Has anyone at all been able to avoid procastination (who used to procastinate alot)

Have you been able to change yourself avoid procastination and gain mastery over anything

• yes

• no

• 16 year old

• 17 year old

• 18 year old

• 19 year old

• 20 year old

• 21 year old

• 22 year old

• 23 year old

• 24 year old

• 25 year old

• 26 year old

• 27 year old

• 28 year old

• 29 year old

• 30 year old

• shit i am too old

Results are only viewable after voting.

someguysomeone

One of the dime a dozen undead
Well when I was in middle school I didn’t get a single award by graduation. I’d become a hardcore gamer, playing COD4 through MW2 all day everyday and I associated with what people would consider the bad apples(smoked, did drugs, cock slapped you accross the face if you fell asleep first when they slept over, etc.). I personally never did any of that stuff though. I also watched all the anime I could find online at the time.

Anyway skip to high school and I graduated top of my class getting a bunch of meaningless scholarships and awards. The big difference between middle school and high school were the people around me. They were all try hards in academics compared to the friends I was around before who all went to a different high school. Anyway, I also watched Baka to Test Shoukanjuu and started treating academics like a game.

Effectively to overcome procrastination I used the strength of my two most time consuming hobbies at the time to rise to the very top without even realizing it. The environment also played a big role. It was either get your shit together or lose the game and be left behind in the dust.
for some reason i thought you were about to say " i got lot of meaningless rewards and lost my friends and got depressed .it's not worth it" IDK why i felt that.
well when i meant accomplishment i did not mean medals. I meant shit like i convinced some swedish guy to stop selling and using drugs and get therapy. and then i called child helpline on some sucidal kid after asking his permission of course(IDK if it was helpful or not his condition got shit later. but i still think it's previously better than if i had did nothing)
I also studied a little special realtivity. (only very little and basic stuff you can learn in 2 classes in college)
I also understood what they mean by "science is just a model" and did some philosphy.

PhillisCreziles

﹤Once a Potato﹥
This is a long post, but if you are really really really really struggling with procrastination and want to get out of it, please continue reading! :blob_evil_two:

I, potato man, perceive procrastination as a real life embodiment of a paradox. And like a paradox, it is complicated, confusing, and seemingly has no solution in sight. :blob_sir:

:sweating_profusely: I understand that you perhaps already know how procrastination feels, but this might give you a different perspective for why any person would be stuck in a state of procrastination.
When a person begins procrastinating they will immediately lose all forms and sources of motivation. Now to in order to do just about anything in life (be it physically, or mentally), you must have the motivation in order to do it. So if you don't have any motivation due to procrastination, how do you get yourself out of procrastination which requires motivation?

:blob_neutral:Now a little info about me, I used to procrastinate a lot as a indie game programmer mainly because I had too many self doubts (and I think all sources of laziness, and procrastination comes from having too much self doubt). The likes of, "Do you think you can even program something like that in?" or "That's impossible to program in," or "Your code won't be efficient" were most of the doubts I had at the time.
:blob_dizzy:Sometimes I even doubted my self doubts (sorry if that sounded confusing). For example, "What if my self doubts are true?" or "What if I waste my time by doubting my self doubts?" or "What if by doing this I begin to doubt myself even more?"
:blob_hmm_two:I eventually overcame my self doubts by simply giving myself time to think and jotting down thoughts(how much time you should give yourself may vary from person to person, which is a very normal thing).

Here are 3 things I came to realize in order to overcome self doubts (aka sources of procrastination): :blob_reach:
1) Having self doubts is totally okay (it's what makes you human), but when you start having too many self doubts, that is when it can be bothersome or even harmful (this is also when you start procrastinating).
Depending on the person, they might be able to handle a lot of self doubt, or they might not. But I don't mean that any person's ability to handle self doubt is permanent. You can actually improve your ability with how much self doubt you can handle.​
2) Procrastination (caused by self doubt) is not something that you can snap out of, nor is it something that naturally goes away by doing absolutely nothing. Instead, it's something that needs to be dealt with in a 'progressive manner,' and it will take time varying from person to person.
What I mean by a 'progressive manner' is that your self doubts (your source of procrastination) are very individual, as you will not find one exact solution to solve multiple or all your self doubts, although you will find multiple similar solutions to solve each individual self doubt.​
Now dealing with procrastination will take time (somewhere ranging from a week to a year or two) because as said before, dealing with anything takes motivation. I know this may contradict my point here, but a clean source of motivation actually comes from boredom, which mainly comes from doing nothing. The mistake that all procrastinators (including me) make from here is that they choose to do nothing to deal with their self doubts even after gathering enough motivation. This is mainly the reason why procrastinators are stuck in their state, and it's quite understandable as it is not a noticeable mistake that any procrastinator makes on their first procrastination experience.​
3) Never deal with procrastination using self-hate
There are some people out there who have done this (also including me), and let me just say, it never works. Depending on the situation you are in, you might even get yourself into depression.

