Greek mythology

kokiboki

Is it okay to use a character in Greek mythology in story?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I do it all the time with various mythologies. Percy Jackson does it all the time. It should be fine for you to do it.

pelpelen

Of course it is.
But i think using other mythologies would be more interesting since greek mythos is just zeus fucking mating with everything that walks and talks
These would be much better:
Norse
Chinese
Japanese
South american
Bablyonian
And this may be me being biased because it's my ancestors' but tengrism

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Yes, though if you use mythological figures from a people that was/is oppressed, it's important to do so respectfully and to seek out a person from that belief system to make sure you are portraying them fairly.

judojimmy

It depends if you care what the trolls will think. If you do make up a random name and use them anyway. Otherwise, let the tears collect in a cup and sacrifice them to said god.

LORD_SHAXX

GREEK
Screenshot_20220903_004942.jpg

Armored99

Harem-phobic
No, its plagiarism.

When the Athenians hold their yearly vote they'll chose you to be the one exiled for ten years.

Shomin

The Greco-Roman theme is pretty much over-saturated and many dislike the trope.
Sad... that's one main reason what I mainly wrote unable to gain much traction due to the theme.
Use it if you seriously love it. Else, it won't help you much.
:confused:

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
It is okay but be careful about random copyright strikes. Zeus might be a horny god, but he is a horny god with powerful lightning.

Overlord

Of course it is.
But i think using other mythologies would be more interesting since greek mythos is just zeus fucking mating with everything that walks and talks
These would be much better:
Norse
Chinese
Japanese
South american
Bablyonian
And this may be me being biased because it's my ancestors' but tengrism
You are so wrong about greek mythology, there is so much more to it than just zeus fucking women. Greek mythology is one of the best out there but probably you haven't searched about it too much. There is the titanomachy, gigantomachy, medusa, perseus, theseus, the argonauts, cyclops, and so much more stuff out there. Not to mention stories like odyssey that have some real stuff mixed in a mythology setting that make such a good story that rivals modern fantasy settings

SailusGebel

You are so wrong about greek mythology, there is so much more to it than just zeus fucking women. Greek mythology is one of the best out there but probably you haven't searched about it too much. There is the titanomachy, gigantomachy, medusa, perseus, theseus, the argonauts, cyclops, and so much more stuff out there. Not to mention stories like odyssey that have some real stuff mixed in a mythology setting that make such a good story that rivals modern fantasy settings
But it is overused. Just like Japanese, Norse, and to a lesser extent, Chinese.