For those authors with a fear of failure

LostLibrarian

There often are (especially newer) authors who have problems writing and publishing because they fear possible failures and the readers' reaction.
So for those, just look at this:

world.png

This is Amazon, a multi-billion company buying advertisements from the other multi-billion company youtube/google to display their great launch trailer on youtube.
But the creator of the video set the video to "only play on youtube" and the youtube website is that badly coded, that its own "youtube frontpage" isn't part of youtube and blocks the playback on "other websites".

So for who knows how much money, they got a banner and an error message advertising their new MMO.
How much worse could you do with that chapter of yours? :ROFLMAO:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Ouch. Someone's getting the long talk in office.

Also, they are different types of failure, one is to fail at your own job and other people's expectation, the other is to be disappointed at yourself when others don't like what you did.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Well, failing your investors is a lot less depressing than getting your self esteem bashed, but sure.
Pfft authors are just wimps. Fuck your self esteem. In the words of the great Katt Williams:
how the hell am I supposed to be responsible for how you feel about yourself, simple bitch?

I know words can hurt but goddamn. Grow a pair. I always say if you're so sensitive that some rancid, hateful comments from 30 year old fatties living in their parent's basements can hurt you...then the internet is no place for you, my friend

Ps: I'm using "you" here as a general term. In case It wasnt clear.

Ouch. Someone's getting the long talk in office.

Also, they are different types of failure, one is to fail at your own job and other people's expectation, the other is to be disappointed at yourself when others don't like what you did.
This.
I mean you have a job to do and you fail, that's also on you. Within reason. Its a job, you have to meet certain expectations and requirements.

But again, if you're gonna have your whole outlook on life ruined by somone else's disappointment in you, then you cant exactly blame others for your own weak mentality. Eventually you gotta either nut up or shut up. Its a cold world out there, Papi.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Not afraid of failure, just can't focus on one thing for very long. Seriously, I could play one game for MONTHS as a child. Now I'm lucky if one video game holds my attention for more than a week. Writing seems to work to a similar degree, I just keep wanting to do new things. Almost like I care more about world/system building than actually telling a story or somethin'. And don't even get me started on when I tried to get into Gunpla.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Remember fellow authors: failures are stairways to success. However, writing lewd GL LitRPGs are elevators to success, so sell out and do those instead. Integrity doesn't put food on the table; shameless pandering does

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Remember fellow authors: failures are stairways to success. However, writing lewd GL LitRPGs are elevators to success, so sell out and do those instead. Integrity doesn't put food on the table; shameless pandering does
You're not wrong. Just look at the author of fifty shades of grey. That's why I only do this as a hobby. I can keep my integrity and morals without having to suck up to anyone. If someone doesn't like what I made then that's their problem. However, that doesn't mean I don't listen to their opinion as it can help make me a better writer.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I mean you have a job to do and you fail, that's also on you. Within reason. Its a job, you have to meet certain expectations and requirements.

But again, if you're gonna have your whole outlook on life ruined by somone else's disappointment in you, then you cant exactly blame others for your own weak mentality. Eventually you gotta either nut up or shut up. Its a cold world out there, Papi.
im preaching to a choir here but i want to reiterate that a lot of people know this fact but they don't understand it. whenever things like these happen they'll blame the ones who did the harm and put shame on said person. I'm not saying the other guy is right, but my point is that the other guy KNOWS it isn't right. it's an adult world where people KNOW what they're doing. calling them out for their actions is just stating the obvious, but they keep doing it as if their repetition would sand off the wall instead of reaffirming the opposition's belief.

best course of action is either steel yourself, or launch a counterattack. you can't stop a bullet from hitting you, but you can buy a vest, or shoot first.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Pfft authors are just wimps. Fuck your self esteem. In the words of the great Katt Williams:
how the hell am I supposed to be responsible for how you feel about yourself, simple bitch?

I know words can hurt but goddamn. Grow a pair. I always say if you're so sensitive that some rancid, hateful comments from 30 year old fatties living in their parent's basements can hurt you...then the internet is no place for you, my friend

Ps: I'm using "you" here as a general term. In case It wasnt clear.
As savage as always, Cake senpai. I really want to see all these hate comments. I can't even get 1! I call favoritism towards others! :blob_happy:
You're not wrong. Just look at the author of fifty shades of grey. That's why I only do this as a hobby. I can keep my integrity and morals without having to suck up to anyone. If someone doesn't like what I made then that's their problem. However, that doesn't mean I don't listen to their opinion as it can help make me a better writer.
Creative writing loses its creativity the moment one chases trends. So stay original! It is always better!:blob_aww:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
im preaching to a choir here but i want to reiterate that a lot of people know this fact but they don't understand it. whenever things like these happen they'll blame the ones who did the harm and put shame on said person. I'm not saying the other guy is right, but my point is that the other guy KNOWS it isn't right. it's an adult world where people KNOW what they're doing. calling them out for their actions is just stating the obvious, but they keep doing it as if their repetition would sand off the wall instead of reaffirming the opposition's belief.

best course of action is either steel yourself, or launch a counterattack. you can't stop a bullet from hitting you, but you can buy a vest, or shoot first.
they get defensive, sure. Thats the case for a lot of people. But i still feel little sympathy for either of them, the one being blamed or the one being toxic. One is a cunt, the other is a wimp. Now my language here is coarse, so i sound pretty demeaning and dismissive, but like i just cant forgive a certain level of weakness or bitchiness. Keep it within reason, know what i mean?

gogo7966

banishing a light and a dark. she/her
Nah you can target trends and still be creative. They aren't mutually exclusive.
thers a diffirnce between making something because it's popular and making a popular thing you like

KittraMcBriar

This is a funny example because the author of 50 shades wasn’t sucking up to anyone. She literally wrote a Twilight fanfic just because she wanted to (as a hobby, like you said) then it -somehow- got picked up, she changed the names, and now she’s a millionaire or whatever. Say what you will about what’s-her-face, but she wrote -exactly- what she wanted to write, then made a massive profit off of it in spite of the fact that its terrible. That’s some high-level sorcery right there and we should all aspire to such levels of cosmic trickery

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
This is a funny example because the author of 50 shades wasn’t sucking up to anyone. She literally wrote a Twilight fanfic just because she wanted to (as a hobby, like you said) then it -somehow- got picked up, she changed the names, and now she’s a millionaire or whatever. Say what you will about what’s-her-face, but she wrote -exactly- what she wanted to write, then made a massive profit off of it in spite of the fact that its terrible. That’s some high-level sorcery right there and we should all aspire to such levels of cosmic trickery
fair enough. I was just using her as an example because it was smut that ended up being really popular. Smut sells. that's just a sad fact.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Nah you can target trends and still be creative. They aren't mutually exclusive.
I was talking in a general sense, but you are right. You can be creative and chase the trend but chances are if it isn't what you like. Well, you won't be that creative. So, I still stick by that originality gets lost within the trend chasing.

Most stories that trend chase tend to be the same glossed with a slightly different vibe. Kinda like following a recipe.:blob_melt: Though it won't matter. Trends will always find a base as long as they aren't badly written.