Have any of you heard of web novel? cause All i hear is RR and SH

Do you like web novel and have you heard of it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
Amazon can't. It's illegal.

What can happen is that some jerks steal someone's content and post it on Amazon as if it was their own. Recently, some jerks have been stealing stories from Royal Road, but they could just as easily take those stories from Scribble Hub.

They grab the story, give it a cheap cover, sometimes change the name, then post them on Amazon as if they're the author.

It's not too hard to get those stories removed, but it does require that someone notices.
why dont you guys just sue the people if you already filed a copyright claim cuse otherwise your under creative commons

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
if you haven't heard of web novel cause if not check it out

(P.S I WANT YOU TO READ MARVEL:A GODS JOURNEY) one of the best books I ever read I think

Cause no one likes webnovel? It is Qidian, which is China Literature. No one likes their practices and would rather avoid them. All from stealing translations to forcing authors into worse than slave labor contracts. For example, in some places they write up contracts where you have to finish your work by their time table, and if you don't, they will take over your work. And you have to refund them all the money they have ever paid you in the past plus fees. They can also force you to do book signing where you have to fly to their location of choice out of your own pocket. If you refuse, you have to hand over your work and refund all money you've ever owned.

Now their terms vary by geography, but they are simply biding their time seeing little by little what they can get away with. So yeah, nobody wants to talk about them cause no one likes them.

RavensDagger

why dont you guys just sue the people if you already filed a copyright claim cuse otherwise your under creative commons

Do you think they're using their real names? Giving away their real addresses?

You can't sue someone who doesn't exist.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
out of curiosity, when people sell on Amazon...do they use their real names for business purposes or does everyone go by a username? Like would I use my real name or would I use Discount_Blade?

Is it better to use real name regardless or since it's still technically a webnovel, its best to use username?

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

You are confusing copyright with patents. With patents, if you don't sue, you pretty much give up your patent. With copyright, there is no such thing. You as the author own all rights unless you give up such rights via licensing. Creative commons isn't even a legal thing, it is simply one of the many premade licenses you can distribute your work with.

A common mistake people make when they see an image that has no license think that it is automatically public domain(what you probably meant, not creative commons), nope, the opposite. Anything that has no license is restricted unless stated otherwise or used in "fair use".

Jaxxson

It's a convenient website to use to read light novels, but I'd avoid signing a contract with Web Novel.

Aaky

Amazon can't. It's illegal.

What can happen is that some jerks steal someone's content and post it on Amazon as if it was their own. Recently, some jerks have been stealing stories from Royal Road, but they could just as easily take those stories from Scribble Hub.

They grab the story, give it a cheap cover, sometimes change the name, then post them on Amazon as if they're the author.

It's not too hard to get those stories removed, but it does require that someone notices.
I am sorry you have run into so many rude, misinform and confrontational people here in the SH Forum. >.> the Discord server is more chill and most people avoid this forum for a reason

LimitBound

Saint
Yeah I've heard of it and also use it sometimes, but be warned because the amount of mindless harem fanfics with system and all that is a lot

RavensDagger

out of curiosity, when people sell on Amazon...do they use their real names for business purposes or does everyone go by a username? Like would I use my real name or would I use Discount_Blade?

Is it better to use real name regardless or since it's still technically a webnovel, its best to use username?

I use this name on Amazon. You do need to link to an actual bank account, but that can be spoofed too.

I am sorry you have run into so many rude, misinform and confrontational people here in the SH Forum. >.> the Discord server is more chill and most people avoid this forum for a reason

Seems like a pretty normal forum.

I imagine the Discord is bigger/better, like the RR one?

Got a link hanging around?

LostLibrarian

Actually, there are good reasons not to post anything there. Their EULA basically implies that by posting on their site, you're giving them your story's copyright.
That's actually news to me and I would ask for a quote on that.
One because EULA can't enforce such stuff hidden in the fineprint.
And two, because their ToS still reads:
"You retain copyright and any other proprietary rights that you may hold in the User Content that you post to the Service."

I know that you are basically selling your soul when you use their contract. But free publishing was rather fair the last time I looked into it...

RavensDagger

That's actually news to me and I would ask for a quote on that.
One because EULA can't enforce such stuff hidden in the fineprint.
And two, because their ToS still reads:
"You retain copyright and any other proprietary rights that you may hold in the User Content that you post to the Service."

I know that you are basically selling your soul when you use their contract. But free publishing was rather fair the last time I looked into it...
I could be confusing their EULA and their contract. I looked into them about 10 months back, decided to post here instead.

Sorry if I was misleading!

LostLibrarian

I could be confusing their EULA and their contract. I looked into them about 10 months back, decided to post here instead.
I mean it wouldn't surprise me if they tried if with their EULA, it just wouldn't hold up in court. But it's also a long time since I looked into it. Though I was interested, because I plan to at least publish my first volume over there to maybe get some readers... but I didn't pay attention for the last year or so ^^

But I know, that if you publish via contract they own your soul and can do whatever they want and you may get nothing in return. Which is why there are very rare cases where I would advise people to even think about the contract.

amazon should have their info right
Problem is you only get those via an actual police investigation. Which will most likely also be cross-country or even cross-continent investigations with different laws and all kind of problems. And given the low value of most works, the investigation will probably not even start in the first place...

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
wow ok my bad

but... why can amazon steal content then

(P.S Jeff bezos isn't richest person no more)
Amazon does not steal content. They couldn't care less about some nonames posting amateur stories on the net.

You do actually have to use your real name. You need to write your tax statements and declaration of consent. Those are legal documents which require your real name or it becomes invalid. If you don't want to use your real name, then you can use your company name if you're selling as a company, but that too needs to be legal.
amazon should have their info right
Amazon does have those info, but as a civilian, you do not have access to it. You need to first file the lawsuit before Amazon will release such information. Depending on the jurisdiction, you might also need to know the country the infringer lives and file a lawsuit in his country. That's why most people are just happy with DMCA.

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
Yeah I've heard of it and also use it sometimes, but be warned because the amount of mindless harem fanfics with system and all that is a l

what u mean