Free First Chapter Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: Be sure to check out my other thread and my Youtube channel: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/looking-for-things-to-review.6228/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUJHTBWLa93g8k9SAXCgSzw

So I saw this done elsewhere and thought it would be fun.

If anyone wants to volunteer, I'll read your very first chapter (not prologue or anything else) and based solely on that I'll give a quick opinion on whether or not I'd continue reading the entire work. It's like a mini review for the first chapter and the ability to hook the audience!

I can make no guarantees with how contemporaneous it will be, but I'll try and stay up with this thread the best I can.

And if it seems I missed you on the review, just send me a message. There's a lot of stuff and it's entirely possible I could accidently skip someone.

Since this thread has become pretty prolific, I figured I'd make a best of the best list. My personal favorite three starting chapters are:

1. Caninstinct https://www.scribblehub.com/series/62445/caninstinct/
2. Ange'ls Dirge https://www.scribblehub.com/series/229892/angels-dirge/
3. Queensmen https://www.scribblehub.com/series/163971/queensmen/
4. Hive https://www.scribblehub.com/series/334266/hive/
Please help me improve my writing

Thanks

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Second time here. I would like to see if you would keep reading for my newer story Call of The Dragons. Hopefully this time I can get a 'would keep reading.'

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Oh, my SWEET ROLLS! I'll be shameless then... Don't read chapter 0(zero), yes, it's my prologue...
It has magic, a statue, and a serious tone. It's in my signature, thanks.

If you think it's good, I would love a positive review of the novel itself, like a 5-star or 4? Yeah, that was shameless of me... Thank you for your time.
Would not keep reading.

Technical wise, you keep switching between present and past tense, get that sorted out ASAP.

In terms of substance, I think there are major issues with your presentation and framing. A magic trick is exciting. Anything can happen. And your hook– the way you open your story– is so dismissive. "Bosh. Magic trip happened. Don't care." Where is the pizzaz. The presentation. You pretty much lost me right out the gate.

BUT THEN I find it's a magic competition and I'm pretty interested. Okay it's a weak start and the writing is poor, but I'm kind of interested in the subject matter. And then. . . it continued to dissapoint. Like, you're MC is a petulant child who never did anything or said anything that didn't make me hate his guts. And then entire presentations remains dismissive. It's like you thought undercutting yoru own story would be funny inherently? It's not. And the things that are structured like jokes make it worse because it's the most obvious low brow stuff.
Please help me improve my writing

Thanks
Piss off with this google docs nonsense.
https://www.scribblehub.com/series/482143/breaking-the-masquerade/
i'd like any constructive feedback on my story if u get the time to read it .While it won't offer much into the story , but my plan was to address the kind of mindset the mc has , his mental support system and what demons are haunting him . The story is a slow burn though
Would keep reading.

Mostly it's just wut. I was ready for something horror related and was pretty excited, and then it's just weird sex pervert dialogue about some bizarre maid fantasy. It's so weird. And there's enough ego in other places where it all feels like a thinly veiled fantasy for the author. There's writing for yourself and there's writing for yourself.
I would like if you could give any feedback for my novel : https://www.scribblehub.com/series/487974/wondering-through-the-stars/
I am yet to finish the cover, so i will change it in around 2-3 weeks at most.
Uhh. I guess it's a no. But it's an interesting no.

So I read your first chapter and hated it. I used this word for another story but "epileptic." I had literally no idea what was going on. It was so weird.

But then I read your first, first chapter because I had a sneaking suspicion that you intentionally called it an epilogue. And first off, kudos. That's a super cool idea. And as a chapter (once again I normally skip the prologue) it was good.

So half good half bad. Normally this would be a situation where I say I would read one more and see, but I reallly disliked that first chapter. You have to give me something to latch onto and work with, and it's so weird.
Second time here. I would like to see if you would keep reading for my newer story Call of The Dragons. Hopefully this time I can get a 'would keep reading.'
Hmmm. What to give it. This one is borderline for me right between a yes and a meh. You know what, I'll go with the "would keep reading."