Last edited:

someguysomeone

This is a long post, but if you are really really really really struggling with procrastination and want to get out of it, please continue reading! :blob_evil_two:

I, potato man, perceive procrastination as a real life embodiment of a paradox. And like a paradox, it is complicated, confusing, and seeming has no solution in sight. :blob_sir:

:sweating_profusely: I understand that you perhaps already know how procrastination feels, but this might give you a different perspective for why any person would be stuck in a state of procrastination.
When a person begins procrastinating they will immediately lose all forms and sources of motivation. Now to in order to do just about anything in life (be it physically, or mentally), you must have the motivation in order to do it. So if you don't have any motivation due to procrastination, how do you get yourself out of procrastination which requires motivation?

:blob_neutral:Now a little info about me, I used to procrastinate a lot as a indie game programmer mainly because I had too many self doubts (and I think all sources of laziness, and procrastination comes from having too much self doubt). The likes of, "Do you think you can even program something like that in?" or "That's impossible to program in," or "Your code won't be efficient" were most of the doubts I had at the time.
:blob_dizzy:Sometimes I even doubted my self doubts (sorry if that sounded confusing). For example, "What if my self doubts are true?" or "What if I waste my time by doubting my self doubts?" or "What if by doing this I begin to doubt myself even more?"
:blob_hmm_two:I eventually overcame my self doubts by simply giving myself time to think and jotting down thoughts(how much time you should give yourself may vary from person to person, which is a very normal thing).

Here are 3 things I came to realize in order to overcome self doubts (aka sources of procrastination): :blob_reach:
1) Having self doubts is totally okay (it's what makes you human), but when you start having too many self doubts, that is when it can be bothersome or even harmful (this is also when you start procrastinating).
Depending on the person, they might be able to handle a lot of self doubt, or they might not. But I don't mean that any person's ability to handle self doubt is permanent. You can actually improve your ability with how much self doubt you can handle.​
2) Procrastination (caused by self doubt) is not something that you can snap out of, nor is it something that naturally goes away by doing absolutely nothing. Instead, it's something that needs to be dealt with in a 'progressive manner,' and it will take time varying from person to person.
What I mean by a 'progressive manner' is that your self doubts (your source of procrastination) are very individual, as you will not find one exact solution to solve multiple or all your self doubts, although you will find multiple similar solutions to solve each individual self doubt.​
Now dealing with procrastination will take time (somewhere ranging from a week to a year or two) because as said before, dealing with anything takes motivation. I know this may contradict my point here, but a clean source of motivation actually comes from boredom, which mainly comes from doing nothing. The mistake that all procrastinators (including me) make from here is that they choose to do nothing to deal with their self doubts even after gathering enough motivation. This is mainly the reason why procrastinators are stuck in their state, and it's quite understandable as it is not a noticeable mistake that any procrastinator makes on their first procrastination experience.​
3) Never deal with procrastination using self-hate
There are some people out there who have done this (also including me), and let me just say, it never works. Depending on the situation you are in, you might even get yourself into depression.
just knowing your self doubts are causing procrastination is not enough you need to deal with these self doubts.
and it may take a few weeks .
noted

Last edited:

someguysomeone

I think my procrastination is not just my habits but has to do with my outlook on life and life philosophy. What i believe in. It's not that i don't know what to do. It's actually taking that step once you open PC that is hard.
I mean you can avoid procrastination with a single step. but you just don't take it.

>
I need to analyze my thoughts. No i already tried that. I forget that.
Maybe it's too much about following instincts. Like i won't procrastinate when someone's life at the line but i procrastinate when my life is on the line.
It's weird. Ok maybe i need presence of mind.
You set up alarms and ignore them.

Study.
no
why
i don't want to.
isn't it harmful.
no it's not harmful it's only one hour i would study tommorow. How much difference a hour can make.
You have been doing it for 2 years,
but it's not like studying for this hour will change anything.
Rationally it's insignificant.
I think i would need to actually attach some kind of emotional value to it. Like how i don't go around a stabbing spree cause it's against my ideals.
It's about constructing a mental construct to control yourself. Procrastination doesn't change anything tangible.
and i have grown too rational and accepted the fact that my words have no value and i am fickle.
It's like commit a crime once you feel guilty do it for the billionth time and you just accept yourself.

So that's why people swear infront of god . it would be a sin and painful to there ideals and values to break it.

Procrastination isn't psychological it's about ideals.

If a person believes in something then he is pained if he violates it. You can never make me pray or reject the scientific method without sufficient proof. Cause they are against my ideals.

No no it goes like this.

