Writing Prompt He and I

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
Setting: You are darkness itself. Your little brother is the light. You hatched his cosmic egg in the palm of your hands in ancient time, and his birth woke you up from your waiting slumber.
Your relationship took a turn for the worse. You wanted to open the universe barrier to explore the outer worlds. Your brother was afraid you would attract hostile entities into your universe.
You two and your mortal subjects fought bitter battles for aeons until one day you caught his children. In exchange for the life of his children, he agreed with your deal. He would always side with you just as he used to before your conflict.
It was the first since time immemorable, you two were that close together.
You could tell he was trying to keep his bargain by being cordial with you.
You also didn’t want to do something he hated either. Five billion years and this was the beginning of your reunion.

Prompt: Describe your first day trying to reforge your relationship.

Last edited:

CrazyGrimReaper

The cosmos was infinite and so was the divide between us brothers. My gaze lingered on the twinkling stars in the endless expanse. The memories we shared had shone oh so bright, but over time, a star's light dims and so do our memories. It's quite strange how we view the world as I who am darkness can recall what is lost in the sea of black, but my brother can not. He can only see what his light shines on. It just so happens that his light always points to the future, and only when the stars die and light becomes darkness, only when the star becomes history, do I finally gain those memories.

I won't deny that it did worry me that my brother could only see a future in which my decision would be the downfall of what I've built. However, looking at our past, even with all of what our children accomplished, they could not avoid the ever-present end which my brother nor I could know when it comes.

Yet, we both knew, the only way to avoid it was to go beyond our tiny domain within this cosmos. To expand our border and our curiosity once more. I am tired of hiding in the past, I've learned enough from my mistakes. It's time I face reality and try to view the present, to move forward, instead of taking a step back.

My brother. My only light must also learn to stop gazing into the future. To take a step back and realize he had never moved an inch closer to the future he saw. Stagnant, we and our creations were, but stagnant, time was not.

In my palms lay the birth of a new era. In which I and my brother would stop hiding in the past and the future to finally face the present. The iridescent light of dreams and hope inside my palms felt heavy. For only I knew that this world held a gnawing darkness within, as the dreams of this world would never learn from the past and forsake everything to accomplish their greedy desires. Yet, it wasn't like my world was any better. The mortals living within my world held no dreams, held no hope, they survived merely to get by and regretted and hated the past as they are forced to face its consequences.

It was then that the black sea of the cosmos was washed with the light of stars. I who was once a giant to my brother now became his shadow. An inky stain on a clear white page, however, this stain threatened to spread further.

Our family days were over, and as much as he and I hate to admit it, things could never be the same. Each of us faces the other as Gods, and Gods only know how to make deals.