For female readers who read harem stories, why?

Agentt

Thighs
Well, yes, but the non harem ones are just filled with useless drama! A girl can't even buy an eraser without causing some havoc. There was this shoujo, where the boy fed the girl lots of ice cream, so that she can get a cold, and he can warm her by hugging,
So,
Shoujo or Josie don't objectify woman any less than harems, in fact, I haven't read many non harem works where the girl has an personality.

MR.DANTE

that's actually a good question, I don't think being an object of desire bothers most woman, and it make more sense evolutionary to have multiple woman share one excellent man than the opposite or to go with a loser but most harem story have an useless loser as the mc that for some reason attract woman like a magnet

ForestDweller

that's actually a good question, I don't think being an object of desire bothers most woman, and it make more sense evolutionary to have multiple woman share one excellent man than the opposite or to go with a loser but most harem story have an useless loser as the mc that for some reason attract woman like a magnet

It's for self-insert purpose. :s_tongue:

Well, yes, but the non harem ones are just filled with useless drama! A girl can't even buy an eraser without causing some havoc. There was this shoujo, where the boy fed the girl lots of ice cream, so that she can get a cold, and he can warm her by hugging,
So,
Shoujo or Josie don't objectify woman any less than harems, in fact, I haven't read many non harem works where the girl has an personality.
Girls in harems are usually the most interesting characters in the story, so there's a lot of variety when looking to relate to one.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I find it funny how there is no one of the users who replied seems to be female.

I usually avoid harem. It’s the action plot that draws me into the story. But oftentimes I drop when the harem aspect gets annoying or the plot turns boring ╮ ( ̄ヮ  ̄) ╭

You can not avoid harem if you want to read isekai or litrpg. But would I read a SOL harem story? No, actually not. Not even reverse harem.

That's a good point. That's why I strive to make all my harem girls interesting in their own way.
As long as they aren’t weak ass or annoying bitches you got my seal of approval.

BlackKnightX

I'm just curious. That genre often objectivities women after all.
Well, I’m no girl, but in my opinion I don’t think any woman would like a harem genre, aside from some of them who just want to enjoy the plot, action scenes, and some other aspects of the story.

The target reader for harem genre isn’t woman, so it’s okay to not like them and it’s also very normal. It’s the same as me, as a guy, not enjoying a reverse-harem.

PunishedKom

Well, I’m no girl, but in my opinion I don’t think any woman would like a harem genre, aside from some of them who just want to enjoy the plot, action scenes, and some other aspects of the story.

The target reader for harem genre isn’t woman, so it’s okay to not like them and it’s also very normal. It’s the same as me, as a guy, not enjoying a reverse-harem.
‘I don’t think any woman would like a harem story’
lists a bunch of reasons why they might

BlackKnightX

Talk me through it.

I think it’s a matter of taste. Just try putting myself in their shoes, you know, like when I was reading or watching reverse-harem story. I can’t find a reason to like them, aside from the other elements in the story.

But all in all, it’s a matter of taste. Everyone is different after all.

Last edited:

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Ask your female readers and report back :blob_hmm:

Yati

I love reading yuri harem stories and enjoyed quite a few reverse harem stories. I love playing otome games... does that count?

In LN I love Kimi to Boku no Saigo no Senjou, Aruiwa Sekai ga Hajimaru Seisen. Does that count as harem?

I also love quite a few harem manga/anime... But I do want to see a true love ending that is romantic. It can be bad, but it has to be romantic. If the ending is not romantic like the ending of Nisekoi (manga) it makes me hate the entire series in one go.

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
...just ask why many girls don't favor them. I'm sure there will be a bunch of answers such as: they always bicker for no apparent reason or issues about fidelity. Personally, I'm amazed how the male MC could stay sane with all that chaos when everyone thinks they own him.
Now if there is a harem out there where girls are not clingy and obsessive nutcase but rather refreshingly cool and smart I would love to see it!

ForestDweller

As long as they aren’t weak ass or annoying bitches you got my seal of approval.

I sure hope my story's girls aren't like that. Though judging by my readers' comments, it seems they're not, with some readers noting that my MC only attracts strong-willed girls to his harem. :s_tongue:

I even managed to attract a female reader who admitted this is her first time reading a harem story.

...just ask why many girls don't favor them. I'm sure there will be a bunch of answers such as: they always bicker for no apparent reason or issues about fidelity. Personally, I'm amazed how the male MC could stay sane with all that chaos when everyone thinks they own him.
Now if there is a harem out there where girls are not clingy and obsessive nutcase but rather refreshingly cool and smart I would love to see it!

I like a bit of jealously and clinginess. But it's up to the MC to actually fix that instead of just cowering, letting things resolve on their own. That's what it means of being a "harem master" after all. :s_tongue:

I've read an isekai harem where there's no jealously at all. And I don't find it exciting IMHO.

As for cool and smart, most of my girls are like that except for one. Because I want the obligatory naive archetype in the harem. :s_tongue:

CL

I'm just curious. That genre often objectivities women after all.
Objectify is to objects. Objectivity is to objectives.

That out of the way, I want to know which kind of harems you are talking about because not all stories with harems, the kind vying for a single male, is how I'm feeling you've implied them. I, specifically, enjoy stories of when an innocent boy (maybe a prince?) is thrown into a den of cougars (or bears, if BL). I get to experience the variety of emotions from these characters, those with their own backgrounds told in the story, who compete against each other towards claiming the boy and protecting him from the other thirsty beasts. Many times this center of attention became the main attraction because of the wealth, fame, power, or some sort of lifechanging reward following getting hitched at the hip. Harems like this don't... Well, I wouldn't call that objectifying the characters in that harem, but I would believe (in this scenario) that the object and objective is that poor boy; the trophy.

PunishedKom

Talk me through it.

I think it’s a matter of taste. Just try putting myself in their shoes, you know, like when I was reading or watching reverse-harem story. I can’t find a reason to like them, aside from the other elements in the story.

But all in all, it’s a matter of taste. Everyone is different after all.
I don’t have anything to add, I was just making fun of your two sentences being contradictory really.