Harem or No Harem Team?

ChaosGodOfJashin

The Chaos God of The Towers
Harem is a genre of anime where the protagonist has multiple heroines as his lovers. Harem MC is mainly male while the counterpart is Reverse Harem. What do you guys think about it?
This is gonna cause some controversy so please no fighting. This is just for people's opinion.

Ritz

I think you posted this twice so you should delete one of them.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
I am more of the "no romance since no one seems to be able to write it good and why do you need it anyway, where is aromantic representation in the written media" team, but since no such choice was given, I'll go with no harem one
How can I delete one of 'em. Please give me a tutorial O' Great One's.
Report, some mod will take care of that for you

ChaosGodOfJashin

The Chaos God of The Towers
I am more of the "no romance since no one seems to be able to write it good and why do you need it anyway, where is aromantic representation in the written media" team, but since no such choice was given, I'll go with no harem one

Report, some mod will take care of that for you
Hmm I guess thats pretty valid. Nowadays romance is kinda weird in novel like adventure and action sometimes.

Also thank you for the tutorial:)

D

Deleted member 54065

Depends on the story I'm writing. Got a story where my MC is in monogamous relationship. Also, I have a story where he gets a harem, but has to choose in the end. And one that he has an army of ladies, and harem ending too. And another one with platonic relations.

Last edited by a moderator:

SailusGebel

Back to the topic, it depends on the execution. If I had to choose between a good romance with no harem and a well-written harem, I would pick a no harem. However, I do like harems more than a single romance nowadays because finding a good romance without a harem is fucking hard. Also, I am tired of seeing all those childhood friends who are tomboys ending up heartbroken when they are clearly the best girls.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Harems are okay, never saw much point in distinguishing "Harem" from "Reverse-Harem" though. Like a harem should just be one person with more than two lovers, all of whom are only interested in the central person. And just adding reverse doesn't cover the broad range of possible combinations there. Male MC + multiple girls, Male MC + multiple guys, Male MC + mix of guys and gals, Female MC with those three set ups, ETC. . . Anyway, overall I like Polyamorous relationships more. That, can be more complicated, but is generally more interesting.

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
I agree with Gebel. It's all in the execution.

In the real world, actual harems exist with cultures that have male-dominated polygamy (hello, personality cult leaders and Mormons though some say they do and some say they don't do that anymore), unfortunately, almost all of them offer more interesting dynamics than what you'll see in a webnovel. The issue is often that the author either just isn't good at character writing, or they'll be cranking the wish fulfillment up so high that as soon as the harem members become an official part of the menagerie, all of their personality, drive, and ambitions will shrivel up because they can't be allowed to clash with or limit those of the MC. I know it's a harsh accusation, but a good study of this effect can be seen in Virgil Knightly's Monster Girl Sanctuary available right here.

Essentially, harem MCs have a nasty tendency to either become faceless projections or black hole sues, and the second breed is arguably worse because those stories may actually improve by simply removing the MC.

The easiest way to boost your harem novel is to make the relationships bumpy. Have the girls disagree or even fight with the MC and each other and don't resolve said fights in the same instance that they occur, and don't use "fake" points of conflict secretly designed to make your MC look good (he's just too loyal, so of course he yelled at her! ((this is actually the kind of logic real-life abusers use, and is an interesting angle for unreliable narrators or problems that the MC has but can't see, too bad many authors don't use it)) ).

If you really want to make your harem look like a living, breathing anime ecosystem, give your love interests personal desires that they can accomplish without the MC. Does the cute witch want to free the soul of her sister trapped inside a voodoo doll? Have her go through the shonen power cycle in a separate thread and let her achieve her goal in a way that makes her look awesome without the MC, even if she has to separate from the party for a few chapters. You could even have her lie to and use the MC despite her feelings for him/her and damage their relationship in a way that requires the two to actually do some adulting if they want to patch things up with each other, but don't make her regret saving her sister (the MC isn't the most important element in the story to her, the cute witches' sister is) and damn any reader that says the MC shouldn't have "kept" the cute witch, if love can make the women stupid and forgiving, it can make the MCs that way as well.

TLDR, just make your goddamn harem love interests actual characters instead of blowup dolls, it's not that hard!

Alternatively, if you want to show multiple females getting the Long Slchong McTong TM just have them roll around with no strings attached without the need for the MC to "lock down" their bedmates. People have casual sex all the time.

Varstark

For harem for me. I've never seen it done well and I refuse to believe it's because of the concept itself, but because main characters are rarely ever chads, and if they are, they aren't explored and developed enough.

No idea about reverse-harems. Never read 'em.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
since we're in the realm of fiction, why just suffice for the standard? Why not go for more?

Why one wife when you can have two?

Why female wife when you can have male wife?

Why suffice with marriage when you can blood bond?

Why stranger wife when you can have sister wife?

Why sister wife when you can have mom wife?

Why young wife when you can have old wife?

Why adult wife when you can have chi

LordJoyde

Harem should only be applicable in incestual situations. Otherwise, hell no lol.

Western42

....I may be Insane....
I've never actually made it to that point in my story but, in The Grand Revolution Of War, Nelsie does make herself a harem. However, each character is uniquely different and aren't pushovers. If you're going to make a harem team, make the team have diversity. The Seraphs don't really help Nelsie right away because they are in love with her.

