First Impression of a Story based on the title alone

i do appreciate the long titles since it has more room to insert surreal jokes from scratch

like: i have been reincarnated as a demon king, so i will start a harem of demon kings and making them pregnant, even though we're all men.

trying to make it into three words or less is a pain--at least for me.

parodying the long and generic ones, on the other hand, i don't think it gives me a lot of inspiration to make fun of, right now.

but i guess for the shorter titles with some leeway, it's easier. like from Lord of the Rings, to Lord of da Blings.

Last edited:

Mejiro

For me the artwork sometimes is the first impression which sticks and not always positive. One particular story that updates often, I just cannot/will not be reading; even if the cover art is apropos, it's a huge turnoff.

*cough* Goldthirst Company *cough*
Not a fan of Janaxia posing with her wine? (she's basically a fashionista "wizard", who tends to use her eldritch magical energy to dress like that and stay clean when dungeoneering, rather than stuff like 'blasting monsters', with the rest of the party being fairly confident she's somewhat more related to eldritch abominations of doom than is strictly healthy). I do have some alternate covers (see if I can get spoiler tags to work...)
original version:

Elven version:

Paladin:

Group:

Friend

... well am I? or not?
... ahem. Moving along-

The problem I see with the truly long titles only for the sake of length, is -- it's got a "tedious" nature to it. Impractical. Sometimes funny but really for the sake of drawing viewers, and I do mean continual viewers, do the lengthy-titled stories really have the content which matters?

as far as i know, most who that were had a way to shorten their titles in an easy-to-remember way.

hamefura / bakarina, noucome, bofuri, oregairu, konosuba, etc.

if they make it unreasonably long, it may pull someone in the first read, but it'd might easy enough to forget, either since the content itself didn't appeal or it's just too hard to remember (in case they were just lurkers with no account so no reading list or stuff)

so i guess the authors with long titles can try to make up catchy acronyms and build their title around them :D