Gaming Discussion(Bad Experiences?)

Valmond

Anyway, ever liked a game so much that you decided to try the most recent one? Then that one turns out to be overall worse?

Yeah...I have had a steady trend of that.

Recently played Summon Night 3. Japanese Only(as far as I can tell). So I had to work real hard on the translations. Though, it was worth it. Loved the game from end to end. So I decided. Ya know what? Let me try Summon Night 5. Yeah...still painstakingly going through the game, and I desperately wish for it to end. At least it is in English...but that is not translated well. Honestly, it may have been easier if it was in Japanese and I did the translations myself.

A few months back. Decided to try Atelier Ryza. Since well? Atelier Iris 3 was amazing. Yeah...first time I ever gave a game a 0/10.

Anyway, my bad luck aside. What about you lot?

Daitengu

It's actually pretty common for games to get worse as the series goes on. Fallout 76. The last Star Ocean. Diablo 3.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Never really had bad experiences.
I've played different games and I've finished the entire series. If I recall, I did Legend of Heroes 1, 2, 3, 4. Disgaea 1, 2, 5. Rance 1, 2, 3, 4, 5D, Sengoku Rance, Rance Quest Magnum. Ys 1+2 Chronicles, Ark of Naphitism, Oath of Felghana, 5, Dana.

Those are the only games I remember... but yeah, no bad experiences. Sad

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Anyway, ever liked a game so much that you decided to try the most recent one? Then that one turns out to be overall worse?

Yeah...I have had a steady trend of that.

Recently played Summon Night 3. Japanese Only(as far as I can tell). So I had to work real hard on the translations. Though, it was worth it. Loved the game from end to end. So I decided. Ya know what? Let me try Summon Night 5. Yeah...still painstakingly going through the game, and I desperately wish for it to end. At least it is in English...but that is not translated well. Honestly, it may have been easier if it was in Japanese and I did the translations myself.

A few months back. Decided to try Atelier Ryza. Since well? Atelier Iris 3 was amazing. Yeah...first time I ever gave a game a 0/10.

Anyway, my bad luck aside. What about you lot?
Never really play games...

Valmond

It's actually pretty common for games to get worse as the series goes on. Fallout 76. The last Star Ocean. Diablo 3.
Yeah, it is. It is also possible for it to bounce back. Disgaea is a good example of going back and forth with that. Disgaea 1 great. Disgaea 2, passable. Disgaea 3? Generally taken as terrible as far as I can tell. Disgaea 4 is aligned with 1 in quality. Disgaea 5 as well ties in with 1 and 4. So it has a habit of falling and rising. If you count the side games. Then Phantom Brave would probably be one of their better works.

Anyway, it was kinda baffling for Summon Night. Since usually, when playing games of different numbers I guess I can call them. You’d look back on it from years ago and compare if the time has been significant enough. I played Summon Night 3 and 5 roughly two weeks apart. So it was still pretty fresh in mind. 😐

Though yeah. It is common for games to get worse as it goes along. I’ve been a gamer for years now. Beaten too many to count. It is just that usually I don’t have bad experiences so close to each other. 😂

Sword and Shield, Summon Night 5, Ryza. These happened from late 2020(December) to well, this month. Usually I’d go six months to a year in between a bad game. 😐
Never really play games...
You can try it out if you have a computer. Download an emulator for free, and you can download quite a lot of roms free of charge. So no kind of risk really. Just make sure to save the folders of the roms in an easily accessible area. As well as the emulator.

Daitengu

Oh, Every last game a studio bought and shut down by EA and Activision makes.

Motsu

Yeah, it is. It is also possible for it to bounce back. Disgaea is a good example of going back and forth with that. Disgaea 1 great. Disgaea 2, passable. Disgaea 3? Generally taken as terrible as far as I can tell. Disgaea 4 is aligned with 1 in quality. Disgaea 5 as well ties in with 1 and 4. So it has a habit of falling and rising. If you count the side games. Then Phantom Brave would probably be one of their better works.
Yup, Disgaea 3 seems boring so I decided to stop playing it. And Summon Night reminds me of that one PSP I played and then that oldest Ys game.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I usually have a big tolerance for games. Hell, I still had fun with Need for Speed Undercover. I don't really care for quality as long as I can get some fun out of it.

The PROBLEM comes with how I acquire these games. Let's just say I adopt the Monkey D. Luffy approach to getting these games. I don't mind not having the ability to play multiplayer, as I'm usually a single player whore.

Most of the time, simply FINDING a decent magnet is a chore. It gets even better when you get a new default browser after downloading that game. I have at least 2 different antivirus apps running before I even unpack the zip file.

God forbid you try to download a fucking WIDESCREEN PATCH, much less any mods.

Hey, at least my wallet's intact.

Oh, Every last game a studio bought and shut down by EA and Activision makes.
I will never fucking forgive them for Blackbox and Pandemic Studios.

My Need for Speeds and Battlefronts.

Motsu

I usually have a big tolerance for games. Hell, I still had fun with Need for Speed Undercover. I don't really care for quality as long as I can get some fun out of it.

The PROBLEM comes with how I acquire these games. Let's just say I adopt the Monkey D. Luffy approach to getting these games. I don't mind not having the ability to play multiplayer, as I'm usually a single player whore.

Most of the time, simply FINDING a decent magnet is a chore. It gets even better when you get a new default browser after downloading that game. I have at least 2 different antivirus apps running before I even unpack the zip file.

You're such a pity, you have to rely on magnets to download games you could usually download on an IDM for one trillion speed in a site that's virus-free and doesn't require 2 different antiviruses to unpack a zip file... wait, 2 different antiviruses? Are you for real?! But well yeah, free games.