What I mean is that they aren't truly a team yet and they are really fighting for their own personal goals. This is my suggestion but you should make it so that each team member is fighting for their own goal and not just because they all love the MC. You could even spice it up like I did with Baaluzikai, someone who, while she is in love with Nelsie, she is one of the antagonists, plotting to cause a massive bloody war.

Either way, the choice is up to you. Good luck!

RootBeerBert

Was definitely popular growing up
I had to choose I’d pick no harem because of how hard it is to do it well, some authors write monogamous relationships well, and a way smaller amount can write harems well. In my opinion to write a good harem the relationship between the girls and the Mc have to make sense, like not the Mc saving them and the girls being in love with him afterwards. All girls need to be relevant to the story so all their developments with the Mc don't feel like a waste. Finally they need to likable in some way and diverse so it doesn’t feel like you’re seeing the same character, also pleasing the Mc isn’t the only thing they do in their lives.

SailusGebel

I agree with Gebel. It's all in the execution.

In the real world, actual harems exist with cultures that have male-dominated polygamy (hello, personality cult leaders and Mormons though some say they do and some say they don't do that anymore), unfortunately, almost all of them offer more interesting dynamics than what you'll see in a webnovel. The issue is often that the author either just isn't good at character writing, or they'll be cranking the wish fulfillment up so high that as soon as the harem members become an official part of the menagerie, all of their personality, drive, and ambitions will shrivel up because they can't be allowed to clash with or limit those of the MC. I know it's a harsh accusation, but a good study of this effect can be seen in Virgil Knightly's Monster Girl Sanctuary available right here.

Essentially, harem MCs have a nasty tendency to either become faceless projections or black hole sues, and the second breed is arguably worse because those stories may actually improve by simply removing the MC.

The easiest way to boost your harem novel is to make the relationships bumpy. Have the girls disagree or even fight with the MC and each other and don't resolve said fights in the same instance that they occur, and don't use "fake" points of conflict secretly designed to make your MC look good (he's just too loyal, so of course he yelled at her! ((this is actually the kind of logic real-life abusers use, and is an interesting angle for unreliable narrators or problems that the MC has but can't see, too bad many authors don't use it)) ).

If you really want to make your harem look like a living, breathing anime ecosystem, give your love interests personal desires that they can accomplish without the MC. Does the cute witch want to free the soul of her sister trapped inside a voodoo doll? Have her go through the shonen power cycle in a separate thread and let her achieve her goal in a way that makes her look awesome without the MC, even if she has to separate from the party for a few chapters. You could even have her lie to and use the MC despite her feelings for him/her and damage their relationship in a way that requires the two to actually do some adulting if they want to patch things up with each other, but don't make her regret saving her sister (the MC isn't the most important element in the story to her, the cute witches' sister is) and damn any reader that says the MC shouldn't have "kept" the cute witch, if love can make the women stupid and forgiving, it can make the MCs that way as well.

TLDR, just make your goddamn harem love interests actual characters instead of blowup dolls, it's not that hard!

Alternatively, if you want to show multiple females getting the Long Slchong McTong TM just have them roll around with no strings attached without the need for the MC to "lock down" their bedmates. People have casual sex all the time.
You forgot to mention one thing that can make harems interesting and even eligible in certain scenarios. A huge factor that harem authors rarely use is the mortality rate of children and infants. In some settings, the mortality is very high.

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
I had to choose I’d pick no harem because of how hard it is to do it well, some authors write monogamous relationships well, and a way smaller amount can write harems well. In my opinion to write a good harem the relationship between the girls and the Mc have to make sense, like not the Mc saving them and the girls being in love with him afterwards. All girls need to be relevant to the story so all their developments with the Mc don't feel like a waste. Finally they need to likable in some way and diverse so it doesn’t feel like you’re seeing the same character, also pleasing the Mc isn’t the only thing they do in their lives.

This is perhaps one of my biggest complaints about the genre as a whole, but also one of the most common things to happen. A lot of the time the so-called "chad" protags will be measured not by how great they are, but by how many women they drown in and how great the narrative
says they are, regardless of actual evidence.

EternalSunset0

I don't have any strong opinions. I ordinarily would have said yes to the question, but then I realize I just like the disproportionate female:male ratio casts and not the actual "getting into a relationship" aspect of it. I do like watching/reading them but a lot of my favorite "harems" are apparently not "true" harems, so it kinda made me second guess the answer.

Something like Oregairu/Snafu, is it a harem? How about Index, where Touma doesn't show any romantic interest but has like 4 to 5 girl companions/battle partners over the course of several arcs? Same applies to Mahouka. SAO where everyone wants Kirito's dick but he only really sees Asuna as his love interest? Bunny Girl Senpai? Shield Hero? Accel World? Fate Stay Night if we're to take a look at one route at a time?

Apparently, those shows are "not harems" as people have told me, so I guess with the "actual" harem aspect of a protag being in an active relationship with all of them at once, I don't have any strong attachment to.

So it's either standards of the definition have changed or I'm just an idiot when looking at shows haha. Probably a mix of both.

Last edited:

Topgun1908

Harem is a genre of anime where the protagonist has multiple heroines as his lovers. Harem MC is mainly male while the counterpart is Reverse Harem. What do you guys think about it?
This is gonna cause some controversy so please no fighting. This is just for people's opinion.
Gay and Bisexual harem is superior.