Frequently Asked Questions

LilTV1155

Which forum channel / thread do I check for upcoming SH writing contests?

FernGilly

So I'm having some issues with a rules conflict I could use resolution on!

I want to release several side chapters that are, ostensibly, not a story. They contains stories to alleviate some of the dryness of the text, but it is at its core a technical manual and unsuitable for the site. I'd like to post it as a separate book, because not one but two of my novels refer to the 'rules' of these side chapters; I think it would be some kind of violation of anti-cheating measures if I posted the chapters from this side story in both novels. I would earn the ire of some member of staff for reposting (spam), I'm sure? But there are additional rules which prevent me from posting side chapters and bonus content off-site; this means that if I want to write this side chapter, I must post it to Scribblehub.

Which of the rules takes precedent? Should I post my technical manual as its own book in a shared universe, or am I prohibited? Am I allowed to store this side-content off site, even though it will contain bonus content for the novels I'm writing? Or should I post it twice in each book?

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I want to make sure I'm in good standing.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
So I'm having some issues with a rules conflict I could use resolution on!

I want to release several side chapters that are, ostensibly, not a story. They contains stories to alleviate some of the dryness of the text, but it is at its core a technical manual and unsuitable for the site. I'd like to post it as a separate book, because not one but two of my novels refer to the 'rules' of these side chapters; I think it would be some kind of violation of anti-cheating measures if I posted the chapters from this side story in both novels. I would earn the ire of some member of staff for reposting (spam), I'm sure? But there are additional rules which prevent me from posting side chapters and bonus content off-site; this means that if I want to write this side chapter, I must post it to Scribblehub.

Which of the rules takes precedent? Should I post my technical manual as its own book in a shared universe, or am I prohibited? Am I allowed to store this side-content off site, even though it will contain bonus content for the novels I'm writing? Or should I post it twice in each book?

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I want to make sure I'm in good standing.
Maybe just add those stuff to your novel's glossary instead if it's just a technical manual?

FernGilly

I don't think there is any character limit to the glossary, but I never tried checking.
Alright! I'll try this for now. Even if the text editor for the glossary isn't very good, I can at least accomplish my goals here.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
But there are additional rules which prevent me from posting side chapters and bonus content off-site
Wait, there's a rule against that? :blob_blank: Admittedly, it's been forever since I read the rules so I might not remember but I do have a glossary that could be constituted as 'bonus content'. I simply posted it on my website though (since it's a pdf file meant for downloading) and only gave the link here on SH for anyone who might be interested. Is that actually forbidden?

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
But there are additional rules which prevent me from posting side chapters and bonus content off-site;
Hmm? Are you referring to the rule where you can’t upload a partial story, but then redirect readers to another site if they want to read more?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Wait, there's a rule against that? :blob_blank: Admittedly, it's been forever since I read the rules so I might not remember but I do have a glossary that could be constituted as 'bonus content'. I simply posted it on my website though (since it's a pdf file meant for downloading) and only gave the link here on SH for anyone who might be interested. Is that actually forbidden?
I'll put it in easy terms: say you have Series A and Series A: The Spin Off. If you post chapters for Series A and then proceed to lock the rest in a paywall or Patreon or a different site without giving an explicit intent that your uploads are for sampling purposes only, that can be considered a violation of the rules.

However, if you use Series A to announce that you have Series A: The Spin Off but you're only posting it exclusively somewhere else while still uploading the rest of Series A, you're golden, cause' Series A: The Spin Off is technically seperate from Series A, and it's not inherently wrong to promote your work on other sites, so long as it doesn't directly interfere with the content you're using as a platform to promote with.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I'll put it in easy terms: say you have Series A and Series A: The Spin Off. If you post chapters for Series A and then proceed to lock the rest in a paywall or Patreon or a different site without giving an explicit intent that your uploads are for sampling purposes only, that can be considered a violation of the rules.

However, if you use Series A to announce that you have Series A: The Spin Off but you're only posting it exclusively somewhere else while still uploading the rest of Series A, you're golden, cause' Series A: The Spin Off is technically seperate from Series A, and it's not inherently wrong to promote your work on other sites, so long as it doesn't directly interfere with the content you're using as a platform to promote with.
Yeah, that makes sense. I would have been really confused otherwise because we have built-in buttons for Patreon, ko-fi, and similar sites, after all, which feels kind of like endorsing extra content somewhere else.

Renska52

how do you get enough privileges to make your own threads or posts in the forum?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
how do you get enough privileges to make your own threads or posts in the forum?
iirc it was 15min spending time on the forum, could be longer but @AliceShiki should know the answer better

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
iirc it was 15min spending time on the forum, could be longer but @AliceShiki should know the answer better
24h from account creation date, or 30min after you make your first post on the forums. Whichever comes first.

So, you should be able to make a thread in 17min.

Renska52

24h from account creation date, or 30min after you make your first post on the forums. Whichever comes first.

So, you should be able to make a thread in 17min.
ahhhh thanks for letting me know. your information was most helpful ^_^ <3

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I want to know if I can upload my translated novels on this site
you can, but it will be hidden in all rankings or lists and only be accessible through NovelUpdates/direct link