I make a oath to something(it changes depending on what i think will work)
then i follow that oath a little.
Then because that oath was not specific and focused on results instead of the actual actions.
I end up procastinating.
Then i break that oath.
This leads me to despairing.
Now to get out of despair i remember things which would boost my ego.
Then i grow over confident and feel good for sometime.
Then i realize.
and then this cycle repeats.

I think this is the problem. I am making my oath result focused not action focuses. It's always solve these many questions till the end of the day.
Never sit on this chair for 10 hours a day. It doesn't matter if you solve questions or not.
Even if you get the result but don't sit on this chair . The oath is broken.

I think this is what mid life crisis are people see procrastination as a anathema to there values so it gets painful.

I think it's a deeper reason like i don't care (subconsciously) if i succeed or not. Like i rationally care but i don't care in a way my brain cares for morality.
No wait i do. that's why i despair.

I think to follow anything truthfully i need a certain amount of "respect" for it .
that's why apps don't work. I don't respect the app.
I don't respect my words or commitments i make.
They are just
"emotions and things my brain thought . as useful as shit" i think it's somehow related to absurdism and nihilism while what i considered closer to "truth" not something which is very useful in dealing with certain aspects of life. Though very useful in other aspects.

I think it's the attitude of .
Nothing of value has been said by anyone ever. Everyone and all of humanity is idiot. Some facts have been found.
But anything subjective has not been of value .
no not that. It's that it's a choice. and i don't choose those values.

I think there are things you care about instintictually but not care about in the real sense of the world.
As in there is a deeper level of care.
That's probably people mean by meaning.
Example I really care more about understanding and testing synchronicity than i care about getting in a good college.
I care about getting immortality even though it's impossible. What i won't give for it.
I care about my parents.
First one has been basically assumed impossible cause i spent most of my waking hours thinking about it.
Oh this reminds me of parents who write poetry but give up on it cause they have accepted it's impossible that there poetry is ever going to be
published.

the problem is when taking oaths ( i am not actually taking oaths it's metaphors for when i decide to change for any reason whatsoever.
usually it's different philosophical reasons. ) i swear about the end results instead of swearing about the actions.
I don't swear to study for hours a day and not touch anything. I swear to solve questions.

Can I even care. You can't consciously change your ideals especially if you know you are doing it to get work done.
ok new idea. Either nothing happens. Or something happens or i get super fucked.shit
ok in a moment of clarity . yeah that would be stupid. making yourself give a fuck about wrong thing can be way way wayyy worse than not giving any fucks at all and procrastinating. personal experience.
if I feel something I believe in which isn't fucking dangerous then I would use it.
it's purposefully vague so no one would understand cause it's private stuff. I am just writing it soo I will remember.
note

make goals
sit on table and don't open any app other than toppr or doubtbut.
don't pleasure yourself before working.
success doesn't matter at all. what matters is if you follow these habbits.

forcing meaning is kinda hard when you know it's just a excuse to fool yourself to work
eh having something which is possible and you can desire so much that.
"if I ever to die my corpse would keep moving to fulfill that desire"
sure feels nice
it's what makes you human
dude are we twins.
I literally use the same wording. in fact I used the same wording in my post on "is it all just a waste of time"
you don't happen to be a girl or femoboi.

Last edited:

mossplains

One thing that helps me is having deadlines. I procrastinate, then usually manage to get it done for the deadline. In order to avoid doing it at the last minute I'd have to set for myself an earlier deadline and somehow convince myself to believe in it, or break the tasks into smaller portions each with it's own deadline.

Alternatively what I'm exploring now is going to a specific place for a specific period of time every day to work on a specific task and doing what I can for that period with no deadline other than trying to get as much as I can done before this time period ends. So far it's going okay, but I haven't been doing it for long.

Dountmindme

You wot m8? You wanna go, huh? Come at me bro, y—
Use app to measure time and get in a habbit of stoping the stopwatch as soon as i get distracted. Got it.
Oh another idea. I can simply ask my parents for help. I won't procastinate if someone is staring over my shoulder. What a genius idea. I can't believe i never thought of this
I am still in highschool and have pretty good parents so that can be used. Like i thought of having like some small cerature to remind me. but i can simply ask my parents. Re Zero really does have great messages. Ask your parents for help
Extremely embarrassing but hey you gotta trade something to get something
That’s how I git homework done. If I was around a lot of ppl. Pressure always works for me.

I’m 19. I’ve been procrastinating on writing. However when it comes to art I’ve been doing good. I’ve got a schedule going. I draw at least 2hrs each day. Some days it can go for more. Basically I’ve been drawing like crazy this past month. I also work on multiple WIPs to art swap between them.

This is mostly so If I get bored of a drawing or get frustrated with I can work on something else. Basically procrastinating on that project I have with another drawing. Kek. I always seem to get the best ideas procrastinating too. Eventually I come back to the one I started with with a fresh mind.

I think I should apply this to writing and get at least a daily routine going for writing.