Genre Implementation. State Here.

• Thread starter Deleted member 45782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45782

Similar to Tag Implementation Thread, state the genre you wanted listed as a genre here and your reasons why.
- Maybe you did not find the genre you're looking for through the tags. Or in the genres listed.
- Maybe you don't like how certain genres are counted genres while other genres are simply tags.
- Maybe you have to find a second or third best genre to list your story in, but it isn't exactly as accurate and close to what the story is about.

This way you can reduce the amount of tags too on the site, since you're moving these tags to genres -for those who wish to no new tags.
Ex: Xianxia, Xuanhuan, Modern Day/Time etc., etc.

Probably also the reason why we have multiple tags just to paint a picture of what actually can fit under one genre is like...

Please look at Genre under Create mode on ScribbleHub to find if your Genre already exists:
Please look at the Tags to see if your Genre got placed there instead.

Understand that this thread is different from the tag implementation. Genres are something that is not specific to one story, but an overall main category many stories fit under. Like a theme so its genre is a bit broad to cover many stories that are within that category.

Format for Consistency and Easier to Read the Request:

Genre Implementation:
  • Genre:
  • Reason:
* You must state a reason per genre you wish to be implemented.

Also, if you agree on the suggestion, like it so that it shows some demand for it.
If you disagree on a genre suggestion, quote that post and explain why you disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Napelynn

@FreemenMuaddib said:

1. ScribbleHub lacks the following genres: Xianxia, Xuanhuan, Wuxia, Western Fantasy, Western Cultivation, GameLit (different from LitRPG because the genre depicts any story with non RPG game elements, i.e. VR, Tron, Dating Sims, etc), Arabian Fantasy (Aladdin, Sindbad, 1001 Nights, etc.) and Indian Fantasy(Ramayana, Mahabharata, Vikramaditya Veergatha saga, etc.). All are very well estabilished genres and cannot be ignored or lumped under other labels.
  2. Tags have nothing to do with them: tags are about plot and characters, not genre. For example the “Harem” genre should be a tag instead, because it doesn’t define a genre at all, just the behaviour of the main character.
  3. Mixing Wuxia with Martial Arts is simply wrong: the former is an entire fantasy genre with deep roots in chinese culture, myths and religions (specifically the 3 major ones: Buddhism, Confucianism and Daoism), while the latter is just a story featuring martial arts fights. For example Naruto would be classified as Fantasy+Martial Arts, but definitely never as Wuxia genre!

I wrote it for them because they didn’t write it here despite being told twice to do so. I agreed that wuxia and the rest should be genres and didn’t feel like waiting for them to come online again for a chance at them finally posting here, so I posted it for them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

1. ScribbleHub lacks the following genres: Xianxia, Xuanhuan, Wuxia, Western Fantasy, Western Cultivation, GameLit (different from LitRPG because the genre depicts any story with non RPG game elements, i.e. VR, Tron, Dating Sims, etc), Arabian Fantasy (Aladdin, Sindbad, 1001 Nights, etc.) and Indian Fantasy(Ramayana, Mahabharata, Vikramaditya Veergatha saga, etc.). All are very well estabilished genres and cannot be ignored or lumped under other labels.
  2. Tags have nothing to do with them: tags are about plot and characters, not genre. For example the “Harem” genre should be a tag instead, because it doesn’t define a genre at all, just the behaviour of the main character.
  3. Mixing Wuxia with Martial Arts is simply wrong: the former is an entire fantasy genre with deep roots in chinese culture, myths and religions (specifically the 3 major ones: Buddhism, Confucianism and Daoism), while the latter is just a story featuring martial arts fights. For example Naruto would be classified as Fantasy+Martial Arts, but definitely never as Wuxia genre!
Please keep it consistent format and let them @FreemenMuaddib explain it in the same format as mentioned above in the initial thread post. This way its save a lot of trouble down the road and much easier to read each genre and its specific reason. Per genre, per reason.

For example:

Genre Implementation:
  • Genre Requested: Contemporary
  • Reason:
    • Contemporary is an actual genre.
    • Makes it easier for readers to find realistic fiction or stories set in contemporary/modern day time.
      Makes it easier for writers writing a contemporary/modern day story without having to put it in another genre that doesn't quite fit .
    • Contemporary fiction may not fit in Slice of Life or Drama. Both of those genres may have a story not set in a Contemporary time and lumps present day fiction together with stories that aren't based on modern day time.
    • Some stories are set in modern day/modern time but the story is not focused on that should use the Modern Day/Time tag. However, stories in Contemporary genre primarily revolve around their narrative/synopsis being set in that contemporary time so it should be its own genre too.
  • Also an interesting source on contemporary vs modern: Some may not see it as a difference but in some cases, it may be counted a bit different.

Genre Implementation:
  • Genre Requested: Wuxia
  • Reason:
    • A kickboxing story set in a different time and place and is not about secret sects and techniques will be lumped in here. I don't think a story about a 2006 Marital Arts tournament match or a story about characters learning marital art to defend themselves and their loved ones from street gangs should be lumped together with Wuxia under the same genre. You have vastly different stories that vaguely fit around Marital Arts and get placed here. That means the unrealistic Wuxia lumped in with realistic marital art stories.

