Free First Chapter Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoodyFoxCat

Glad you took it well. You hope these things get taken the right way but you never know. All you can do is base it off your own personal experience. In my case, I was pissed when people told me my work was great for years when it needed serious work. That's important information to know.
Honestly, I am glad that people like yourself are willing to give these kinds of feedback to an author, especially towards someone who doesn't have much experience yet in starting their first story.

MoodyFoxCat

I read the first chapter. Not exactly my cup of tea, so take what i say with a grain of salt:
The jump after meeting the man and being led to a inn was jarring. Maybe it's better to just cut most of the part out and say something like "I was in an inn, paid for by the city becauseo f the incident bla bla, noone else saw anything so it gave me shivers bla bla"
Also i would rewrite the part about girl coming in. Too many words for too little effect, especially at the beginning of a story (well, I most likely make the same mistake)
I'll take note of this, thanks for the info.

Reisinling

It's a no from me.

I will say that humor is 100% subjective and your humor just did not work for me, at all. Not just that I didn't find it funny but I found it off-putting. A few days ago I would have given you props for having a unique premise and filling a niche, but I pretty much saw the same thing done in this very thread with a monkey.

Thanks for feedback. I was worried about the humor myself, asking people who read it, most seemed to like it/or be neutral towards it, thought it is a self selecting group (of people who went through). The story gets less jokey later, but after your feedback I added note about that in the description.

Also, damn, didn't see the monkey one :D Oh well, will have to improve my execution, and at some point maybe I will rewrite first chapter.

Redchaos1

I hope that my story will be entertaining enough.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen

I hope that my story will be entertaining enough.

I've... read a different version of this before? Did you post here and then change your first chapter around?

In any case, I'm just going to compare it with the original since that makes for an easy bit of reviewing. It's better. I remember being confused and feeling it was muddled with sci-fi, high fantasy, modern stuff, etc. That's all there, but the presentation makes it all much more palatable. I think you clean things up in some places, but for now its fine and that shouldn't be your focus.

There was a starting issue with the prose, your first introductory paragraph swaps between present and past tense. It's not in the rest of the chapter (so that's good) but you should probably spend a few minutes cleaning those first few paragraphs up. The writing style beyond that is fine. I'd call it serviceable.

Story wise, I think the overarcing stuff is fine. Like, what's in the background with the war and stuff. That's all good and makes things seem important, but the story within the chapter itself is kind of lackluster. Its essentially an excuse for exposition which is not how you want to start any story out. There needs to be some exciting thing that's happening right in that moment that pulls us in.

To go along with this, there's so much exposition. The worst of which I think is in characters. I want you to go through and count just how many characters you name drop/ introduce here. Its waaaayyy too much. Just like with world building, you need to start small and build your way up.

And then my final note is your main character himself is bland and unappealing. He's a weird sheltered prince who's kind of a fan boy I guess? These things could work if put into the proper context and delivered correctly, but as is its grating. And I'll go ahead and give you some examples here. Your MC is trying to pump himself up and says something like "I am X I am regal." I am regal is a weird thing to say. No one says that. "I am important." "I am royalty." Sure. But I am "regal"? No one talks like that.

And as a second example with how he relates to other characters: when he is approaching Hector to see his parents and he is fawning over him, he asks if he can go inside the room and Hector says of course. That just doesn't work playing it completely straight because that means the MC is pathetic. Other characters look at him and think of him the same way he sees himself, there is no depth there. Instead, Hector could say "Of course, you don't have to ask me." BY doing it this way, like it is a stupid thing to ask, we establish that the Prince is in fact royalty and very powerful, even if he doesn't see himself that way. Instead of being pathetic, we can see his fault as obviousness, which is far more endearing. Hector could be dismissive and that tells us that the Prince's state of mind is being enforced by others around him who see him that way and you create adversity between them.

