For GL/Yuri readers— will this idea flop?

• Thread starter Deleted member 165212
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 165212

So, I was trying to write this one story, which started as a rom-com, then turned into ecchi, then harem, then yuri harem.

But, there is this one guy who looks like a girl but isn't, and he also happens to be one of the main character, I guess? So, would it still count as a GL even if there is a guy inside the yuri harem. Ugh.. I'm not even sure what I'm writing anymore. I would really appreciate if you can share your opinion on this illustrious topic.

Here is the original post:
https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/harem-clikbait-for-a-rom-com-story.18703/
tsuruya-haruhi.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

DannyTheDaikon

I came here to laugh at you
Personally, I would drop it if there was a guy added to the mix, but I'm picky with what I read and femboys are weirdly popular with both genders, so who knows.

If I'm reaching for something tagged as yuri/GL then I'm expecting only women (to put it simply).

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Eh, as long as there is GxG, it's Yuri. Not my cup of tea, but I don't see any problems placing a male within the harem pool.

Though, I'd watch for the ending. If you want a story mainly about girl love, you should end with girl love. Switching it around might make some readers unhappy. Regular harems are hard to do alone with endings.

God_of_Darkness

I would read but is it considered gender bender? I would read almost all gender bender with girl love.

Enkiari

So, I was trying to write this one story, which started as a rom-com, then turned into ecchi, then harem, then yuri harem.

But, there is this one guy who looks like a girl but isn't, and he also happens to be one of the main character, I guess? So, would it still count as a GL even if there is a guy inside the yuri harem. Ugh.. I'm not even sure what I'm writing anymore. I would really appreciate if you can share your opinion on this illustrious topic.
You would piss off quite a few of your readers. From what I have seen, Yuri enjoyers are very particular about their tastes.
I have seen people complain about there being a male side character. You would get annoying comments for sure.
And if the fact that there will be a male character in the harem is not well-signalled beforehand, you will likely get a lot of backlash.
I feel the fact that the story would be ecchi would make the issue even more severe.

In the end, it can work, but there will be annoying bumps along the road.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
You wrote a transwomen that is a natural femboy into a yuri harem? How progressive of you. I would love it but some would hate it.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
Personally, I would drop it if there was a guy added to the mix, but I'm picky with what I read and femboys are weirdly popular with both genders, so who knows.

If I'm reaching for something tagged as yuri/GL then I'm expecting only women (to put it simply).
this.

personally, i dont care if there are male side chars or anything like that but if one of your MCs is a male inside whats supposed to be a GL harem then, boy howdy, you messing around with some bad bait OP.

*looks at the linked thread* yeah, nah, you dont want to bait readers because otherwise you'll likely end up snowed under with bad reviews, 1* ratings and many unhappy comments. even for SH, which is generally on the chill'er side of novel sites, deliberately baiting is
According to This You're A Heretic.jpg

what you want, if you're going to have a male and female MCs is 'bisexual protagonist' and 'polyamory' tags. those make it much clearer what you're angling for without bait. srsly, proper tagging is very important on SH.

TsuruI_am_a_bot

Yandere Robot / Wife of Botty
In the far far distant past

yuri industry had fake yuri (dude cosplay girl in girl schools), fake yuri sex (with toys) (bdsm yuri / yuri with random dude appearing)
and people didnt like it. And changed to today jp yuri style. With some rare done-well toys doujins.
So i would say, plz dont revive this stuff. Its not bc you dont see it today, means its original OR "possibly good".
Its like saying "hey lets revive dinosaurs" => *point fingers to the Jurassic parc* (joke =p)

SO unless done right (novel or the jurassic parc example), people have high % chance of failing.
Its possible to succeed, but its risky, and the choice/responsibilities fall on the "person in charge"(creator).

Also in this lack of empathy internet, that never use this logic of : what if it happened to you

TO people that feel "meh whatever" or "i dont care but THEY would be pissed"
Try to picture yourself dating a girl, only to discover its a guy WITH A BIGGER DONG
or a thailand surgery ex-male

Or you reading a novel
a VERY GOOD novel

but later on, you feel something is wrong, very wrong.
Yep.
Its yaoi.

So yeah. Its not just us, or whatever. We, are all, everyone, very similar on things. Simply need to change the pov.

Enkiari

In the far far distant past

yuri industry had fake yuri (dude cosplay girl in girl schools), fake yuri sex (with toys) (bdsm yuri / yuri with random dude appearing)
and people didnt like it. And changed to today jp yuri style. With some rare done-well toys doujins.
What the hell is fake Yuri Sex (with toys) and why would it matter if the story contains BDSM elements?
These two are not like the other examples at all!
How are those two not proper GL stories?

RiaCorvidiva

Lady with a Caws.
Yuribait bad. /thread

Slightly more expansive answer: Don't market your story as something it isn't. If you tell me it's Yuri, I expect two (or more) ladies to end up together, and for their romance / affections / interactions to play a significant role in the story. There are far too many stories marketed as GL, covers, synopses, etc., and then, sure enough, there's some random dude who shows up halfway through the story and becomes half of the canon couple by story's end. Suffice it to say, this sort of false advertising is strongly maligned and will earn you no small amount of ire.

aattss

Different people have different interests, so be clear up front what they're getting into.