Resolved Help, I can't update my profile(not the forum one, but the author one).

Lord_Drakonus

Connoisseur of Degeneracy
It always says "URL is invalid" and I don't know how to fix it.

Lord_Drakonus

Are you referring to this link: https://www.scribblehub.com/account/ ? If so, can you take a screenshot of the error?

Yes, here's the screenshot:
Screenshot_20200711-210840_Chrome.jpg

Lord_Drakonus

Are you entering a URL for the homepage field? If you are, which URL are you entering?
Nope, I wasn't entering any URL. I just pressed the "Save settings" button, and this error popped up. It happens every time I press "Save settings".

Tony

Staff member
Nope, I wasn't entering any URL. I just pressed the "Save settings" button, and this error popped up. It happens every time I press "Save settings".

Were you able to fix it? It seems like you were able to update your profile fine.

I couldn't recreate that bug no matter what I did. If you're still having that problem, can you tell me which browser you're using and which plugins you have installed?

Lord_Drakonus

Were you able to fix it? It seems like you were able to update your profile fine.

Really? It never updated for me. It always stayed the same since the first time I created my profile.

Were you talking about the forum profile? The forum profile works just fine, this one doesn't.

Lord_Drakonus

I couldn't recreate that bug no matter what I did. If you're still having that problem, can you tell me which browser you're using and which plugins you have installed?

I'm using android. My browser is Chrome, and I have no plugins installed. Maybe it's because I haven't updated Chrome for awhile?

Tony

Staff member
Really? It never updated for me. It always stayed the same since the first time I created my profile.

Were you talking about the forum profile? The forum profile works just fine, this one doesn't.

No, I'm talking about your SH profile: https://www.scribblehub.com/profile/26085/drakonus_/

It shows that it was updated with: "Just an amateur writer"

I'm using android. My browser is Chrome, and I have no plugins installed. Maybe it's because I haven't updated Chrome for awhile?

I'm not sure at this time. I'll have to test it out on my android device later to see if I can recreate the bug.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I know you said you didn't enter an URL for your homepage but I had pretty much the same error message when I updated my profile after I started the account. The reason was that I forgot the "http://" in front of the URL of my website. After adding that, it worked immediately.
Could it be that you accidentally entered something in the slot for the homepage that wasn't a properly formatted URL? Like, just a space or something might already cause the problem. (Or that you did enter a URL there and just misunderstood Tony's question? Because, like, you only have three open slots on your account info, right?)

If that's not it, then what I think you could also try before Tony figures out what's causing it would be to edit the profile one slot at a time. Like, fill in your location and save, then fill in your date of birth and save again. If it is a specific slot that's causing the problem (other than the homepage one), you might be able to get closer to a solution (or at least provide Tony with more information on when the error message appears).

Lord_Drakonus

I know you said you didn't enter an URL for your homepage but I had pretty much the same error message when I updated my profile after I started the account. The reason was that I forgot the "http://" in front of the URL of my website. After adding that, it worked immediately.
Could it be that you accidentally entered something in the slot for the homepage that wasn't a properly formatted URL? Like, just a space or something might already cause the problem. (Or that you did enter a URL there and just misunderstood Tony's question? Because, like, you only have three open slots on your account info, right?)

Nope, I did nothing to alter the homepage URL. And the way I enter my profile settings is through pressing the profile picture in the middle of the homepage screen. Then, I'd press account settings and it'll take me to it. Just the normal way.

Last edited:

Lord_Drakonus

If that's not it, then what I think you could also try before Tony figures out what's causing it would be to edit the profile one slot at a time. Like, fill in your location and save, then fill in your date of birth and save again. If it is a specific slot that's causing the problem (other than the homepage one), you might be able to get closer to a solution (or at least provide Tony with more information on when the error message appears).

Yeah, I've tried all of those things before I made this thread. None of them worked. Every time I save the settings, it always errors, no matter how small the change is.

Lord_Drakonus

Try to delete word inside of the home page box(usually your username).

I think I've figured out why it errored. My username contained an underscore. And that underscore probably fucked up the URL. After deleting the underscore in my name, it all works out fine. Kinda weird since it didn't have this problem the last time I edited my profile.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
And the way I enter my profile settings is through pressing the profile picture in the middle of the homepage screen. Then, I'd press account settings and it'll take me to it. Just the normal way.
lol This whole thing is a misunderstanding. Like, I (and I believe Tony as well) didn't mean the URL of the account settings page but the URL that you are inputting as the homepage on your profile. Like, your profile now lists "http://Drakonus" as the URL of your homepage which ... just ends up as an empty page since that's obviously not a website (just try clicking on it, you'll see what I mean). That slot is supposed to hold the URL of your homepage/website, right? (@Tony : I have seen several times that people somehow put their usernames into the slot for the homepage. That is not the intended purpose, right? Just in case I'm getting it totally wrong here ...)

In case this isn't understandable, let me try to make it clear with myself as an example: On SH, my username happens to be "yansusustories", now if I just put a "http://" before that, it leads nowhere and people who click on it will just open a new tab with an error message. I do happen to have a website with the URL "http://www.yansusustories.com" though. When I put that in the slot for homepage in the account settings, people can click on it and are directed to my actual website.
So, if I have my account setting like this:
Profile with website_account info.png

It'll look like this in the profile:
Profile with website.png

So IMO, if you do not have a website (or social media account you use instead of a website), the slot for hompage should be left empty since, well, you don't have one. Tony can correct me on this if I'm wrong though. It's just how I always understood it.

Maple_Mrch

I think I've figured out why it errored. My username contained an underscore. And that underscore probably fucked up the URL. After deleting the underscore in my name, it all works out fine. Kinda weird since it didn't have this problem the last time I edited my profile.
uh, I don't know about that. Last time when I edited my profile, I just added HTTP before the username and it works (also have an underscore). But it makes a link in my profile page which linked to a nonexistent website, so I delete it all, and it works too.

Lord_Drakonus

lol This whole thing is a misunderstanding. Like, I (and I believe Tony as well) didn't mean the URL of the account settings page but the URL that you are inputting as the homepage on your profile. Like, your profile now lists "http://Drakonus" as the URL of your homepage which ... just ends up as an empty page since that's obviously not a website (just try clicking on it, you'll see what I mean). That slot is supposed to hold the URL of your homepage/website, right? (@Tony : I have seen several times that people somehow put their usernames into the slot for the homepage. That is not the intended purpose, right? Just in case I'm getting it totally wrong here ...)

In case this isn't understandable, let me try to make it clear with myself as an example: On SH, my username happens to be "yansusustories", now if I just put a "http://" before that, it leads nowhere and people who click on it will just open a new tab with an error message. I do happen to have a website with the URL "http://www.yansusustories.com" though. When I put that in the slot for homepage in the account settings, people can click on it and are directed to my actual website.
So, if I have my account setting like this:
View attachment 3189
It'll look like this in the profile:
View attachment 3190

So IMO, if you do not have a website (or social media account you use instead of a website), the slot for hompage should be left empty since, well, you don't have one. Tony can correct me on this if I'm wrong though. It's just how I always understood it.

Yeah, that ones kind of a misunderstanding. But, thanks anyway for trying to help!