You are 100% correct that your characters need flaws, but they have to be presented in the right way. If you present a flaw wrong, it just makes us hate them. And that applies to any real trait a character my have. There needs to be depth and layers. But I digress.

So in Summary, the answer to this thread's question is no, I would still not read this. HOWEVER, it is an improvement from what I read last time and it actually functions as a story. It's a matter now of getting those little details right that make the reader relate to thing and make us care.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Curiously asking, is it possible for an author to get TWO first chapter reviews? I've got another one which is a smaller series I'm working on the side (around 2k words per chap) and I'm genuinely curious on what you have to say on it, since I adopted a different writing philosophy for it.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Curiously asking, is it possible for an author to get TWO first chapter reviews? I've got another one which is a smaller series I'm working on the side (around 2k words per chap) and I'm genuinely curious on what you have to say on it, since I adopted a different writing philosophy for it.
Yea that's fine. Put the link up and I'll get to it tomorrow.

BenJepheneT

Yea that's fine. Put the link up and I'll get to it tomorrow.
Ight, here you go. As a precaution, it's technically the first part of the first chapter, but since you mainly constitute the first link in the series to be the first chapter, I won't urge you to change your system; just that I meant this series to be a binge read type stuff rather than frequently updated, singular chapters

Also I think you may want to do the story by the lass below me first
Curious to hear what you think of mine -- assuming you're alright with BL.
Feedback is appreciated! Thank you!
https://www.scribblehub.com/series/227015/moon-theory-bl/

JYLewis

Well check out my signature if you still doing it. You can find it here also, but it is mostly for people to post their thoughts and reviews :)

A dance of Mortals and Immortals. Factions war and a eternal conflict as old as the world rages and plots brew.
Minako Rize is born with eyes hated by others. Rejected by the world she will forge her own path in this world where mortals dance at the whims of gods and goddesses.
Events will follow that will shake the earth and heavens to their core.

Localforeigner

If you are still doing this and open to it, I would love it if you took a look at what I have up.

Links in the sig.

Cheers!

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Curious to hear what you think of mine -- assuming you're alright with BL.
Feedback is appreciated! Thank you!
https://www.scribblehub.com/series/227015/moon-theory-bl/
That was quite enjoyable, this gets a yes from me.

Also, I'd like to hold this out as an example to a lot of the other negatives I've given. Your writing style is janky, but its good enough to service the characters and story when those are strong. I almost feel the need to say this because I feel like I'm horrifically negative on the way things are written so often.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Ight, here you go. As a precaution, it's technically the first part of the first chapter, but since you mainly constitute the first link in the series to be the first chapter, I won't urge you to change your system; just that I meant this series to be a binge read type stuff rather than frequently updated, singular chapters

Also I think you may want to do the story by the lass below me first
Yet another yes from me.

And this is an interesting one since it was so short. Right from paragraph one, you're such a solid writer I already know the quality to expect. I don't love it as much as your last work, but I feel like I would need to read more to really make an substantial claims or comparisons.

I will say this: on a website like this, your name is the mark of quality.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Well check out my signature if you still doing it. You can find it here also, but it is mostly for people to post their thoughts and reviews :)

A dance of Mortals and Immortals. Factions war and a eternal conflict as old as the world rages and plots brew.
Minako Rize is born with eyes hated by others. Rejected by the world she will forge her own path in this world where mortals dance at the whims of gods and goddesses.
Events will follow that will shake the earth and heavens to their core.
Oh boy. Let's get into it.

So when you are describing a child you can't describe them like you would an adult. . . when you are talking about how attractive they are. You can calm them pretty/ beautiful but you have to do it in a certain way. And you certainly can't linger on it for two paragraphs. Right from the bat, I was thinking "this is some pedophile shit". Once again to summarize: there is no line of description on its own, but together its just creepy. There's a right way and a wrong way to describe a child.

