Recommendations GL

LazyImmortal

Some GL without gender bender. Any platform.

Why do most GL novels have male souls getting reincarnated?

Zoey

Mustachu
If I had to guess; it's because a good portion of them are written by men therefore making it a lot easier for them to write about a dude in a chicks body. Then again you probably already know that and I'm just being a smart ass.

Any way I'd recommend Fu-fu (also known as Wife & Wife), It's just your average yuri slice of life manga, not bad but not great either.

Vaerama

Some GL without gender bender. Any platform.

Have you tried Murcielago? It stars an absolute villain character as the lead, and there's loads of GL plots, subplots, and characters. https://myanimelist.net/manga/65705/Murciélago

Happens to be my favorite in the genre, actually... which says more about me than it does anything else.

Also, just remembered:
anyone who calls what happens in the Rose Garden arc 'gender bender' due to a 'technically true' aspect is absolutely insane. That's heart-wrenching horror, not GB. Wonderful comeuppance though.

The suspicion in my heart is that it's a 'shortcut' to saying 'I have an interesting character' without any actual development necessary: in well over half of the cases of a magically/reincarnation Genderbend from Male to Female, the fact that they were genderbent gets about a paragraph, or 3 momentary thoughts of 'shock'/'despair' that their 'little johnny' is missing... and is never addressed with any seriousness from that point forward.

On the other hand, sometimes you get a Dragon's Bloodline, and that's just heartbreaking... maybe they just liked seeing their main character suffer from some real cruel dysphoria? Can't explain what I don't understand.

Right, the other big set of MtF genderbend through those forms tend to have been 'feminine' and now suddenly find themselves in a body more of their suiting, like 'closeting transgendered' level... and there's also those ones which are basically 'celebration' stories for suddenly and magically being taken out of that awful skinsuit. :)

TLDR: 1/2-2/3 is pretend character development/deep personality, most of the remainder is effeminate 'men' feeling more at home in female bodies, and then there's a not-insignificant amount of transgendered character celebration, ending with that minuscule amount of 'abject horror through forced dysophia'

Also, it's sometimes oddly portrayed as 'that's why my sexuality is like this', which appears to be a strange counter to 'natural' lesbianism for reasons I cannot begin to fathom.

Last edited:
my favorite GL is Yuru Yuri.

I love yuri with absurd comedy and so far I don't think there's any who can top this yet.

For the normal ones, I like Pieta, After School, Machikado Mazoku, and Wataten.

I also find my lesbian experience with loneliness pretty good.

Vaerama

My novel :blobproud:
You and me both, buddy 🤣

Here's a bunch more GL without genderbender
^Story of two friends who become more than so with a few misunderstandings. A classic, if a bit basic.

^Mother x Daughter with some incredible character depth in various places. Sometimes a panel is just... so much. Incredible in those terms.

^After Hours is an adult setting where two girls bond over music. Mature, sweet, and the drama is more nestled in reality. Least, that's how it is by volume 2's end (it may be up to 8 now? Goodness time flies).

^Adult setting again, the best setting. Basically: girl gets conked on the head somehow, and ends up forgetting everything, including about her lover, and so it's a rediscovery on one side of love. There's a deep darkness in the background of bright and cheery amnesia, either that, or it's the paranoia talking that things are way more tragic than the 'happy-go-lucky' nature would suggest. Is it the only recently absent sex life? My god, I think it's the only recently absent sex life.

^College/adult setting, about 2 girls with all-consuming hobbies (one for clothes, one for books). It's sweet, and it's slice of life.

^Beauty and the Beast girl, it's about an absolutely sweet relationship between a blind girl and a monster girl. Plenty of angst, but the sweet is just so wonderful.

^Possibly the fifteenth most tragic thing I've ever read. Still, it is utterly different in design and in construction from most manga, and it very possibly stands alone among all GL for what it is. There's a murder, an abandoned lover (that 15th most tragic thing relates to her), and all the way through it's violent, emotionally intense, depressing as it gets, and simply... the piece is startlingly good, despite me liking all of *two* supporting characters in it.

^Teacher x Student GL, it's... probably one of the more 'intense' entries in Teacher x Student I've come across... not in intensity of the feelings, or the love, or any of that... it's the failings of the characters that take center stage for me, and the well designed traumatic element couched in happiness and brightness. That everpresent factor of knowing something lies under the surface, the suspicions and, well... it's good, if I remember correctly. Ending was a little 'sloppy' because it was rushed (i believe), but it 'worked' I guess.

^An entry in drama, college age folks in a love triangle. This one brings character failings out in spades, and it manages to tell a mostly believable story in those 9 chapters. Drowning your love in another person doesn't usually work out for anybody, it's messy and it's portrayed here as such.