A lot of this was kind of cute. Like, the opening scene with them playing cards worked really well. It was just so proposterous and matter of fact. It felt like a three stooges bit. And like, the choice to distinguish the two guys by having a bandana on the head vs the arm, so much of this was kind of charming.

I do think it goes on a bit too long for what you have here. Once you have the monster in play, it can only play out so many ways and you really try to beluiger the point. I guess in your head, that's the exciting action scene? But it's really not. We haven't estalished any real stakes or reason to care, and even the best action scenes drag if they go on too long.

Last edited:

BluePheasant

I would love to know if it's interesting enough. Constructive criticism would very much help me.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I would love to know if it's interesting enough. Constructive criticism would very much help me.
Would not keep reading.

It's really riding that line between creepy. Like yes, you do start your story by being meta and acknowledging tropes about creepy Japanese incest, but at the same time, you still chose to start your story with a bait and switch on incest. I'm not sure how much credit I can give just because it's self aware, because it's overtly putting that in our mind and that's still weird.

And like, the little sister. You can say it's self aware, but at the same time her entire character is nothing but saying "onii-chan" and being overly cutetsy like it is a fetish. It's like it was written as a challenge to include all the typical fetish elements but insist it wasn't a fetish. Also, this might be a pet-peeve, but using Japanese honorifics in English writing is pretty cringe. Unless you're directly translating something written in Japanese, that just feels like culture fetishizing.

And then the actaul story? It's whatever. I know what it is and it's a pretty bland set up for that thing. Well no. I guess not bland. Moderatly uncomfortable?

BluePheasant

Would not keep reading.

It's really riding that line between creepy. Like yes, you do start your story by being meta and acknowledging tropes about creepy Japanese incest, but at the same time, you still chose to start your story with a bait and switch on incest. I'm not sure how much credit I can give just because it's self aware, because it's overtly putting that in our mind and that's still weird.

And like, the little sister. You can say it's self aware, but at the same time her entire character is nothing but saying "onii-chan" and being overly cutetsy like it is a fetish. It's like it was written as a challenge to include all the typical fetish elements but insist it wasn't a fetish. Also, this might be a pet-peeve, but using Japanese honorifics in English writing is pretty cringe. Unless you're directly translating something written in Japanese, that just feels like culture fetishizing.

And then the actaul story? It's whatever. I know what it is and it's a pretty bland set up for that thing. Well no. I guess not bland. Moderatly uncomfortable?
I'm aware of the things you have said. And it confirmed me about those things now.
About culture fetishizing, you might be right. Since I'm not a western, writing using English or American culture can also be called culture fetishizing. However, I want to write using Japanese culture, but unfortunately other than my native language I only know English.
About incest bait...it was not supposed to be a incest bait. It was there just for the plot but somehow it turned into a misconception. I'll try to fix that.
Thanx for the review, really.

Last edited:

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I'm aware of the things you have said. And it confirmed me about those things now.
About culture fetishizing, you might be right. Since I'm not a western, writing using English or American culture can also be called culture fetishizing. However, I want to write using Japanese culture, but unfortunately other than my native language I only know English.
About incest bait...it was not supposed to be a incest bait. It was there just for the plot but somehow it turned into a misconception. I'll try to fix that.
Thanx for the review, reall
Are you Japanese, if you don't mind me asking?

BluePheasant

Are you Japanese, if you don't mind me asking?
No, I'm not. Unfortunately, web novels aren't popular yet in my country. So can't write using my culture to target them. I'm targeting anime enjoyers bcz I am most experienced with animes and their cultures after mine.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
No, I'm not. Unfortunately, web novels aren't popular yet in my country. So can't write using my culture to target them. I'm targeting anime enjoyers bcz I am most experienced with animes and their cultures after mine.
And I think that's what I'm saying talking about a lot of this. You're looking at the most bombastic examples of Japanese culture based on the Japense media youre seeing and watching and it doesn't feel genuine.

