Grammar?

OddJamm

~Sweet Preservatives~
I want to improve my writing but I have no idea where to start... I know I have bad grammar but how do I fix that? I went through all the threads with resources but how do you tell bad writing from good writing? Members on the forums gave useful grammar checkers but I want to improve myself. Where do I start? I'm thinking of reading some Hemingway first and then go from there?

Lukha

mother of all ships
For me, I guess good grammar vs bad grammar is merely asking yourself the question, "Does this make sense?" Most of the time, bad grammar ends up being confusing with incorrect tenses or long run-on sentences. It's usually the same with bad writing vs good writing.

If you ever need help with improving your grammar, reading is definitely the way the go! Being exposed to lots of different writing styles can help you develop your own unique writing style too, and it should improve your grammar as well. But if you're looking for feedback and help with basic grammar, I know there are people on SH who would be willing to help you double check your grammar as well and give you opinions on how to improve your writing and your story. There's editors and stuff on SH, but I know the discord also has a discussion chat specifically for constructive feedback on chapters, etc.

BunkerMonk

I just use an online grammar checker, it gives me decent results. Just make sure you question it, you can never trust technology to fix all things.

FriendlyDragon

Your friendly local dragon~
Read it out loud. I repeat, read it out loud. If you can speak English relatively fine, then this can save your grammar. You'll find mistakes that you normally wouldn't find. Mistakes that your brain would automatically correct in your mind.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I don't think you have to rely on grammar checking sites nor people but plain trying to say them in your own words. I also have the same problems but the most important in writing isn't in grammar but how to pronounce them. Just reread the work you made, analyze if it made sense or not and try to understand how you wrote it. There are types where you tend to rely on structured sentences but there's also how you word them out. So, to half and half(i.e one on checking for grammar mistakes and one for how your character's speech would align with it.)

feirut

I don't think you have to rely on grammar checking sites nor people but plain trying to say them in your own words. I also have the same problems but the most important in writing isn't in grammar but how to pronounce them. Just reread the work you made, analyze if it made sense or not and try to understand how you wrote it. There are types where you tend to rely on structured sentences but there's also how you word them out. So, to half and half(i.e one on checking for grammar mistakes and one for how your character's speech would align with it.)
Grammar checking sites are helpful, very helpful. For example, you can use them to check tense consistency. There's also the matter using the same form of English. Usually, they can differentiate British English and American English. Those two are really confusing. There's also the fact that you can use them to correct punctuations. And frankly, just relying on your speech isn't all that helpful especially for those with English as their second or third language.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
This is probably an old-school approach but I brought books on the subject I had the most trouble with. That way I have most of the relevant theory in one place and can also do exercises. But tbh just continuing to write has helped a lot already.

TwilightForest

Being myself
I want to improve my writing but I have no idea where to start... I know I have bad grammar but how do I fix that? I went through all the threads with resources but how do you tell bad writing from good writing? Members on the forums gave useful grammar checkers but I want to improve myself. Where do I start? I'm thinking of reading some Hemingway first and then go from there?
Let me ask you a question first. Is English your first language?
If you are neither an English speaking person nor someone who has taken an intensive course in learning English, then you should probably start by writing stories in your own language. That way you will be able to develop a good writing style.

If English is your native language then I guess that you are already familiar with its grammar. Get some good books on grammar and study diligently. Read as much English literature as you can.

If you want to be an author in a language you MUST be a pro in it and there is no easy way to learn a language.

S.D.Mills

@TwilightForest is right. Good writers are masters of the languages they write in.

There are two things that will help more than most:
  1. Read award-winning published works in English, written in English, NOT TRANSLATED TO ENGLISH.
  2. Read everything you write aloud. Slowly. Multiple times.
Some people might tell you grammar checkers help, but are sometimes unreliable. They are WRONG. Grammar checking programs only check whether what you write follows the standard rules of English communication. Professional writers must step far beyond this and have such mastery of the language that they know when they are breaking a "rule" on purpose, because there are times when breaking the rules is actually the absolute best way to say something.

That's why you must read. It takes a long time to read enough to know when something is good or bad. It will take years, not months. Simply put, there is no shortcut to this.

TwilightForest

Being myself
@TwilightForest is right. Good writers are masters of the languages they write in.

There are two things that will help more than most:
  1. Read award-winning published works in English, written in English, NOT TRANSLATED TO ENGLISH.
  2. Read everything you write aloud. Slowly. Multiple times.
Some people might tell you grammar checkers help, but are sometimes unreliable. They are WRONG. Grammar checking programs only check whether what you write follows the standard rules of English communication. Professional writers must step far beyond this and have such mastery of the language that they know when they are breaking a "rule" on purpose, because there are times when breaking the rules is actually the absolute best way to say something.

That's why you must read. It takes a long time to read enough to know when something is good or bad. It will take years, not months. Simply put, there is no shortcut to this.
I agree with what you said about breaking the 'rule'. It can only be done only when you have mastered the language and the ability to break rules is the first step towards establishing your unique style of writing.

ars

trash bin
Thank you for all the advice! I'll make sure to put all of them into use! :blob_salute:
Hey! I just read through some of your story to gauge where you're at. I agree heavily with TwilightForest and S.D.Mills' advice - reading well-written works will help your brain absorb the ways that good writers string their words together, and writing in your native language (whatever it may be, English or otherwise) will help you understand the rhythm and style which works best for you.