Napelynn

Genre Implementation:
  • Genres Requested: Wuxia, Xianxia, Xuanhuan
  • Reason:
    • They’re genres everywhere else so why aren’t they genres here? Even NovelUpdates, the sister site of Scribble hub, has them as genres, so why doesn’t SH?
    • Genres give a general idea of the setting or the direction the plot will go. Tags are much more specific and are more about describing characters and events in the plot. Wuxia, Xianxia, and Xuanhuan, fit better as genres than tags because they describe the world the story takes place in as a whole rather than giving specifics about the characters or plot like most tags do.

D

Deleted member 45782

Genre Implementation:
  • Genres Requested: Wuxia, Xianxia, Xuanhuan
  • Reason:
    • They’re genres everywhere else so why aren’t they genres here? Even NovelUpdates, the sister site of Scribble hub, has them as genres, so why doesn’t SH?
    • Genres give a general idea of the setting or the direction the plot will go. Tags are much more specific and are more about describing characters and events in the plot. Wuxia, Xianxia, and Xuanhuan, fit better as genres than tags because they describe the world the story takes place in as a whole rather than giving specifics about the characters or plot like most tags do.
Per genre @Napelynn

Genre Requested: Wuxia
Reason: _____

Genre Requested: Xianxia
Reason: _________

Genre Requested: Xuanhuan
Reason: ___________

Also if the genre has already been posted, please do react to it instead.

Napelynn

Per genre @Napelynn

Genre Requested: Wuxia
Reason: _____

Genre Requested: Xianxia
Reason: _________

Genre Requested: Xuanhuan
Reason: ___________

Also if the genre has already been posted, please do react to it instead.
I didn’t see that you already did Wuxia. I thought you only did contemporary. Does it really matter if multiple people suggest the same genre? Getting the same reasons over and over again is useless, but if they have something new to add, then isn’t it fine?

Also, I have the same reasons for all three genres I suggested so I don’t see the point of doing them separately. I’d just be copy and pasting the same reasons three times.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

I didn’t see that you already did Wuxia. I thought you only did contemporary.
Genre Implementation:
  • Genre Requested: Wuxia
  • Reason:
    • A kickboxing story set in a different time and place and is not about secret sects and techniques will be lumped in here. I don't think a story about a 2006 Marital Arts tournament match or a story about characters learning marital art to defend themselves and their loved ones from street gangs should be lumped together with Wuxia under the same genre. You have vastly different stories that vaguely fit around Marital Arts and get placed here. That means the unrealistic Wuxia lumped in with realistic marital art stories.
Does it really matter if multiple people suggest the same genre?
We could do that too, and yes we can. Was just thinking want to see other genres recommended and not just see 10 posts recommending Wuxia.
Getting the same reasons over and over again is useless, but if they have something new to add, then isn’t it fine?

Also, I have the same reasons for all three genres I suggested so I don’t see the point of doing them separately. I’d just be copy and pasting the same reasons three times.
Alright, I see what you mean. The original intent was that so people would explain their reason per genre. Because then people can state a bunch of genres they recommended and only gave a legit reason for one genre. It may be better to be more specific like give an example per genre reason to say see this is why we need this as a genre.But yes, if its the exact same reason.

Tessa_Renalds

Neighborhood DM
If I may... I’d like to recommend this genre or a tag be added:

Genre Implementation:
  • Genre: GameLit
  • Reason: I think it would help sort and organize most of the stories in ScribbleHub to correct genre categories. For example: some LitRPGs are not actually LitRPGs, but are GameLit by nature. [IE lack of tables, skill tree sets, hardcore number crunching of level states and specific item/character]. I know I would definitely use it for my stories given the opportunity.

D

Deleted member 45782

Genre: non-fiction
Reason
For those who want to write how to tips, memoirs, biographies, etc. Or things that aren't fiction.​

D

Deleted member 45782

Genre: Shenmo
Reason:
  • Shenmo means of gods and demons fiction, a chinese fantasy fiction genre.
  • It doesn't mean its xianxia. For example Journey of the West is a shenmo fiction (deals with gods and demons) but it is not heavily reliant on cultivation like xianxia is. Xianxia is about cultivation to be immortal. Shenmo is just about gods and demons.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gods_and_demons_fiction
Or if there's not enough demand for it, maybe just as a tag would be nice too.
Planning to write a story just about chinese gods and demons so just putting this request for in the future.

Can you please add a superhero genre bc I love superhero stories and it is really hard to find superhero stories without that being a genre.

D

Deleted member 45782

I guess I'm requesting non-fiction again, but it'd be nice. It is one of its own genre in itself. And series that are non-fiction may not fit in any other genre that is on SH currently.

Case in point I got Writer's Brainstorm - just quick one or two outline guides for anyone who wants an idea to brainstorm some stuff for their stories - no tags match it that I know of, no genre really fits so I had to place it in Slice of Life genre, because there is no genre for non-fiction stuff.

For example, people who find nonfiction genre may do so for things such as:
- tips (like a series on how to navigate through ScribbleHub for first-time users)
- how to this
- memoirs
- biography

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
  • Genre Requested: Poetry
  • Reason: Where else would you put poems if not inside poetry?