Getting back to enjoy drawing

I used to do that a long time ago, but I didn't enjoy it as much as writing.

Over the years, I find that it doesn't really work for me since my brain couldn't care about the proportions, perspective and all that. I found that all the tutorials just make it unfun for me.

I just want to draw something that is fun, and not having to worry whether something doesn't look right. Any tips to enjoy my time better?

Ral

I often just draw doodles. I often just open my drawing software or notebook and just experiment.

Learning those basic stuff like proportions, anatomy and perspective are kinda dull but they do really help. I think it is better to learn those things in your own pace instead of forcing to learn them because you need to.

I also like looking at other works for inspiration. I just go around and admire the works of others. They often motivate me to make my own.

Also, tools that make it more fun. I only have my mouse so far and I find that it often hinders my enjoyment. Get the tools that make what you do more enjoyable.

I often just draw doodles. I often just open my drawing software or notebook and just experiment.

Learning those basic stuff like proportions, anatomy and perspective are kinda dull but they do really help. I think it is better to learn those things in your own pace instead of forcing to learn them because you need to.

I also like looking at other works for inspiration. I just go around and admire the works of others. They often motivate me to make my own.

Also, tools that make it more fun. I only have my mouse so far and I find that it often hinders my enjoyment. Get the tools that make what you do more enjoyable.

i do have my old drawing tablet and stylus for phone, but i kinda prefer to doodle using mouse since i can just lax around while doing it, for some reason.

i guess i can always find some tutorials that are fun as well. it takes time but most of time will be worth it.

Stratothrax

Drawing is rough because of all the secondary thoughts to drawing that intrude on the zen. It can be very hard to maintain that kind of chill focused undistracted fun feeling and once the bad gets going its often better to just step away and come back to it than forcing it and being miserable.

Having a very specific playlist for background music that puts you in the mood (this isn't always easy to find, I have a grand total of three songs on mine :blob_reach:.) Or drawing in silence is often helpful.

Practising mindfulness to prevent intrusive thoughts or cares can help too.

If you don't want to get into technical stuff then focus more on colour and abstracts and loose gestural stuff.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
You could try illustrating some chapters of my story, or find another story to illustrate if my story is not your thing.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Um, just take a pen and draw whatever you want. Don’t care about anatomy and that stuff.
Begin with easy things. It doesn’t matter if it isn’t complete or misshaped.
Draw something they comes easy from the hand. You can also draw some simple shapes and then color it!

I’m not a fan of doing the dry theory stuff. I’m stupid and have to learn it the hard way. I don’t learn how to draw stuff before I’m actually going to draw them. In fact, I used to think of a pose that was way over my capability. Then I searched up references. While observing them, I also learned about proportions and anatomy in general and my understanding of how to draw slowly increased. Can’t say if that works for you, but I could definitely cope better with that method (hard mode for dummies) than following a random ytuber who tells me stuff I can’t understand.

Also don’t follow tutorials if they aren’t appealing to you right off the bat, every brain works different when being creative. Tutorials are there to pick up some tricks that work well with your own work flow imo. If you find it boring, then don’t bother with it.
Artist can improve without tutorials— observation is the key! Just take a mirror and look in it. After staring enough, I’m sure you can tell that an arm shouldn’t reach down to the knees and the waits can’t possibly be thinner than the head. (Chibi and lolis don’t count. They aren’t viable irl :blob_unamused:)

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I've always got a A3 sized ring notebook with me whenever I feel like urge to draw shit out. I also use my drawings as a medium to visualize what my characters look like for a better image on how to describe them/how they'll act and stuff.

Basically, in tandem with my interest in drawing, I also make it a part of my writing, so it helps in both ways.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
I have a stack (exaggeration. It's only a few cards.) of flashcards covered in pen doodles of hands and bleeding fingers that gets added to every once in a while. Just draw when you feel like it and the progress will slowly add up.

Or at least I hope so.

Eleven_M.A.

I just want to draw something that is fun, and not having to worry whether something doesn't look right. Any tips to enjoy my time better?
It might help to find your comfort zone. My friend gave up on drawing full-body figures and switched to portraits and busts. She's been on a roll for two years straight.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
It might help to find your comfort zone. My friend gave up on drawing full-body figures and switched to portraits and busts. She's been on a roll for two years straight.
She got an insta account or summ?