Valmond

Yup, Disgaea 3 seems boring so I decided to stop playing it. And Summon Night reminds me of that one PSP I played and then that oldest Ys game.
Summon Night 3 has more of a Disgaea 1/FF tactics feel to it battle-wise. Honestly, I’d recommend giving it a play. Translations can be a bit problematic however. Disgaea 3 though, yeah, boring and nonsensical. They tried way too hard for comedy, and it fell flat I will say.

BenJepheneT

You're such a pity, you have to rely on magnets to download games you could usually download on an IDM for one trillion speed in a site that's virus-free and doesn't require 2 different antiviruses to unpack a zip file... wait, 2 different antiviruses? Are you for real?! But well yeah, free games.
I'm a paranoid man. I'm one tin foil hat away from owning a bunker and a shotgun.

Motsu

Summon Night 3 has more of a Disgaea 1/FF tactics feel to it battle-wise. Honestly, I’d recommend giving it a play. Translations can be a bit problematic however. Disgaea 3 though, yeah, boring and nonsensical. They tried way too hard for comedy, and it fell flat I will say.
I've had experiences with old-school games but I doubt I'd get used to playing Summon Night 3 or the series itself. Still waiting for any Japanese RPG out there, already played most of them translated games.
I'm a paranoid man. I'm one tin foil hat away from owning a bunker and a shotgun.
Better stay away from your neighbor. The kids will learn from your attitude.

Valmond

Yeah, I have a high tolerance. So, I’d play through a game until the end. Though, if I dislike it. I won’t give it a second play through.
I've had experiences with old-school games but I doubt I'd get used to playing Summon Night 3 or the series itself. Still waiting for any Japanese RPG out there, already played most of them translated games.

Yeah, it might be a hit or miss kind of thing. Given how 5 turned out, I musta decided to start on a good note. Otherwise, I may have ended up despising the series.

Motsu

I recommend all of these best shit I've had in the entire world to avoid becoming deep-fucked by other bad games:

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Ys: Oath in Felghana (Second hardest game of the Ys series)
Valkyria Chronicles (PSP versions)
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP)
Skyrim V
Yakuza series
Tales series
Fire Emblem
Dead Space
Cry of Fear

To be continued...

BenJepheneT

The kids don't even see me. I make sure I take the back door. My front door's laced with napalm. My windows, C4. I buy gas canisters for oxygen. I have a burrow connecting to my neighbour's kitchen for food. One of their kids found me. He's still reported missing after two years.

Valmond

I recommend all of these best shit I've had in the entire world to avoid becoming deep-fucked by other bad games:

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Ys: Oath in Felghana (Second hardest game of the Ys series)
Valkyria Chronicles (PSP versions)
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP)
Skyrim V
Yakuza series
Tales series
Fire Emblem
Dead Space
Cry of Fear

To be continued...
I think I’ve played all of those at some point. 😂

No doubt there are a lot of passable ones to good games out there. I barely ever find one that excels. Berseria was one of the few that really tried to shoot high. I guess one of my main gripes come in if the characters are just plain. That nothing is really making me like them to connect it to the plot, so that I can feel comfortable playing the game itself. Battle system might be good, but if the story itself falls flat. Then...we got an issue here.

Motsu

The kids don't even see me. I make sure I take the back door. My front door's laced with napalm. My windows, C4. I buy gas canisters for oxygen. I have a burrow connecting to my neighbour's kitchen for food. One of their kids found me. He's still reported missing after two years.
Alright. Let me just warm up my car instead of my food because I want to back the fuck away.

I think I’ve played all of those at some point. 😂

No doubt there are a lot of passable ones to good games out there. I barely ever find one that excels. Berseria was one of the few that really tried to shoot high. I guess one of my main gripes come in if the characters are just plain. That nothing is really making me like them to connect it to the plot, so that I can feel comfortable playing the game itself. Battle system might be good, but if the story itself falls flat. Then...we got an issue here.
Well, at some point, the Tales series has a problem with their story which ruins my motivation to play the game. Story falling short is a big issue when it comes to RPG, especially when the character feels like a robot. I do have a lot of experiences since I've played different games for 7 years, but hey, I don't really mind if a game sucks shit or whatever, as long as I am having fun. Or sometimes, when a game sucks, I just try different things to make it fun so I can play the game without complaining shit about it.

Centrist, I'd call myself. My opinion is equal as long as I am the one holding the mouse and keyboard to play the game, but if I am going to make a serious opinion, then, of course, I'd say true to what the game really is.

You said you'd played all of the games I mentioned, right? Well, sounds kind of something I'd doubt, but whatever. The fact is that we're playing games to become entertained and learn different things inside the game. If I am gonna play a game just to be stressed the fuck out, I'd rather step the fuck out and play different games that I enjoy.

Motsu

I remember being called gay and stupid back in the day during online matches. Does that count? Xbox live was a rough place.
Nah, it's inevitable to see toxic players in multiplayer matches. Sometimes, I just beat the shit out of them. Right now, we're talking about single-player experiences like "Anyway, ever liked a game so much that you decided to try the most recent one? Then that one turns out to be overall worse?" topic, so it doesn't count.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't try new games anymore. I stick with the ones I love. Whenever someone talks me into trying a new game, it feels like a huge waste of time.

Motsu

I don't try new games anymore. I stick with the ones I love. Whenever someone talks me into trying a new game, it feels like a huge waste of time.
Well, you're probably better off loving what you love than getting forced to love something that you don't want to love since everyone is free to share, decline, and accept recommendations from whoever person there is - just as how everyone is free to make opinions. (fuck twitter)