For female readers who read harem stories, why?

A.P.R.L.

Why did I enjoy watching harem, you ask? Mostly because of the plot. And yes, I'm talking about real plot. Many harems have beautiful world-building, a solid story and good action scenes without turning into a full-out shounen. It's just sometimes the harem antics would be too much and it would distract me from the story. Not that I should complain, harem is there for the harem.

Another reason is because I used to genderbend every single harem I wacthed in my mind so I could have a worthy reversed-harem to entertain me. Reversed-harems are usually very bland, and have none of the worldbuilding and development that I enjoyed in "usual" harems. I have, since a few years ago, stopped reading them as I lost the interest, probably because I watched too many of them and became saturated. In fact, the only one I follow now is High School DxD, which, in my opinion, is probably one of the best light novels I've ever read, in account only of the story and worldbuilding, not even the harem.
I haven't read many non harem works where the girl has an personality.
Not even women know how to write women, lol.

In all seriousness though, that's mostly because, as many other works out there, shoujo and the like is also meant to be wish-fulfillment. So, you have a blank slate of a girl so you can insert yourself in the "beautiful" romance story that unfolds. The same as how many MCs in harem have no personality, actually.

Last edited:

bigbear51

That sounds interesting. *taking notes*

Come now, no need for that. All you have to do is find another girl who's polyamorous and convince her to look for a willing guy. I think it would be harder to find an unwilling guy, though.

Aw, did your feelings get hurt because you happen to write said insulted genre? Too bad they weren't really insulting it. It's a fact that Harem stories tend to objectify women, with little to no appeal to female readers.

There are exceptions, of course. But you don't really care about that, huh? Just went straight to being butt-hurt. No counter examples, no 'Yes, but-', and no politesse in any form. Just 'No you're dumb.😡'
Yeah, I would say stating those stories do as such would be insulting the genre. After all, don't we say objectifying women bad, no?

And of course the mocking of feelings comes out. Funny you don't do the same for half the authors here who whine about getting bad ratings. Because apparently the lack of words can upset people nowadays.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Yeah, I would say stating those stories do as such would be insulting the genre. After all, don't we say objectifying women bad, no?

And of course the mocking of feelings comes out. Funny you don't do the same for half the authors here who whine about getting bad ratings. Because apparently the lack of words can upset people nowadays.
Uh huh. Objectifying people is bad... To most people. Harems thrive on it. Saying they do isn't an insult. It's a fact. If you don't like it, it's fine to come up with a counter example, or to write your own that doesn't do it. And then brag to the four winds, for defying a harmful cliché.

It's fine to have feelings. But you misunderstood a harmless question as a personal attack and acted like a jerk. Nobody would even blame you for getting offended. Just try to calm down before lashing out when nobody intended to offend you. (Well, maybe me a little. Sorry about that.)

bigbear51

Uh huh. Objectifying people is bad... To most people. Harems thrive on it. Saying they do isn't an insult. It's a fact. If you don't like it, it's fine to come up with a counter example, or to write your own that doesn't do it. And then brag to the four winds, for defying a harmful cliché.

It's fine to have feelings. But you misunderstood a harmless question as a personal attack and acted like a jerk. Nobody would even blame you for getting offended. Just try to calm down before lashing out when nobody intended to offend you. (Well, maybe me a little. Sorry about that.)
Well, it's less that I took it as an attack and more that I'm annoyed by the OP who started this thread, which is why I called it dumb. They are currently writing a actual harem story, then go on and act a bit arrogant with their latter comment about trying to avoid doing so themselves. Which by itself wouldn't get me except this poster also goes on and gets upset when people dislike their story or when their views drop for a period.

This has been going on for months now and I got tired of it. But I guess to you it seems out of the blue, so I understand your reaction.

longer

Balls
Come now, no need for that. All you have to do is find another girl who's polyamorous and convince her to look for a willing guy. I think it would be harder to find an unwilling guy, though.
I apologize, I'm simply projecting my unbridled desire for Arabic oil Sheikhs on others.

PyrusMG

Is "harem girl" more or less objectifing than "capture target"?