Have You Realized...

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Remember when some people though that arbitrary rules declared universal brings stagnation and that therefor everything should be questionable?
Damn I sure want to know what people made of that philosophy.

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
Every. Single. Day.
received_608613710696200.jpeg

Daitengu

It's why I'm nihilistic. Nothing anyone does matters in the long run. So chill and try to enjoy the moment.

Horizon209

Yup but it doesn't really matter. The more important thing to me is the experience of living in this world, besides. I'm gonna be forgotten in a hundred years or so. Besides, that speck is my world where I experience new things and learn and grow.

Sp4de

It's why I'm nihilistic. Nothing anyone does matters in the long run. So chill and try to enjoy the moment.
Is that nihilism though? Being truly nihilistic almost always ends in a spiral of depression where you can't find meaning to anything and refuse to engage in life because it doesn't matter. But finding our own calling, even chilling and enjoying the moment, means that on some level we reject nihilism, creating our own meaning of life.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
And I'm the giant fluffy 9-tailed fox whose fur contains the minuscule dot of your universe within it. All of you in this thread, worship me!

Ellen_Dunkel

... How insignificant we are? The universe is a dot and we're a speck of dust living in it.
Nah there's nothing important about big stuff. Earth may be small compared to some of the stuff out there but those things are too far away to meaningfully affect people's lives. In other words: we aren't insignificant, but the vastness of space is

BlackKnightX

I often think about that, and it makes everything—problem or no problem—becomes insignificant.

Underload

Do you know there are over 6 billion people on our planet? How many of them have you met? How many people actually know you? Look around and you will really understand the insignificance of your life.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Silly.

Okay. You are so insignificant that what you do doesn't matter. Really? Hrmmm...

So what you do doesn't matter. So it has a value of zero. What you do doesn't matter. Does it? it's a value of zero? Really? What you do matters just as much as what I do? What the pope does? What a bum does? It is all equal? I think we can agree that what you do doesn't matter as much as the pope.

So the values are different. For the values to be different means they can't be zero so they aren't equal. So if they aren't zero, they do matter. No matter how little, your actions have SOME value.

So how much life is in the universe?

How many things in this universe can make a choice of VALUE?

Well, we have 7 billion people. So how many things that are NOT people? Nearly infinite number of things that cannot make a choice. So if we take your non-zero value choices, then multiple it by how rare the ability to make a non-zero choice is, we come to the inescapable conclusion that:

EVERY SINGLE CHOICE YOU MAKE IS OF NEAR INFINITE VALUE.

Do you see how stupid this point of view is? All you have to do is change the direction you look at it, and you change from being of nearly insignificant to being of nearly infinite value.

How about you stop being an ass and see your value for what it actual is and stop playing with infinity.
It doesn't exist anyways.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I prefer to think of the starfish story.

Dieter

the Writer
Even if there is no ultimate purpose to the cosmos, that doesn't actually invalidate any of our human pursuits. It's the wrong way to think about it, because we don't tie our life's hope to something as abstract as the ultimate purpose of the cosmos. Our lives are ruled by smaller scale and intimate human ambitions and perceptions, whos pursuit gives us positive emotions and so on and so on.
Is that nihilism though? Being truly nihilistic almost always ends in a spiral of depression where you can't find meaning to anything and refuse to engage in life because it doesn't matter. But finding our own calling, even chilling and enjoying the moment, means that on some level we reject nihilism, creating our own meaning of life.
Yes. Defining nihilism as the rejection of all beliefs, you would in turn feel no positive emotion and spiral into a depression. And the only reason why you wouldn't be depressed if you're nihilistic would be because you're not—because you still hold beliefs unconsciously that you aren't even aware of. That said, nihilism is also a movement, where the philosophy is justification and not its axiom.
So to answer your question, it's yes and no. It depends.

human

Yes, and?

Pretty much everything is a speck of dust compared to the universe.

Daitengu

It's as much nihilism as the majority of religious folk are religious.

Meaning like most, I don't take it to an extreme. Cause I like me some pron.

Where my nihilism comes into play is that I'll never be that 1% of 1% of 1% of 1% of 1% who is remembered by history, and I'm cool with that. It just means I'm not a great leader, villain, or leading a personality cult. I'm a background character and I'm fine with that. Humans will die out, the sun will blow up, and the stars die. "It" just doesn't matter, so people frontin and big egos can fick off with their micropenis energy.

I just live by one rule. Don't be a dick. And even that is difficult cause it's easy to accidentally break.