For words like realise/realize, which spelling is preferred?

For words like realise/realize, do you use an 's' or a 'z'

• Total voters

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
I use realize because my mother language is Spanish. The word translated to it is "realizar", so I prefer the version with z. (Though that isn't the best translation for it; applicable in very few cases.)

BlackStarLine

blackstar, you filthy traitor. Your first comment on the forums and you have to do me like that? We all know that Z is the best and most objectively correct.
Pfft. Whatever. We all know you can't spell/pronounce for shit. So don't you start lecturing me on what's good or not >.>

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
blackstar, you filthy traitor. Your first comment on the forums and you have to do me like that? We all know that Z is the best and most objectively correct.
Pfft. Whatever. We all know you can't spell/pronounce for shit. So don't you start lecturing me on what's good or not >.>
Take your lover's quarrel to the confession thread. :blob_evil_two::blob_hide::blobspearpeek:

SourDaiDai

I usual just go by what my keyboards decided for me that day. One day it's the "s", the next it's the "z".
It most likely because I switch keyboard languages often...

When writing just stick to one.

lemonrei

Z is like that one edgy kid who tries to be popular and appear everywhere but everyone secretly hates him

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
As someone who originally learnt British English I usually try to keep with realise in formal text.

Kinda same. Whole life I've been taught British English, so I usually stick to it, although a lot of books and media I read are using American English usually, so I'm fine with both versions. I try to stay consistent. Personally, realise sounds better in my head.

Suryae

Dismembered
Don't use realize.
Don't use heard, know, or similar words unless it's your character speaking.

Geek_Aflame

I'm fine with either in the stories I read.

Because I'm writing stories set in contemporary Australia, I use British/Australian English. It adds to the style of the story, especially with the one written in first person POV. Should a story from the POV of a twenty-three Australian who has never left the country be written using American English? Properly not.

Leti

Either is fine with me as long as it stays consistent. It's not the end of the world.

DDTStudios

It depends whether you are American/Canadian or International.

MajorKerina

Oxford ruined English centuries ago. In the Middle Ages, people just spelled everything like they wanted to and like it was spoken. Then the Latin-lovers had to come and tell us "we need rules" to make English a serious-business language. Even since then, nothing makes sense because English is a big gob of wibbly-wobbly wording which just absorbs whatever it runs into and it tries to have rules which should be more like guidelines.