Found a plagiarized work and reported the chapter. Now what?

Kensai

is plagiarized from Piers Anthony 1968 series Of Man and Mantas

The character names aren’t even changed.

The original Book 1 title was Omnivore - literally the one who eats all

EDIT Impressive. 13 minutes later, the story has been removed.

Last edited:

Kensai

Same author, his story Helios is plagiarized from Dan Simmons Hyperion

Last edited:

LilTV1155

No one want to get on the bad side of DMCA or any lawsuit drama. It's highly expensive and risky.

But how do you determine that this story's been plagiarized from that story exactly, especially from a seemingly less known and older story?

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
More of the plagiarized story was published on RR, with the thief asking questions on how to improve. Since I’ve been reading Mr Anthony’s stories for about 50 years, it offended me.
Wait what? They were stealing the story while asking how to improve? Why not just type it word by word?

What if it was actually Piers Anthony and wanted to switch to web format?

Kensai

Hmmmm. You’ve been a successful author for over 60 years, New York Times best seller and award winning author, so yeah, let’s take an earlier published work and post it anonymously and link it to another stolen work and call it a shared universe.

This was someone who wanted the glamour of a web author’s life yet only had typing skills. Actually bad copy/paste skills since the original formatting was kept intact.

LilTV1155

This was someone who wanted the glamour of a web author’s life yet only had typing skills. Actually bad copy/paste skills since the original formatting was kept intact.
So not just words for words, but exactly the same plot wise and setting?! WELL DAMN! That was stupid.

Jemini

And this is exactly why I deeply respect the webnovelist community. Protecting any author from plajurism protects all authors. We can't let people pull BS like that.

(Except for the Chinese sites like Webnovel (and I absolutely hate that they called their site simply "Webnovel" like that as though they claimed the name of our otherwise respectful community.) They do not enforce IP on those, so there is rightly no respect for any of them and they are viewed with quite a bit of caution, suspicion, and a complete lack of respect by anyone and everyone who knows the truth about them.)

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Not encouraging it, but I've always wanted to see how some obscure masterpiece would fair on a site like this. Like that time Crichton submitted an Orwell essay at college and it got a B-.

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
Not encouraging it, but I've always wanted to see how some obscure masterpiece would fair on a site like this. Like that time Crichton submitted an Orwell essay at college and it got a B-.

For real. If a famous fantasy author is reading this, I would love to see this happen, but within the rules.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
For real. If a famous fantasy author is reading this, I would love to see this happen, but within the rules.
Any contemporary published author will have the rights sold to a publishing house. It would have to be a work in the public domain or someone who self publishes. The only award winning self published I know is the Sword of Kano.

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
Iirc, the martian used to be self-publishee/serialized on the dude's word press.