Past that, there was nothing egregious and I'd say it was solid for what it was. I've been using the phrase "it's something I've seen before" a lot, but that doesn't mean its automatically bad. It just means you have to keep things tight and execute well. In that regards, you're probably above average with a few weaker parts but some stronger parts.

My real issue (outside that opening) comes with the hook. Its reincarnation, but you end by telling us she has completely forgotten her past life and everything we've read up to this point doesn't matter. That's an anti-hook. How is that any different than her just being a normal baby/ child. Regardless of how you follow through on that promise, you've told the reader the story is going to be boring.

So it's a no from me.
And based on that start, I might just upgrade it to a "hell no".

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
If you are still doing this and open to it, I would love it if you took a look at what I have up.

Links in the sig.

Cheers!
I can't give it to you, but you're in the running for favorite thing I've read doing this thread so far. So obviously the answer is yes.

Like I was just telling someone else, you have the quality to your work where I knew that you knew what you were doing in the first paragraph, and after three paragraphs, I was ready to rubber stamp it with the seal of approval because clearly you know how to write and clearly your work is going to be competent.

In terms of a site like this, there are no negatives. Any critical look at your work would really need to be judged like picking a book off the shelf at the local bookstore.

(So this is neither here nor there, but the apostrophe on your cover is 100% in the wrong spot. Doesn't matter whatsoever, I just thought it was noteworthy.)

yiyuehua

That was quite enjoyable, this gets a yes from me.

Also, I'd like to hold this out as an example to a lot of the other negatives I've given. Your writing style is janky, but its good enough to service the characters and story when those are strong. I almost feel the need to say this because I feel like I'm horrifically negative on the way things are written so often.
I appreciate your time! It's not everyday my writing style is called 'janky' but it gave me a bit of a laugh, haha! I'd have to agree it is absolutely chaotic and I don't know how to describe it myself either -- strangely verbose, sometimes poetic, oddly structured sentences? A ton of commas and em dashes, absolutely.

BenJepheneT

Yet another yes from me.

And this is an interesting one since it was so short. Right from paragraph one, you're such a solid writer I already know the quality to expect. I don't love it as much as your last work, but I feel like I would need to read more to really make an substantial claims or comparisons.

I will say this: on a website like this, your name is the mark of quality.
Screenshot_20210210_102115.jpg

Localforeigner

I can't give it to you, but you're in the running for favorite thing I've read doing this thread so far. So obviously the answer is yes.

Like I was just telling someone else, you have the quality to your work where I knew that you knew what you were doing in the first paragraph, and after three paragraphs, I was ready to rubber stamp it with the seal of approval because clearly you know how to write and clearly your work is going to be competent.

In terms of a site like this, there are no negatives. Any critical look at your work would really need to be judged like picking a book off the shelf at the local bookstore.

(So this is neither here nor there, but the apostrophe on your cover is 100% in the wrong spot. Doesn't matter whatsoever, I just thought it was noteworthy.)

Wow...thank you so much! I am floored and honored. I really, really appreciate it! Like, I'm buzzing now, thank you so much!
πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡

Re: the apostrophe...I was trying to establish ownership, as in the dirge belongs to the Angel. The font makes it look like it's between the E and the L. Or did I miss something basic and do something dumb?

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Wow...thank you so much! I am floored and honored. I really, really appreciate it! Like, I'm buzzing now, thank you so much!
πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡

Re: the apostrophe...I was trying to establish ownership, as in the dirge belongs to the Angel. The font makes it look like it's between the E and the L. Or did I miss something basic and do something dumb?
No I was making a joke about how it looks like Ange'ls. Who is Ange? And why does she own so many L's?

Localforeigner

No I was making a joke about how it looks like Ange'ls. Who is Ange? And why does she own so many L's?
LOL, okay! Yeah, the font was really fucking weird and I couldn't find a way on Canva to vertical text other than that one box. When I pressed in any closer to force the apostrophe to maybe look more correct, it just ended up making the text box look worse. ;(

Maybe I'll just remove it entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.