Have you ever tried writing backward before?

BlackKnightX

I’ve seen this technique of writing for quite sometime now, and now that I’ve seen it again, I still think it’s fascinating. Writing backward is usually used to plot the mystery novel or something like that. It’s technically deciding who the killer is, and what methods he uses first before start writing the first draft.

But I think it can do a lot more than planning mystery genre story. For example: if you want to write a story with intricate plot with lots and lots of twists and turns, then this method might be a good way to do it.

So, have you ever tried writing this way before?

LostLibrarian

I plan backwards and write forwards.

Every story I try has a theme and a certain message it wants to say. Which defines an ending I want to achieve. From there, I go backwards to define which events need to happen so that the ending makes sense (e.g. the MC needs to learn X or see someone he loves die). Those define the story beats I have to hit so that the flow of the story makes sense.

After that, I start from the beginning and write the story out and change things along the way whenever the story starts to flow in a different direction than planned.

Writing the entire thing backwards isn't really for me as you would need to either finish the entire webnovel before publishing the first chapter... no time for that...

Agentt

Thighs
I assume you mean literally, as contrast to the two replies above me, so yes, I have.

I have never used a mirror to do it properly tho, just free hand writing "ognam evol I" every once a while.

I also do sometimes try writing with my left hand as well

Scaver

I’ve seen this technique of writing for quite sometime now, and now that I’ve seen it again, I still think it’s fascinating. Writing backward is usually used to plot the mystery novel or something like that. It’s technically deciding who the killer is, and what methods he uses first before start writing the first draft.

But I think it can do a lot more than planning mystery genre story. For example: if you want to write a story with intricate plot with lots and lots of twists and turns, then this method might be a good way to do it.

One of my story idea have plot like that. So i guess i will try that when i start writing it....

D

Deleted member 54065

I tried but it spoiled the story for me it kind of took away the excitement.

Though I guess it's in my style rather than the technique itself. I'm more of a planner than a pantser.

BlackKnightX

I assume you mean literally, as contrast to the two replies above me, so yes, I have.

I have never used a mirror to do it properly tho, just free hand writing "ognam evol I" every once a while.

I also do sometimes try writing with my left hand as well
How about up and down as well?
I tried but it spoiled the story for me it kind of took away the excitement.

Though I guess it's in my style rather than the technique itself. I'm more of a planner than a pantser.
I mean writing backward is usually done by planners. It’s the way to plan or plot story, but do it backward so that you can add twist and turn that actually makes sense.

EternalSunset0

I do that a lot

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Had an ending. Too lazy to continue after writing the start.

It takes discipline I guess, but I like to see planners instead of pantsers after so much incomplete works floating in SH. I feel like getting blueballed at the failed potentials but I also don't want another Master of All shit (original writer quit and got someone else on helm).

Then I tried pantsing, only to have my imagination float forward to the end and it killed my pantser mood. Kudos to heavy wish fulfilment writers, I am not sarcastic, I genuinely am in awe from your works.

D

Deleted member 54065

I mean writing backward is usually done by planners. It’s the way to plan or plot story, but do it backward so that you can add twist and turn that actually makes sense.
Nah, I don't do that style. I tried it before and it didn't work. Well, mostly the 'middle details', but whenever I plan a story I already have the end in mind.

I always do this:

1). Start
2). End
3). Rising Tension
4). Falling Action
5). Climax

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackKnightX

Had an ending. Too lazy to continue after writing the start.

It takes discipline I guess, but I like to see planners instead of pantsers after so much incomplete works floating in SH. I feel like getting blueballed at the failed potentials but I also don't want another Master of All shit (original writer quit and got someone else on helm).

Then I tried pantsing, only to have my imagination float forward to the end and it killed my pantser mood. Kudos to heavy wish fulfilment writers, I am not sarcastic, I genuinely am in awe from your works.
Writing wish-fulfillment is super easy, actually; the hard part is making it cohesive and make sense.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I mean... Planning your ending is usually good to let you have a guideline for your story.

Like, no need to plan out the whole thing if you're not comfortable with writing carefully planned out stuff (I personally ain't fond of it at all), but the ending at the very least is nice, since you won't stray too far from where you want to get with your story if you already have the ending in mind.

So... I think that's just a basic tip that you can give to newbies instead of a special writing method?

Scaver

I tried writing backward like that once, but my characters became too knowledgeable and reached conclusions too fast. I couldn't pace it properly, so I haven't tried it again yet.
Idk but this made me laugh xD