^An absolute classic, but it is intense in a manner most of the ones above very much shy away from (though, perhaps not Gunjou, technically speaking... but this is depicted differently, because it's a different level of cruel and horrible). Woman leaves her husband for an old friend (GL). So, naturally... goodness it isn't pleasant.

^Yuri GL with vampires. Shame it hasn't been updated in ages. Has a lovely dynamic though.

^Highest point of drama drama drama. Bunch of characters get their own focus, and some are handled fascinatingly from an emotional standpoint. Can't stand how it ends, the poor damn main character. Still, two incredibly written characters of brands not usually depicted, with largely realistic dramas (or dramas that could be believed even though they're 'unlikely'). I do actually like it considerably, but that ending really just had to nail home tragedy.

Then there's the lots-of-sex/heavy with it stuff for fun:
Pulse - Ratana Satis
Yurika's Camput Life - Harada Shigemitsu
And loads others. Think this'll do you though.

I'll bet someone else has put one of these up for 'novels that don't have pictures in them' while I was busy scouring for something interesting in GL there.

Edit: They did not, but that's all for me right now. :D

Edit 2: Okay fine, I'll drop Sky Woman. Results in a great series, but Sky Woman is the only one without any past genderbending/transitioning (Rippling Moon), and it's lovely.

Edit 3: ^It's fantasy romance in GL, with one of the best magic systems I've ever seen. Literally, only Flows is better (and someone said Mother of Learning, though I haven't gone to verify yet.)

Also, my favorite 'literary only' in the genre of GL: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/15835/flow or https://flowserial.wordpress.com/

I would be reading on patreon, but Kay L hasn't updated in so long :(

Last edited:

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
yuri without gender bender or trans?

All i can recommend on here is Superhuman Princess
Unfortunately, the release rate has fallen right off with only two chapters so far this year. Fortunately, the chapters get quite lengthy after a while.

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
I recommend
A lesbian elf and a cursed princess
My disciple wants to tease me everyday
Ice Queen
I favor the villainess
Who moved my ashes
Girl friends (manga)
Kase san (manga)
Virgin's empire (manga)
Tadokoro san (manga)
Looking up to magical girls (manga bdsm)
Living in the last days
Toto's journey
La nouvelle (manhwa)
Girl in the birdcage (manhwa)

Thor

A Practical guide to evil https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/summary/
The Yuri takes a while to come up, but the whole story is absolutely worth a read

Is the story worth it? I heard about it here and there with alot of praise but never heard why its so good. The synopsis didnt help me either. Could someone who read the story give me a brief summary about the strong points?

Also a bit of yuri might persuade me >.>

Yeahitsme

Shamelessly promoting my novel yay~~~
Save Me
Hope you tell me what you think if you take a look at it
Thanks in advance~~~~

JustAGenericReader

Is the story worth it? I heard about it here and there with alot of praise but never heard why its so good. The synopsis didnt help me either. Could someone who read the story give me a brief summary about the strong points?

Also a bit of yuri might persuade me >.>
About the yuri part: the main character is bi, but in the whole story (until now) has only slept with women. But she is undressing nearly everyone with her eyes which creates a lot of funny situations. Furthermore are the dialogues god-like. The novel takes fantasy stereotypes and says "f*ck this I will make it better". For example the dwarfes are feared by everyone since they made a huge city collapse through digging whole caves beneath it, just because the ruler of the state decided to mine deeper as they liked.
Also the Website of the novel has a link to its tvtropes side where you can get a verygood explanation, why it is awesome.

Thor

About the yuri part: the main character is bi, but in the whole story (until now) has only slept with women. But she is undressing nearly everyone with her eyes which creates a lot of funny situations. Furthermore are the dialogues god-like. The novel takes fantasy stereotypes and says "f*ck this I will make it better". For example the dwarfes are feared by everyone since they made a huge city collapse through digging whole caves beneath it, just because the ruler of the state decided to mine deeper as they liked.
Also the Website of the novel has a link to its tvtropes side where you can get a verygood explanation, why it is awesome.

Im already at book 6 right now :P Its one of the best fictions I have read so far if you ignore the huge amounts of hypocrisy thrown around.

Goswick

Drunken Australian
I recommend "Hands Held in the Snow". It's a wholesome GL story with very engaging characters and an interesting premise, so feel free to give it a read if that's what you're looking for!

thedude3445

You gotta read Sleeping Princess, y'all.

Also, this Royal Road post has a massive list of queer stories across the web, including some on here and also mangas. The vast majority are GL, though there are also BL and gender bender stories as well since it is all ecnompassing.

Bugi

I am writing GL, but I don't think it's any good... But if you are interested...

Attachments

• PSX_20200603_210443.jpg
    PSX_20200603_210443.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 186

Bugi