With that said, a lot of what I was picking up on is the same stuff that those aforementioned Japanese media are selling. So in that way, you might be pretty close to the intended exeuction, just not realizing that's why they do certain things. . . certain ways.

I think the big question here is marketeability. You're writing something you don't necessarily understand because you are aware there is a market for it. I'm not going to say that's wrong, but from an artistic perspective that doesn't care about popularity or marketability, I would encourage you to write about what you know and make what you're doing your own.

BluePheasant

And I think that's what I'm saying talking about a lot of this. You're looking at the most bombastic examples of Japanese culture based on the Japense media youre seeing and watching and it doesn't feel genuine.

With that said, a lot of what I was picking up on is the same stuff that those aforementioned Japanese media are selling. So in that way, you might be pretty close to the intended exeuction, just not realizing that's why they do certain things. . . certain ways.

I think the big question here is marketeability. You're writing something you don't necessarily understand because you are aware there is a market for it. I'm not going to say that's wrong, but from an artistic perspective that doesn't care about popularity or marketability, I would encourage you to write about what you know and make what you're doing your own.
I understand you, but that would mean, I won't be able to write at all. Like I said, I don't have a market for what I perfectly know. I live in Bangladesh and my language is Bangla, but no one in my country writes or reads web novels of my culture. And there's no known website for that matter. I'd need to publish and hugely promote stuff to get them to read. As an amateur writer with no real experience on literature as a subject, that's just absurd. So tell me what's the point of writing something that no one will read? But if I find a suitable place where I can show my work of my culture I'll try it out.

So now I think what will help is getting myself to realise those certain things you talked about that I don't realise. Right?

Last edited:

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I understand you, but that would mean, I won't be able to write at all. Like I said, I don't have a market for what I perfectly know. I live in Bangladesh and my language is Bangla, but no one in my country writes or reads web novels of my culture. And there's no known website for that matter. I'd need to publish and hugely promote stuff to get them to read. As an amateur writer with no real experience on literature as a subject, that's just absurd. So tell me what's the point of writing something that no one will read? But if I find a suitable place where I can show my work of my culture I'll try it out.

So now I think what will help is getting myself to realise those certain things you talked about that I don't realise. Right?
Once again every has their preference, but I would MUCH rather read a story about Bangladesh culture than Japanese. It would obviously need to be in a language I read, but once again: personal preference.

If what you write is good, I think people will respond to that. The trick that is marketing is getting people to read something bad.

VyStarlit

This seems like fun. I would love constructive feedback on the first chapter.

ZeroX0666

UPDATE: Be sure to check out my other thread and my Youtube channel: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/looking-for-things-to-review.6228/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUJHTBWLa93g8k9SAXCgSzw

So I saw this done elsewhere and thought it would be fun.

If anyone wants to volunteer, I'll read your very first chapter (not prologue or anything else) and based solely on that I'll give a quick opinion on whether or not I'd continue reading the entire work. It's like a mini review for the first chapter and the ability to hook the audience!

I can make no guarantees with how contemporaneous it will be, but I'll try and stay up with this thread the best I can.

And if it seems I missed you on the review, just send me a message. There's a lot of stuff and it's entirely possible I could accidently skip someone.

Since this thread has become pretty prolific, I figured I'd make a best of the best list. My personal favorite three starting chapters are:

1. Caninstinct https://www.scribblehub.com/series/62445/caninstinct/
2. Ange'ls Dirge https://www.scribblehub.com/series/229892/angels-dirge/
3. Queensmen https://www.scribblehub.com/series/163971/queensmen/
4. Hive https://www.scribblehub.com/series/334266/hive/
This seems interesting.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
This seems like fun. I would love constructive feedback on the first chapter.

Would not keep reading.

Mechanically for portal fantasy, it's a bit more interesting than most stories. I appreciate the creative, and more interesting way we get from the real world to where we're going.

But then the writing isn't great. It's not bad, but it isn't strong either. And the chapter goes on a long time it feels. You lost my attention at some point. I think conceptually, you have two chapters here– the on earth stuff and then everything else starting with the "pirate".

