Free First Chapter Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilPogoStick

Honestly silly and a bit ridiculous rifed with grammar issues but does set the tone of this series. Enjoy.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
While I can say this isn't the thing I would enjoy, I would imagine if that was the kind of niche I was in to, I would keep reading. It's competently written and has some unique hooks I wasn't expecting. Really, my only real complaint was the first few paragraphs being boring and kind of nothing. Because of that I was pleasantly surprised by the rest.

So yes.

Also that picture adds some nice production value. That's a nice touch.
Thanky <3

OkuraTsukiko

[Peace was never an option]

Please do :blob_melt:

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Gimme

My first two chapters are way too slow, I wanna add an in media res but I want to add an in media res of a scene from like chapter 20-30 and I'm not sure how it will shake out yet.

I'm going to say yes for your first chapter, by a hair. It really gets by on atmosphere and the quality of your descriptive powers alone. There's some really good word choice there even if some sentences are rough. And I'd say the best thing you managed to do is just take a location description and make that interesting on its own.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen

Honestly silly and a bit ridiculous rifed with grammar issues but does set the tone of this series. Enjoy.
Sorry but no. The grammar is pretty bad like you said, but even beyond that there's nothing really to hook me. You start out with the MC waking up. That alone is probably single most overdone and all around worst way to start your story. And then you have one of your characters towards the end even say "that was anticlimactic" which kind of sums up my feelings.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen

Please do :blob_melt:

Sorry this is a no from me. The only real hook here is the last few sentences where we find out she is the daughter of a mafioso. . . but that's in the title of the work so its not like a twist or anything. The only interesting thing in this chapter we already know. Not to mention, the character themselves doesn't seem very interesting; they could be literally any normal going about their life. You would think their experience with the mafia would make them more interesting and change. . . something.

Outside of all this, the grammar isn't great, and you have a unique writing problem where you just constantly contradict yourself. The main character says they want to be younger, but then not really. There are all these cool gangs on the street and you go in depth describing them, but then apparently they don't exist anymore.

OkuraTsukiko

[Peace was never an option]
Sorry this is a no from me. The only real hook here is the last few sentences where we find out she is the daughter of a mafioso. . . but that's in the title of the work so its not like a twist or anything. The only interesting thing in this chapter we already know. Not to mention, the character themselves doesn't seem very interesting; they could be literally any normal going about their life. You would think their experience with the mafia would make them more interesting and change. . . something.

Outside of all this, the grammar isn't great, and you have a unique writing problem where you just constantly contradict yourself. The main character says they want to be younger, but then not really. There are all these cool gangs on the street and you go in depth describing them, but then apparently they don't exist anymore.
I see,

Well thanks for the feedback :blob_evil_two:

jabathehut

Resident Troll
I'm going to say yes for your first chapter, by a hair. It really gets by on atmosphere and the quality of your descriptive powers alone. There's some really good word choice there even if some sentences are rough. And I'd say the best thing you managed to do is just take a location description and make that interesting on its own.
nice Pog DD taking the W

Last edited:

TachimeSan

Don't mind if I do ehehehe~~

DevilPogoStick

Sorry but no. The grammar is pretty bad like you said, but even beyond that there's nothing really to hook me. You start out with the MC waking up. That alone is probably single most overdone and all around worst way to start your story. And then you have one of your characters towards the end even say "that was anticlimactic" which kind of sums up my feelings.
That's okay. I'm just glad you gave it a chance.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
So I saw this done elsewhere and thought it would be fun.

If anyone wants to volunteer, I'll read your very first chapter (not prologue or anything else) and based solely on that I'll give a quick opinion on whether or not I'd continue reading the entire work. It's like a mini review for the first chapter and the ability to hook the audience!

I can make no guarantees with how contemporaneous it will be, but I'll try and stay up with this thread the best I can.

I'll fucking take it.

A wolf kicks shit and then gets his shit kicked in. Good shit.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I'll fucking take it.

You bastard.....start impregnating yourself with more chapters you damned whore!! Immediately!!

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen

Story doesn't really kick in until chapter 2. My chapter one is mostly an introductory into bits and pieces of the MC's personality. But eh
First, what is your avatar? Someone else has the exact one and it confused me so much at first. Is it from something?

And then as far as my first chapter impressions, it's pretty much what you said yourself. Its nicely written with some personality, but there's really not a whole lot going on and I'm not sure the random unicorn(?) at the end is enough of a hook to keep me interested. So it's a no from me.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Don't mind if I do ehehehe~~

Gotta say no. Primarily, there's really nothing that happens. Its just a bunch of people walking around and I have absolutely no idea what the story is supposed to be or will it could go based on the first chapter. Also there are some weird writing things like "He said", "She said" type words that writers use to denote who is talking, but yours are in completely different paragraphs from the quotes, so I had to reread parts several times to even figure out what was going on.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I'll fucking take it.

So to start, I was horribly confused for most of it and while competent, I think a lot of the prose and attempts at artistic merit really didn't work. With all that said, the confusion ended up being really engaging in its own right and the whole structure and back and forth was really really interesting and exciting.

So that's a big yes. It's my favorite thing I've read so far doing this.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
First, what is your avatar? Someone else has the exact one and it confused me so much at first. Is it from something?

And then as far as my first chapter impressions, it's pretty much what you said yourself. Its nicely written with some personality, but there's really not a whole lot going on and I'm not sure the random unicorn(?) at the end is enough of a hook to keep me interested. So it's a no from me.
Dude is copying my Avi for some reason. Dunno why. It's my fav anime character of all time. Mugen from Samurai Champloo.

And the first chapter is not even half as long as every chapter following it. Deciding whether to continue something on a single chapter alone isnt particularly wise since professionals allow for 10 pages before making a decision. But thanks for the praise on the personality parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.