GOTY list is out and idk kinda disappointed

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Screenshot_20191207_142138.jpg

alright so let's get the bullshit out of the way and state the obvious.

Devil May Cry isn't on this list. Fire Emblem isn't on this list.

Resident Evil 2 is a remake. Other than gameplay overhaul and sparklier graphics, it's nothing new. Paper-thin narrative, robotic characters and nothing new to the table than something from the past with a new coat of paint.

Sorry for fans but Smash just... why? Compared to the last game it's just new and improved mechanics with more sparkles. More characters and... that's it. It's a fun, amazing and top-notch fan service but that's it. For people who aren't fans of Nintendo, the gameplay variety can only take one so far.

Though I'm willing to overlook if it wins GOTY, for the sole inclusion for Donkey Kong. I can't play for shit and Kong's "fuck off" button is amazing, though I can't say more than that.

What the fuck is Control anyway.

The Outer World's is Bethesda but without Bethesda. It's amazing, sure, but it's New Vegas with a fresher coat of paint and more substance. Nothing new to the table.

Death Stranding is my personal GOTY, after Need for Speed Heat. But at the end of the day, as VideoGameDunkey stated, "they built the climbing mechanics based of the mechanic in Skyrim where you can scale a horse on the side of a mountain". The signature Kojima's genius of narrative connection with the gameplay sucked me in like none other, but I can't say the same for others.

This is more on the issue of objectivity. I like Death Stranding because I enjoyed what I got and am a massive masochist. But it is a game which requires players to sit down for it, and the last time I checked, games were supposed to serve you, not the other way around.

Sekiro is the only thing I see winning, because for the genre it dominates, it brings new things to the table, along with gameplay mechanics never before seen in a hack and slash. Interchangable side weapons, new parrying systems, a guy on a fucking horse AND

A GRAPPLING HOOK.

A MOTHERFUCKING GRAPPLING HOOK.

But Arkham Asylum had that, and Uncharted 4 made it better, so no matter how good the grappling hook is, I can't give it a GOTY for that.

2019 isn't a great year for games. Last year saw Celeste, a new Shovel Knight expansion, God of War, Red Dead 2 and Forza Horizon 4. This year was fan-service all year round. It a fun game for you, but not for the other guy.

idk man these are all my subjective views. I might get a couple of mad gamers telling me why Smash deserves GOTY or how Resi 2 isn't JUST a remake (by all means, it isn't just a remake, but it isn't a whole new game either). But my view won't change, and it's not changing anything either.

Though I'd be really happy to see Sekiro win the award. If not that, then Death Stranding. At least amongst the Kojima Dick Sucking allegations, I can be happy knowing my GOTY got SOME recognition.

Also Need for Speed Heat is amazing. It should win Sports Game of the Year and if you don't agree I curse your femur to be porcelain

663b8dc.jpg

a6dbaf1.jpg

(I got better pics but SHF can only take 2 MB curse this tight pussy of an upload limit)

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Nah dude. Control is a MAYBE..its like SPC mixed with Infamous in my opinion. Cool powers in a place where dangerous artifacts are held. A little mindfucky.

But death stranding and smash bros is bullshit

Outer world? Dunno. Its actually NOT like New Vegas. Its a lot more confined and story driven. Not as big, but more dense. It can qualify as a goty. Yeah it isnt very new in concept and mechanics but still very enjoyable and the best of its genre we have gotten lately.

Sekiro is dark souls with samurai and ninjas and thats always a good thing. I dunno, grappling hook is nice but i feel you kinda downplay the other tools. They're what make the game great. They give you just so much variety and different approaches to choose from. Plus the different endings you can get? Pretty great game. Also best of its genre in the year.

Code vein? Sloppy combat, great story and bland forgettable maps. The surge 2? Great combat, mediocre story with lifeless NPCs but a fairly good map.

Sekiro has great maps, interesting NPCs And good story tho. Combat? Phenomenal, if a bit spammy with the parries.

As for smash bros, i dont even play it but i listen to other consoles and games despite maining a ps4. And i havent heard a peep about smash bros being so great. So i dunno maybe i just aint as informed about it to form an opinion but i do feel maybe it is just there to stroke the game's ego.

Death Stranding? Look. Its good for what it is. I played it. Was nice. I enjoyed the views. The walking. Then riding.

But fuck. It does not deserve a goty simply for the fact that getting into it is just so fucking HARD. You are right. Games are supposed to service US. Its not OUR job to stick with it. ITS job is to draw us in.