If you're looking for suggestions those are my big two. Seperate out the different ideas, and then pump up the start. You can introduce a little more about the MC and punch up that starting scene because it is interesting, just under played.
This seems interesting.
Would read one more chapter to find out.

Short and sweet. There's not a lot to go off of since nothing really happens, but that's okay since it wasn't drawn out. The writing worked and was easy to read, and you create some sympathy for your character even though nothing happens. So it's charming on that level.

I will say, there are a few techcnical issues with the writing. A few sentences were somewhat humerously just wrong. It didn't hurt my enjoyment (if anything it increased it) but it is a flaw I noticed.

If I was really going to mettle and offer a substantial change, it would be the very end. Even as a short chapter, you really could have hooked me if something happened, and it felt like you were building up to something. Like she was goign to steal from the merchant. . . or do something. If there was actually a point to this chapter, something to make me say "oh", I'd really like it.

Last edited:

LiteraryWho

You're doing great work here. The first chapter is often the most important, and it can be the hardest to get right. I'm interested what you think about mine for Nova.

Ymadthepirate

Professional Bitch Faggot in da house
You're doing great work here. The first chapter is often the most important, and it can be the hardest to get right. I'm interested what you think about mine for Nova.
Hey you tried not get frank miller cancelled one time on of the greatest Batman comic artists

SK123

This thread looks like it makes you want to improve your story... Mind if I join in?

Just a quick reminder: my first chapter is short and English is not my first language.

Last edited:

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Would not keep reading.

The first section went a little too hard on the power trip and was pretty off putting. HOWEVER, once we realized it was a dream, I was more okay with it. I still don't think it has independant merit and there isn't any real nuance there to make it good in a vacuum, but I was okay with it once I had been given context.

Section two isn't much better however. The MC works better here, but from a story construction point of view, it's problematic. You have this dense fantasy world, and you start us off in a fantasy world in that fantasy world with section 1. And then you pull back and just exposit dialogue in section 2. It's not really story telling, and it's certainly not efficient.

Picture this, you use the section one day dream to world build. He's reenacting some historic event like what's being talked about in section 2. You can even keep the power trip, just make it a bit more nuanced. And then he gets woken up with a question or something, and he says "I was just there, it's xyz."

You see what I mean? I'm not going to say this structure for a first chapter is good. . . but there's still a lot of room for improvement in what you have.

And then section 3. . . I don't even know. It's a bit too much strange world building at that point. I'm already tired from what came before. You haven't really endeared your characters. I would say overall keep the entire chapter more focused on a singular idea. You're bogging us down with everything you've got.
This thread looks like it makes you want to improve your story... Mind if I join in?

Just a quick reminder: my first chapter is short and English is not my first language.
Would not keep reading.

I have two main complaints and neither of them have to do with English being your second langauge. The first is kind of the opposite really and something foreign writers do well a lot of the time. You have very floaty prose. You use lots of extra words and you focus on pointless things.

Example: "Typically, the young man would always notice the hay ceiling first, every time he woke up. Yet, today was different."

You take us out of the story to tell us what the POV is not seeing. Weird. I get that you're trying to set the scene, but it's a round about way and clunky. You describe a floor as stiff. There's not a lot of prose, but you have a very native speaker mentality where you aren't considering what each word contributes.

And piggybacking off that, those problems bleed into the characters. I really don't like the dialogue. It's such an over the top and goofy portrayal of children. None of the dialogue feels real. And you have those same prose problems just in speech.

Also a weird fixation on colors. You love talking and identifying people by their hair and eyes and what not. Once? Sure. But once it's established move on if you don't have a good reason to linger on it. Give us there names and then use their names.

I do have a big compliment here. You use the dream sequence really well for your first chapter. You end it quick (hooray) but you have that juxtaposition there that was cute and you use the motiff to bookend the chapter. I'm probably never going to encourage dream use, but yours actually added something to the chapter, which might be the first time I've ever said that in a web novel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.