the constant noise and chatter of the hospital as I made my way to the parking lot. I’m so tired.

Here are the number of issues I see here alone:

• Improper use of tags and beats when combined with internal dialogue. If you’re using an action beat after dialogue, it should end with a period, not a comma. If you’re using a comma, you should have something like “I thought.”
  • Adverbs for things like “walked sluggishly” instead of just getting a strong verb. Also, kill adverbs as much as possible and just pick one verb that does the job.
  • Telling that you can easily avoid. You name emotions, for example.

I’ll rewrite this entire thing real quick while focusing on showing and setting the stage.

I heaved a sigh as I trudged out the hospital’s automatic doors, my head and feet throbbing from a long day of work.

I’ll even work on the second paragraph since it would’ve been better to use indirect internal dialogue instead of direct internal dialogue. Here we go, adding that in…

I heaved a sigh as I trudged out the hospital’s automatic doors, my head and feet throbbing from a long day of work. We had been understaffed since covid hit and twelve hours in layered masks and sweaty overalls didn’t help.

There we go, that made that far more cohesive, clean, and so on. There is so much repetition that I was already bored at the beginning, like, I get it, she’s tired.

Say more with less. You overwrite so much, like…

I made my way to the apartment, shivering due to the freezing cold.

I’d just put…

I made my way to the apartment, shivering.

Also, if you’re naming an emotion, cut the label. I see you do it a lot. Also, since you’re using first person, you could probably use direct internal dialogue far less. Just use narrative.

So yeah, this is what jumps out and why I got frustrated and stopped reading. This is where you can improve and part of my suggestions on how.

There are more in-depth things I can do here to break down the reasons why behind things, but I’m saving that for a master video that I procrastinated on for far too long. I dislike repeating myself over and over, so I plan to make that next month.

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit! Oh and, since I absolutely hate being negative, I want to say that I do actually like where the story starts. I'm not sure on how effective it is yet because of how distracted I was, but I feel it's a good starting point.