The game is an advanced courier simulator. You deliver shit to people. Sometimes important, sometimes not. And then hou hook them up to the internet--yes the chyral network or whatever is the fucking Internet--so they can jerk off to Beached Things hentai.

Its overly convoluted and treats you like you are stupid. Explaining shit outright what should already be common knowledge, not letting you discover stuff naturally like, say, dark souls lets you.

Yes its new. But new doesnt mean good. This is good from a movie standpoint. The game is Kojima's interactive movie. Not a game. Or at least like all his other stuff, its a ge trying to be a movie and that is what is kinda killing it. Cuz its not a game for gamers.

So. Its a good....game movie....not bad....but not deserving of a game of the year by any means

View attachment 1488

alright so let's get the bullshit out of the way and state the obvious.

Devil May Cry isn't on this list. Fire Emblem isn't on this list.

Resident Evil 2 is a remake. Other than gameplay overhaul and sparklier graphics, it's nothing new. Paper-thin narrative, robotic characters and nothing new to the table than something from the past with a new coat of paint.

Sorry for fans but Smash just... why? Compared to the last game it's just new and improved mechanics with more sparkles. More characters and... that's it. It's a fun, amazing and top-notch fan service but that's it. For people who aren't fans of Nintendo, the gameplay variety can only take one so far.

Though I'm willing to overlook if it wins GOTY, for the sole inclusion for Donkey Kong. I can't play for shit and Kong's "fuck off" button is amazing, though I can't say more than that.

What the fuck is Control anyway.

The Outer World's is Bethesda but without Bethesda. It's amazing, sure, but it's New Vegas with a fresher coat of paint and more substance. Nothing new to the table.

Death Stranding is my personal GOTY, after Need for Speed Heat. But at the end of the day, as VideoGameDunkey stated, "they built the climbing mechanics based of the mechanic in Skyrim where you can scale a horse on the side of a mountain". The signature Kojima's genius of narrative connection with the gameplay sucked me in like none other, but I can't say the same for others.

This is more on the issue of objectivity. I like Death Stranding because I enjoyed what I got and am a massive masochist. But it is a game which requires players to sit down for it, and the last time I checked, games were supposed to serve you, not the other way around.

Sekiro is the only thing I see winning, because for the genre it dominates, it brings new things to the table, along with gameplay mechanics never before seen in a hack and slash. Interchangable side weapons, new parrying systems, a guy on a fucking horse AND

A GRAPPLING HOOK.

A MOTHERFUCKING GRAPPLING HOOK.

But Arkham Asylum had that, and Uncharted 4 made it better, so no matter how good the grappling hook is, I can't give it a GOTY for that.

2019 isn't a great year for games. Last year saw Celeste, a new Shovel Knight expansion, God of War, Red Dead 2 and Forza Horizon 4. This year was fan-service all year round. It a fun game for you, but not for the other guy.

idk man these are all my subjective views. I might get a couple of mad gamers telling me why Smash deserves GOTY or how Resi 2 isn't JUST a remake (by all means, it isn't just a remake, but it isn't a whole new game either). But my view won't change, and it's not changing anything either.

Though I'd be really happy to see Sekiro win the award. If not that, then Death Stranding. At least amongst the Kojima Dick Sucking allegations, I can be happy knowing my GOTY got SOME recognition.

Also Need for Speed Heat is amazing. It should win Sports Game of the Year and if you don't agree I curse your femur to be porcelain

View attachment 1489
View attachment 1490

(I got better pics but SHF can only take 2 MB curse this tight pussy of an upload limit)

Scribbler

Yo, bro, between RE2 and Outer Worlds, I can't decide. One is gameplay, and the other is story. Both amazing games. It's a bit silly to decry games just because they're not original. Don't mean they're bad.

BenJepheneT

Death Stranding? Look. Its good for what it is. I played it. Was nice. I enjoyed the views. The walking. Then riding.

But fuck. It does not deserve a goty simply for the fact that getting into it is just so fucking HARD. You are right. Games are supposed to service US. Its not OUR job to stick with it. ITS job is to draw us in.

The game is an advanced courier simulator. You deliver shit to people. Sometimes important, sometimes not. And then hou hook them up to the internet--yes the chyral network or whatever is the fucking Internet--so they can jerk off to Beached Things hentai.

Its overly convoluted and treats you like you are stupid. Explaining shit outright what should already be common knowledge, not letting you discover stuff naturally like, say, dark souls lets you.

Yes its new. But new doesnt mean good. This is good from a movie standpoint. The game is Kojima's interactive movie. Not a game. Or at least like all his other stuff, its a ge trying to be a movie and that is what is kinda killing it. Cuz its not a game for gamers.

So. Its a good....game movie....not bad....but not deserving of a game of the year by any means
this is me, but with still a little strand of bias that wants DS to win a GOTY

but you gotta give credit for it trying something. you've never seen terrain-based multiplayer this intricately designed. you've never seen story this weirdly engaging, though Kojima overdid it with the Kojima-ness. The Mama storyline was amazing, any scene with Deadman is not.

And in all honesty, fuck snowy mountains. And the wind farm. No matter how great the three war zone gimmicks are, they are never as intensely bad as the fucking wind farms. Somehow they manage to invalidate all the good experiences I had Jesus Christ.

Fuck, I wanna go back to Metal Gear 5 now. Story valley of the series but definitely the gameplay peak.

Yo, bro, between RE2 and Outer Worlds, I can't decide. One is gameplay, and the other is story. Both amazing games. It's a bit silly to decry games just because they're not original. Don't mean they're bad.
Yeah, but at the end, Capcom is basing their efforts of an already previously established title. It is a good game, but not something out of sheer effort. GOTY is supposed to represent a year in advance for gaming, and how it pushed the medium to its absolute limits and break new ground in gaming.

God of War back in 2016 with its father-son narrative and the first hack and slash to actually incorporate RPG elements, heavy tones and intricately designed gameplay, pushing the medium further than ever, which is why it won so many GOTYs.

Fuck me, Celeste showed that platforming need not to be pin point precise but as long as it feels right, it can be fun. Which is also why it won SOME GOTYs back in 2016.

Red Dead 2 showed how far we can push the medium of realism in video games and how to craft a story even with so much busywork in between without dampening the engagement. It's also an example to how far we can dig deep in an open world DESPITE having it be nothing but deserts, mountains and occasional forests, which warrants it's many GOTYs.

If Rez Evil 2 remake won the thing, it's a literal sign that we're looking backwards. We're taking what's good before and putting on a fresh coat of paint. They're definitely the community's GOTY, but to everyone who aren't fans of the series, it isn't fair. They've done nothing but enforce the rule "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

I'm not saying they're bad games. They're genuinely fun titles that I can see myself sinking hours into if I was a deliberate fan myself. But I'm not. And it's blatantly obvious that as much care and love are put into these games, they're nothing compared to the innovation and boundaries the other titles in the nomination put out.

Control has the limits of physics in a video game broken, rivalling even the likes of Half Life 2, which only lacks polish and dated graphics. Death Stranding did... Death Stranding. The Outer Worlds pushed the medium of RPG further, condensing the Futurama like setting into every conceivable tone and theme while being fun at it as well as being a good game start to endgame. Sekiro implemented genres previously seen unfit for hack and slashes into the title and pushed the From Software expectations even further. Do I need to describe the monkey battle and the butterfly lady?

Point is, each game has done their newest and best, pushing the medium even further. Rez Evil 2 remake took what worked now, put it into what worked then, and found the perfect solution. If this were to be a GOTY material, might as well hand next year's to FFVII remake right now.

Scribbler

this is me, but with still a little strand of bias that wants DS to win a GOTY

but you gotta give credit for it trying something. you've never seen terrain-based multiplayer this intricately designed. you've never seen story this weirdly engaging, though Kojima overdid it with the Kojima-ness. The Mama storyline was amazing, any scene with Deadman is not.

And in all honesty, fuck snowy mountains. And the wind farm. No matter how great the three war zone gimmicks are, they are never as intensely bad as the fucking wind farms. Somehow they manage to invalidate all the good experiences I had Jesus Christ.

Fuck, I wanna go back to Metal Gear 5 now. Story valley of the series but definitely the gameplay peak.

Yeah, but at the end, Capcom is basing their efforts of an already previously established title. It is a good game, but not something out of sheer effort. GOTY is supposed to represent a year in advance for gaming, and how it pushed the medium to its absolute limits and break new ground in gaming.

God of War back in 2016 with its father-son narrative and the first hack and slash to actually incorporate RPG elements, heavy tones and intricately designed gameplay, pushing the medium further than ever, which is why it won so many GOTYs.

Fuck me, Celeste showed that platforming need not to be pin point precise but as long as it feels right, it can be fun. Which is also why it won SOME GOTYs back in 2016.

Red Dead 2 showed how far we can push the medium of realism in video games and how to craft a story even with so much busywork in between without dampening the engagement. It's also an example to how far we can dig deep in an open world DESPITE having it be nothing but deserts, mountains and occasional forests, which warrants it's many GOTYs.

If Rez Evil 2 remake won the thing, it's a literal sign that we're looking backwards. We're taking what's good before and putting on a fresh coat of paint. They're definitely the community's GOTY, but to everyone who aren't fans of the series, it isn't fair. They've done nothing but enforce the rule "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

I'm not saying they're bad games. They're genuinely fun titles that I can see myself sinking hours into if I was a deliberate fan myself. But I'm not. And it's blatantly obvious that as much care and love are put into these games, they're nothing compared to the innovation and boundaries the other titles in the nomination put out.

Control has the limits of physics in a video game broken, rivalling even the likes of Half Life 2, which only lacks polish and dated graphics. Death Stranding did... Death Stranding. The Outer Worlds pushed the medium of RPG further, condensing the Futurama like setting into every conceivable tone and theme while being fun at it as well as being a good game start to endgame. Sekiro implemented genres previously seen unfit for hack and slashes into the title and pushed the From Software expectations even further. Do I need to describe the monkey battle and the butterfly lady?

Point is, each game has done their newest and best, pushing the medium even further. Rez Evil 2 remake took what worked now, put it into what worked then, and found the perfect solution. If this were to be a GOTY material, might as well hand next year's to FFVII remake right now.
Now here I thought GOTY represented best game of the year. I can't really respond as I don't really see any of it as original or new. They just put a bunch of other shit together in a new way or made it bigger. I still have no idea what control is either, but it just seemed to look crazy, I'm sure if I watched or played it, it would just be something I've seen before made to look like it isn't.

BenJepheneT

Now here I thought GOTY represented best game of the year. I can't really respond as I don't really see any of it as original or new. They just put a bunch of other shit together in a new way or made it bigger. I still have no idea what control is either, but it just seemed to look crazy, I'm sure if I watched or played it, it would just be something I've seen before made to look like it isn't.
Ah, my guy, but that'd be BGOTY, now wouldn't it? GOTY doesn't necessarily have to be the BEST, hence why Celeste, a tiny platforming indie STILL won GOTY in some lists besides AAA giants. It innovated upon platformers, something that had been here since the dawn of gaming and is the damnest market of all genres, and thus deserves a recognition like that.

Certainly, I can't deny they try to make things different or put shit in a new way but at least they tried. Capcom already had a blueprint of taking what's before and make it have more polygons, and with that in mind they're chugging their way to RE3. (I'm scared that their gonna touch RE4 and if they DO, by the sacred lords of gaming don't fuck that up)

Point is, Capcom didn't try. They already have a paved way for them, all they need to do is walk the golden road. If that's all the criteria needed to nominate for a GOTY, then shit, GOTY is just another #1 New York Bestseller. For me, at least.

Scribbler

Ah, my guy, but that'd be BGOTY, now wouldn't it? GOTY doesn't necessarily have to be the BEST, hence why Celeste, a tiny platforming indie STILL won GOTY in some lists besides AAA giants. It innovated upon platformers, something that had been here since the dawn of gaming and is the damnest market of all genres, and thus deserves a recognition like that.

Certainly, I can't deny they try to make things different or put shit in a new way but at least they tried. Capcom already had a blueprint of taking what's before and make it have more polygons, and with that in mind they're chugging their way to RE3. (I'm scared that their gonna touch RE4 and if they DO, by the sacred lords of gaming don't fuck that up)

Point is, Capcom didn't try. They already have a paved way for them, all they need to do is walk the golden road. If that's all the criteria needed to nominate for a GOTY, then shit, GOTY is just another #1 New York Bestseller. For me, at least.
But then you have to ask yourself, what constitutes something as new? Sekiro, Outer Worlds, Smash Bros, they're all basically sequels to already made games. Now that's not very original, is it? Death stranding was original by doing something no one wanted. You have to ask yourself, is there truly any value to originality? You must walk the line. Now when over half of the games aren't very original, you have to start asking yourself, is game of the year really about most innovative game?

Deadrule42

GOTY contenders are mainly accounted for creativity and then overall player experience
In that case , maybe
"death stranding" as many might not find it fun but it's still a unique experience and even more unique plot
Gameplay is kind of shitty tbh , only walking and taking in beautiful scenery might work for 8-10 hours games but a game with hundreds of hours 😒 it's a chore
The combat kind of sucks and only the ghost stealth segment is kinda fun

Another might be
"Re 2 remake" but being a remake the story plot and creativity is lacking but gameplay and user popularity and fun factor is full
I played control and enjoyed it but i think it was too short and abrupt for the kind of background it had
The SCP style office provided a lot of lore and story opportunity but all was missed
And outerworlds eh the only things missing in it was open world for the lore to grow more and bioware like romances (i am a sucker for a good love story ) combat was average buy rest was phenomenal ,to the story and quest
Though it kinda felt like fallout series .5

"Sekeiro" might be the only one which 100% deserves to be on the list as from plot to gameplay it was really phenomenal
I know it's same old souls formula but still a solid contender nonetheless.
Dunno even why

"smash bros" is there and
Why not
DMC 5 😅 i really enjoyed return to basics for dmc series and all characters unique fighting styles to stylish combos
Well havnt played nfs heat as got bored for nfs series since that always online microtransactions bullshit they did

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
But then you have to ask yourself, what constitutes something as new? Sekiro, Outer Worlds, Smash Bros, they're all basically sequels to already made games. Now that's not very original, is it? Death stranding was original by doing something no one wanted. You have to ask yourself, is there truly any value to originality? You must walk the line. Now when over half of the games aren't very original, you have to start asking yourself, is game of the year really about most innovative game?
Havent you heard? Studies show no idea is ever new. Just all kinds of ideas jumbled up together in a wake that makes shit LOOK new

Suryae

Dismembered
Whatever the GOTY will be, Minecraft will always be the real 2019 Game of The Year.

BenJepheneT

Ight, you got a point there, but still, if RE2 wins the pick, it just goes to show you don't need to make a new blueprint. Follow what worked before but with a fresher coat of paint.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Re2 was terrible. Way to many puzzles. I know the older RE games had puzzles but when I spend 10 minutes shooting zombies and an hour dicking around with a puzzle, i start to wonder if they didn't confuse the genre. I mean as soon as you finished one puzzle, ANOTHER one just as convoluted and lengthy would take its place. And you BARELY had the ammunition to SHOOT ANYTHING. I spent more time dodging zombies while trying to complete puzzles then I did shooting anything. My gun served more purpose as a paper weight in the holster than anything else. Plus....why so many lickers that once again, take multiple shots to kill....but you hardly ever came across an acceptable amount of ammunition? I quit around the middle of the game. Too many puzzles, ammunition far too scarce, and I played it on normal too. I wasn't looking for a zombie-themed puzzle game when I bought it but that's what they made.

Sekiro was okay, but bloodborne was better, and sekiro's controls were awkward and clunky at times. Parrying was the end-all trick to nearly ANY combat situation. Not very versatile when the dodging wasn't as easy and fluid as bloodborne had it.

I've never cared much for Need for Speed. I always preferred Midnight Club series. Midnight Club 3 dub edition was the last great racing game to me. FORZA is just like any other racing game minus the freedom of need for speed and midnight club. Smash bros is just mortal kombat for Nintendo fans. Nothing more. I never liked Mario si I'm biased immediately. Outer worlds gets my vote just because I'm a big fallout fan. Fallout 3 is my favorite game. I Still play it. I don't really know anything about Control, but if it's anything like Alan Wake was, which is what some GameStop employees told me, then control is probably awesome. Alan Wake was awesome except for the ending that wasn't an ending. I'm genuinely surprised DMC 5 isn't there.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

I've never cared much for Need for Speed.
Atone for your sins.

I always preferred Midnight Club series.
You are forgiven.

Midnight Club 3 dub edition was the last great racing game to me.
You fucking take that back.

FORZA is just like any other racing game minus the freedom of need for speed and midnight club.
Aight', I'll let you off the hook but not next time-

I'm genuinely surprised DMC 5 isn't there.
Everyone was. DMC 5 was everything DmC: Devil May- (*hurk* sorry gotta throw up there) Cry ever wished to be but better and flashier. Fuck me if it isn't a good appetizer before Bayonetta 3. I'm not saying DMC 5 isn't good enough to best its sister but sorry, having guns for legs and tits ¯\_(ツ)_/¯