The more you expose yourself to proper grammar, the more familiar you'll be with it. Once the rules have unconsciously formed in your head, you'll be able to read a story with bad grammar and feel that 'this sounds wrong'. Naturally, you'll also be able to correct and edit your own writing, making what you write easy and understandable to read.

I've looked over the first paragraph of your story, A Low-Key Winner's Life, to mark it with some notes on grammar. These are common mistakes to make, and they aren't too big of a deal, but your writing will sound much smoother when you correct these in your future chapters :blob_okay: My recommendation is to not worry about this for now - just keep writing, keep making more chapters and more stories, and when you feel that your writing skill has gotten better, you can go back and polish everything you want to make sparkle.

Jade S. Mal was what you would call a rich second generation. She had more money than most the people in the world thanks to her parents. Jade was a bit different from most cocky rich second generations thanks to her parents making time for her. Jade grew up to be a perspective but an awkward kid with a questionable sense of humor sometimes and was pretty sarcastic when she wants to be. She was also lucky enough to be blessed with good genes from her parents who are pretty good-looking themselves. Jade is turning 15 this year and is starting her first year of high school in Scribble High School in a month.

Jade grew up to be a perspective but an awkward kid with a questionable sense of humor sometimes and was pretty sarcastic when she wants to be.
Rather than "perspective", the word you meant to use is "introspective" (they sound similar so it's easy to confuse them)
was pretty sarcastic when she wants to be. | The verb tense slipped here - should be consistently in past tense: "[Jade] was pretty sarcastic when she wanted to be."

She was also lucky enough to be blessed with good genes from her parents who are pretty good-looking themselves.
Same here: "...her parents, who were pretty good-looking themselves."

Jade is turning 15 this year and is starting her first year of high school in Scribble High School in a month.
Tense correction: "Jade was turning 15 this year and was starting her first year of high school at Scribble High School in a month."

In other words, it seems that the main thing you should watch out for is to just keep your verb tenses consistent! Once you choose past tense or present tense, try to stick with it. Also, whenever you write about something that hasn't happened yet, you will need to write to express a future in the past tense.
For example, rather than, "Jade looked at him and asked if he will help her," you would write, "Jade looked at him and asked if he would help her."

I hope this helps and isn't too troublesome. Good luck! But most importantly, have fun with your writing!

OddJamm

~Sweet Preservatives~
Hey! I just read through some of your story to gauge where you're at. I agree heavily with TwilightForest and S.D.Mills' advice - reading well-written works will help your brain absorb the ways that good writers string their words together, and writing in your native language (whatever it may be, English or otherwise) will help you understand the rhythm and style which works best for you.

The more you expose yourself to proper grammar, the more familiar you'll be with it. Once the rules have unconsciously formed in your head, you'll be able to read a story with bad grammar and feel that 'this sounds wrong'. Naturally, you'll also be able to correct and edit your own writing, making what you write easy and understandable to read.

I've looked over the first paragraph of your story, A Low-Key Winner's Life, to mark it with some notes on grammar. These are common mistakes to make, and they aren't too big of a deal, but your writing will sound much smoother when you correct these in your future chapters :blob_okay: My recommendation is to not worry about this for now - just keep writing, keep making more chapters and more stories, and when you feel that your writing skill has gotten better, you can go back and polish everything you want to make sparkle.

Jade grew up to be a perspective but an awkward kid with a questionable sense of humor sometimes and was pretty sarcastic when she wants to be.
Rather than "perspective", the word you meant to use is "introspective" (they sound similar so it's easy to confuse them)
was pretty sarcastic when she wants to be. | The verb tense slipped here - should be consistently in past tense: "[Jade] was pretty sarcastic when she wanted to be."

She was also lucky enough to be blessed with good genes from her parents who are pretty good-looking themselves.

Jade is turning 15 this year and is starting her first year of high school in Scribble High School in a month.
Tense correction: "Jade was turning 15 this year and was starting her first year of high school at Scribble High School in a month."

In other words, it seems that the main thing you should watch out for is to just keep your verb tenses consistent! Once you choose past tense or present tense, try to stick with it. Also, whenever you write about something that hasn't happened yet, you will need to write to express a future in the past tense.
For example, rather than, "Jade looked at him and asked if he will help her," you would write, "Jade looked at him and asked if he would help her."

I hope this helps and isn't too troublesome. Good luck! But most importantly, have fun with your writing!
Thank you so much! With all your help I'm fired up to improve! :blob_okay::blob_salute::blob_happy: Time to hit the books!

TwilightForest

Being myself

Well written, friend!

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Read award-winning published works in English, written in English, NOT TRANSLATED TO ENGLISH.
I second this. The more original English works you read, the better. If you're aiming for YA, read Young Adult novels. If you want YA fantasy, go for the same genre. The reason why I say that is so that you can see how they do it. I don't know with others but I have the tendency to unconsciously copy the style of what I recently read. It must be because it's currently the 'voice' that I hear in my head and haven't gotten rid of yet.