Heist stories

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I just noticed (or maybe didn't look hard enough) that there aren't really any heist stories.
I want stories where people plan their steps carefully (and not in the angsty paranoia kind of way). Think of Ocean's Eleven and stuff.

I mean sure, you have the hero party think about how to storm the demon lords lair, but most of the time it's either storm through the front or plot makes hole or "You break the wall, you kill everything behind and I run to the demon lord and kill him" and most of the time the hero does all of it and still has time to surprise the demon lord. Do not want.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
In my opinion that's largely due to the fact that the planning, unless it shows genius while also remaining easily digestible, has little appeal to big parts of WN audience.

That said I actually want to write one in that direction, without either of those skills.

ElijahRyne

Not that Lazy…
In my opinion that's largely due to the fact that the planning, unless it shows genius while also remaining easily digestible, has little appeal to big parts of WN audience.

That said I actually want to write one in that direction, without either of those skills.
Also, they tend to be shorter stories. Some readers tend to avoid those

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Also, they tend to be shorter stories. Some readers tend to avoid those
I think Bearly is refering to heist-like stories with extensive preparation for the big events rather than actual single heist stories.
Unless I misunderstood you.

ElijahRyne

Not that Lazy…
I think Bearly is refering to heist-like stories with extensive preparation for the big events rather than actual single heist stories.
Unless I misunderstood you.
Yeah, but they tend to rarely be more than 200 pages. There might be a sequel or two, but not to often.

There also are heist arcs in a larger unrelated series, but those are not usually the main plot of the series. At least to my knowledge.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
now you mentioned it, in most novel i read if the main character and co trying to invade a highly guarded fortress or a vault. they just mostly brute force everything 😅

the most popular one are from Harry Potter when they trying to steal from the Gringotts Vault, all they do just hire a former inside man and recklessly force they way in.

i guess that's how a novel directed for young adults, being too technical at explanation would perhaps making it a boring read.

Leyligne

So, like, the Dragon’s hoard is considered a suicide run, nobody even tries it. But this group, this group can pull off something! Twitchsnag the thief, known for artistry with tumblers, the mighty dwarf known only as “Ax”, the muscle of the group, the bard Celeste, working the kobolds from the inside, and [retch]”ithrewupaliddlebit”[heave] the Illithid, that’s the brains!

Huh, it kind of writes itself, and is highly predictable at this point. Plan starts well, snag, improvise, proceed, betrayal, defeat, improvise an escape then reveal the true heist was something entirely different nobody was paying attention to. The betrayer stole the fake, the real treasure was this magic scroll, we were really paid to paid to paint a giant target on the betrayer’s back... We all know all the ways this story goes now.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
So, like, the Dragon’s hoard is considered a suicide run, nobody even tries it. But this group, this group can pull off something! Twitchsnag the thief, known for artistry with tumblers, the mighty dwarf known only as “Ax”, the muscle of the group, the bard Celeste, working the kobolds from the inside, and [retch]”ithrewupaliddlebit”[heave] the Illithid, that’s the brains!

Huh, it kind of writes itself, and is highly predictable at this point. Plan starts well, snag, improvise, proceed, betrayal, defeat, improvise an escape then reveal the true heist was something entirely different nobody was paying attention to. The betrayer stole the fake, the real treasure was this magic scroll, we were really paid to paid to paint a giant target on the betrayer’s back... We all know all the ways this story goes now.
Everything you can imagine has already been done. But that's no reason not to do it. Let's be honest: The heroes journey, power fantasies or even comedy or drama. Already done.

And you're talking about overused tropes on this forum?

There's so much you can do to change up the formula. Let the heist fail, let the betrayal not happen, let the betrayer win, let the group just break in not stealing anything to force the McGuffin to be moved...

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
There's so much you can do to change up the formula. Let the heist fail, let the betrayal not happen, let the betrayer win, let the group just break in not stealing anything to force the McGuffin to be moved...
i mean, that's essentially ocean's twelve and ocean's thirteen.