Writing General Writing Tips

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Here are some tips and tricks to help boost your writing in general:

1. Being Self-Aware doesn't make your work free from scrutiny, acknowledging a common trope and continuing on adds nothing to the story.

1. Deconstructions or subversions are NOT inherently edgy or evil nor does it make it anymore 'intellectual'. It just offers a different variety of flavor within your story's genre.

1. References can highly date your work and also create an awkward moment for readers that don't understand the media you are referencing.

1. When creating a time flow in your story, remember the beats of your story in particular, not every little detail has to be filled out when it comes down to writing.

1. When building your world make sure it doesn't feel like it has been built around your cast of characters specifically, try to insert your character in a way that feels natural to the story.

1. Characters are at their best when a flaw is able to be seen by the reader, after all it is kinda hard to relate to a seemingly peerless, perfect person.

1. It is best to both relax and focus when writing, don't try to force your hand when it comes down to getting a chapter done, write when you feel like you have the best mindset for it at the time and when your attention isn't divided

1. Just because characters are typically written a certain way it doesn't mean you have to write them that way. It is your story, write it the way you want to.

1. Rereading your own work out loud it can help you find any grammar issues.

1. While the reader's opinion can be helpful they aren't the one writing the story YOU are. Be as bold as you want to be when it comes to your art.
Also before you ask why are all the tips #1? Because a faulty Google docs transfer.

Le_ther

1. Being Self-Aware doesn't make your work free from scrutiny, acknowledging a common trope and continuing on adds nothing to the story.

1. Deconstructions or subversions are NOT inherently edgy or evil nor does it make it anymore 'intellectual'. It just offers a different variety of flavor within your story's genre.

1. References can highly date your work and also create an awkward moment for readers that don't understand the media you are referencing.

1. When creating a time flow in your story, remember the beats of your story in particular, not every little detail has to be filled out when it comes down to writing.

1. When building your world make sure it doesn't feel like it has been built around your cast of characters specifically, try to insert your character in a way that feels natural to the story.

1. Characters are at their best when a flaw is able to be seen by the reader, after all it is kinda hard to relate to a seemingly peerless, perfect person.

1. It is best to both relax and focus when writing, don't try to force your hand when it comes down to getting a chapter done, write when you feel like you have the best mindset for it at the time and when your attention isn't divided

1. Just because characters are typically written a certain way it doesn't mean you have to write them that way. It is your story, write it the way you want to.

1. While the reader's opinion can be helpful they aren't the one writing the story YOU are. Be as bold as you want to be when it comes to your art.
Also before you ask why are all the tips #1? Because a faulty Google docs transfer.
Good advice, unfortunately I can't even write a single chapter without being blanked in the head for 30 seconds.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Good advice, unfortunately I can't even write a single chapter without being blanked in the head for 30 seconds.
I'm sorry. You could try a sugar and caffeine combo with some DayQuil. Works fairly well for me.

Please, do not actually try this. It may stop your heart or something if you take too much.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Dated references and niche jokes are great!
Provided you understand them.

I mean, I am cool with googling whatever the author was referencing and get a small chuckle, but there are readers out there who aren't that keen on researching.

So small sprinkles are fine, just don't go all Jason Asano.

Moreover, the references should be general, as in easily understood by others like how the catholic churches like young boys and there is no return trip for the gender benders.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Provided you understand them.

I mean, I am cool with googling whatever the author was referencing and get a small chuckle, but there are readers out there who aren't that keen on researching.

So small sprinkles are fine, just don't go all Jason Asano.

Moreover, the references should be general, as in easily understood by others like how the catholic churches like young boys.
I don't make that many references, but I did make one to Penguins of Madagascar for some reason.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
But you were number 2 when you replied. So obviously Google docs had nothing to do with it.

The answer is, too many spaces.

2. Deconstructions or subversions are NOT inherently edgy or evil nor does it make it anymore 'intellectual'. It just offers a different variety of flavor within your story's genre.
  3. References can highly date your work and also create an awkward moment for readers that don't understand the media you are referencing

See? He was wrong. It had nothing to do with Google docs. I was just trying to be polite and bring attention without being a grammer nazi, but now you're making me have to be the dick around here.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
But you were number 2 when you replied. So obviously Google docs had nothing to do with it.

See? He was wrong. It had nothing to do with Google docs. I was just trying to be polite and bring attention without being a grammer nazi, but now you're making me have to be the dick around here.
:blob_blank::sweating_profusely::blob_hide:
Cool. Is it Rico with the Kaboom or Kowalski, Analysis?
It is "Kowalski, Analysis?"

LostLibrarian

Characters are at their best when a flaw is able to be seen by the reader, after all it is kinda hard to relate to a seemingly peerless, perfect person.
Early 2000 stuff also had a lot of those "fake flaws" where you gave a person an obvious flaw but in exchange they got a power that made their flaw completely useless. The usual example of "he is blind but now his hearing is so good that he can not only see again but also dodge bullets". So it wasn't really a flaw anymore.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉

Did you just call poop?
Gross.
Obviously you have no idea about all the one commandments of writing, which are shown in this thread.

Edit:
sorry, don't know what came over me. Maybe SG forgot to deactivate my dimensia.

But i have something to contribute now. Consider:

1. Make sure your story has a point that is more than pure power fantasy or wish fulfillment. Otherwise It's kind of a shallow story that will be forgotten as reader pursues many other similar stories.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It is best to both relax and focus when writing, don't try to force your hand when it comes down to getting a chapter done, write when you feel like you have the best mindset for it at the time and when your attention isn't divided
This is why I can't write with a toddler. He drains all my energy, so I can't focus when I am relaxing.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

1. Git guud scrub - George Soros and Reformed Orthodox Rabbi William Clinton

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
This is why I can't write with a toddler. He drains all my energy, so I can't focus when I am relaxing.
Have you tried allotting time for yourself when it comes to writing? Try asking a family member or babysitter to help with the child during certain days for a set time that is good for you.

If you manage to cut out blocs of time for yourself it could probably help with the stress.
Early 2000 stuff also had a lot of those "fake flaws" where you gave a person an obvious flaw but in exchange they got a power that made their flaw completely useless. The usual example of "he is blind but now his hearing is so good that he can not only see again but also dodge bullets". So it wasn't really a flaw anymore.
The main problem with creating a flaw for a character is that it is usually surface level -- and way too specific -- like you've give here.

When creating a flaw for a character I would say attempt to have the flaw be something the readers themselves can relate to and isn't something inherently locked to the themes of the story.

I.E. A character that despite being the best at what he does has to push aside his pride and hubris after realizing he can't take on the world's problems by himself.
If you happen to be a spacey writer try isolating yourself from nearby distractions and organizing a set time when you write, as well as writing a basic outline what you want to happen within your story.

Routines are important when it cokes to writing, it creates self discipline.

Last edited: