GOOGLE DOC SUCKS

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Alright I am MAD. So I was rewriting the first chapter. I was almost done, I’m quite sure I was 3.2K words in. And then I leave the app (I’m on an iPad with a keyboard attached to it) and return to see the latest I wrote wiped clean. I was about to post the chapter too…

Please please please tell me a good place or app to write. Since I don’t like word (have to pay for it and it really does suck), or Grammarly since I don’t like being corrected on everything while writing. I don’t like my writing being deleted at all. It’ll take me at least two more days to find time or energy to finish chapter one… so please help me.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Uh, I don't know if you know, but have you ever been a student for a college? They give out Word for them if you use your account on the Microsoft website. :sweating_profusely:
Other than that uh I think you can use word online? Uh... Maybe the app for the iPad? Shit, I am bad at this.:sweating_profusely: Maybe Notepad?

I am always scared of using google doc for that reason. I hope it never happens again though.~:blob_melt:

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Uh, I don't know if you know, but have you ever been a student for a college? They give out Word for them if you use your account on the Microsoft website. :sweating_profusely:
Other than that uh I think you can use word online? Uh... Maybe the app for the iPad? Shit, I am bad at this.:sweating_profusely: Maybe Notepad?

I am always scared of using google doc for that reason. I hope it never happens again though.~:blob_melt:
That’s… yeah I knew this would be difficult! :blob_upset:

Word isn’t good and you need to pay… Notepad might be the last restart or I’ll continue google doc even if it’s shitty… It isn’t very secure. Not as bad as internet sites but still.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
I'm poor, so I use a variety of free tools to make things happen.

When I'm writing my rough draft I go WordCounter.net. As the name implies, I use that to see how many words I've written since webnovel readers expect an average of 1,500 - 2,000 words per chapter. I also like some of the stats I'm given such as the reading level. It also automatically saves your progress, no matter how many times you leave. The next time I go to that site, my progress is still there.

But still, things can happen, so I transfer my progress to Notepad. Regular ol' notepad since all I'm saving is plain text. Any formatting of the text will be done later.

For spelling and grammar, I use Grammarly, which you find to be cumbersome, and maybe I do too. That's why I have that installed in Chrome, but I use Firefox predominantly. I go to the previous mentioned WordCounter.net and just use Firefox's spellcheck... to retype the word until I get it right. Spellcheck on Firefox is pretty jank if you ask me. When I finish my draft, I then open up Chrome and go to MemoNotepad.com. That is where I use Grammarly for their suggestions, and only that, suggestions. Even Grammarly has its issues. After I'm done, I save it back to Notepad.

I then go to Google Docs and do the same thing, just use that as another way of getting suggestions since Google uses it's own grammar system... I think. I'm not sure but I figured I might as well use it.

But after all that, it stays in my Notepad. It's in my hard drive, I can transfer it easily through USB stick or uploading it on Google Drive. It's a relatively small file that it would take trillions upon trillions of them to fill up a gigabyte so I don't even worry about how much I have. I can even search for specific things by the folder's search option and find what I need.

Maybe this method may not be with you, especially since I use my laptop to write, only because I have no other choice. You also seem intent on using an app, so I figure you want some features built in, where as my method gives you no such luxury. Still, I figured it may give you an idea to consider using it, but again, I do this because I'm poor, been poor for so long, and got so used to it I might as well stick with it.

EDIT:
Actually, I just remembered, I wanted to use this:

It's a program designed to write stories as it organizes stuff, but I found it too convoluted. Still, maybe you can give it a shot. Though I don't think it has spelling and grammar check. It's purely for writing and organizing.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Werdsmith, an app.
Also, you have an ipad but cant pump money for word?
Word is the best there is for writing, periodt.
For pc, i used apache office
It's a school iPad :blob_catflip:
I'm poor, so I use a variety of free tools to make things happen.

When I'm writing my rough draft I go WordCounter.net. As the name implies, I use that to see how many words I've written since webnovel readers expect an average of 1,500 - 2,000 words per chapter. I also like some of the stats I'm given such as the reading level. It also automatically saves your progress, no matter how many times you leave. The next time I go to that site, my progress is still there.

But still, things can happen, so I transfer my progress to Notepad. Regular ol' notepad since all I'm saving is plain text. Any formatting of the text will be done later.

For spelling and grammar, I use Grammarly, which you find to be cumbersome, and maybe I do too. That's why I have that installed in Chrome, but I use Firefox predominantly. I go to the previous mentioned WordCounter.net and just use Firefox's spellcheck... to retype the word until I get it right. Spellcheck on Firefox is pretty jank if you ask me. When I finish my draft, I then open up Chrome and go to MemoNotepad.com. That is where I use Grammarly for their suggestions, and only that, suggestions. Even Grammarly has its issues. After I'm done, I save it back to Notepad.

I then go to Google Docs and do the same thing, just use that as another way of getting suggestions since Google uses it's own grammar system... I think. I'm not sure but I figured I might as well use it.

But after all that, it stays in my Notepad. It's in my hard drive, I can transfer it easily through USB stick or uploading it on Google Drive. It's a relatively small file that it would take trillions upon trillions of them to fill up a gigabyte so I don't even worry about how much I have. I can even search for specific things by the folder's search option and find what I need.

Maybe this method may not be with you, especially since I use my laptop to write, only because I have no other choice. You also seem intent on using an app, so I figure you want some features built in, where as my method gives you no such luxury. Still, I figured it may give you an idea to consider using it, but again, I do this because I'm poor, been poor for so long, and got so used to it I might as well stick with it.

EDIT:
Actually, I just remembered, I wanted to use this:

It's a program designed to write stories as it organizes stuff, but I found it too convoluted. Still, maybe you can give it a shot. Though I don't think it has spelling and grammar check. It's purely for writing and organizing.
Thank you

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Alright I am MAD. So I was rewriting the first chapter. I was almost done, I’m quite sure I was 3.2K words in. And then I leave the app (I’m on an iPad with a keyboard attached to it) and return to see the latest I wrote wiped clean. I was about to post the chapter too…
Your issue sounds like an ipad issue rather than google docs. iOS has no true multitasking, so if you fail to sync, your data is pretty much gone.

Please please please tell me a good place or app to write. Since I don’t like word (have to pay for it and it really does suck), or Grammarly since I don’t like being corrected on everything while writing. I don’t like my writing being deleted at all. It’ll take me at least two more days to find time or energy to finish chapter one… so please help me.

LibreOffice + LanguageTool plugin for grammar checking (with word2vec and ngrams) (you can disable highlighting and only show errors after done)

But it is for PC :/

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

The wattpad writing tool saves everything you write and keep past revisions. So even if you lose what you wrote, you'll always have a lot of past revisions. I once accidentally deleted everything, but just restored the content that was saved the minute before. I lost a very small chunk of writing but that's it.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Have you tried Open Office?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I’m quite sure I was 3.2K words in.
Writing so much certainly took a lot of time. Gdocs does autosave in regular intervals unless there is no internet connection. S I'm rather perplexed how everything got deleted. Have you tried restoring earlier versions?

Otherwise, Word online is free as well as open office. But I'm not sure how it works for iPad. For pc I recommend to install the full version, the to-go version is hanging when I open bigger files...

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
The wattpad writing tool saves everything you write and keep past revisions. So even if you lose what you wrote, you'll always have a lot of past revisions. I once accidentally deleted everything, but just restored the content that was saved the minute before. I lost a very small chunk of writing but that's it.
Wattpad isn’t too bad, fair.
Writing so much certainly took a lot of time. Gdocs does autosave in regular intervals unless there is no internet connection. S I'm rather perplexed how everything got deleted. Have you tried restoring earlier versions?

Otherwise, Word online is free as well as open office. But I'm not sure how it works for iPad. For pc I recommend to install the full version, the to-go version is hanging when I open bigger files...
You have to buy it on ipad :c

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Do you have offline editing enabled on your document so it is also constantly saving a copy to your device if you lose your connection or google docs servers get temporarily fcked for some reason? I’ve never once had google docs lose a single word I’ve written and that amounts to millions of words. I have documents at 100k plus words where if I simply rotate my screen between portrait and landscape near the end of the document it will force a crash, but even then I’ve never lost any progress, not once.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Do you have offline editing enabled on your document so it is also constantly saving a copy to your device if you lose your connection or google docs servers get temporarily fcked for some reason? I’ve never once had google docs lose a single word I’ve written and that amounts to millions of words. I have documents at 100k plus words where if I simply rotate my screen between portrait and landscape near the end of the document it will force a crash, but even then I’ve never lost any progress, not once.
So basically making it offline saves it more properly? If so, I’ll do it to all my documents that I write on, thanks!

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
So basically making it offline saves it more properly? If so, I’ll do it to all my documents that I write on, thanks!
I use gdoc and word offline (phone) when I’m traveling. It certainly saves properly when I have no stable connection.
You have to buy it on ipad :c
Open office? Word online over the browser is free, just need a Microsoft account for OneDrive.