Help me with these reasoning

Ram5

"I mean, it's like we purposely being lead to here..." Alex frowned deeply, somewhat became agitated, "I just... couldn't shake the feeling..."

"Well, it was the trees that guided us here, so basically you suspicious of their behavior..." Momo shook her head, "Alex, the plant doesn't tell lies, they are not a being like animals, let alone us."

"A plant only knows of two things; consume and produce, whatever nutrient they could gain either from the water on the ground or in the treant's case, a creature's flesh, they processed them to become fruits, peanuts, nectars, and others. My ability to talk with them doesn't suddenly enable their intelligence to do any difficult feat, let alone a complex task such as lying."

Right, why human lie? Was it simply only a defense mechanism? Or we are afraid of telling the truth? Maybe we want to make someone happy? In any case, someone didn't lie because it was part of their character, but he or she did it while maintaining a complex reason to support it.

Even only a few animals could perform such a feat, and mostly either if their life in danger, or to get food.

Does the logic make sense? It's a world where magic exists tho...

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
"I mean, it's like we purposely being lead to here..." Alex frowned deeply, somewhat became agitated, "I just... couldn't shake the feeling..."

"Well, it was the trees that guided us here, so basically you suspicious of their behavior..." Momo shook her head, "Alex, the plant doesn't tell lies, they are not a being like animals, let alone us."

"A plant only knows of two things; consume and produce, whatever nutrient they could gain either from the water on the ground or in the treant's case, a creature's flesh, they processed them to become fruits, peanuts, nectars, and others. My ability to talk with them doesn't suddenly enable their intelligence to do any difficult feat, let alone a complex task such as lying."

Right, why human lie? Was it simply only a defense mechanism? Or we are afraid of telling the truth? Maybe we want to make someone happy? In any case, someone didn't lie because it was part of their character, but he or she did it while maintaining a complex reason to support it.

Even only a few animals could perform such a feat, and mostly either if their life in danger, or to get food.

Does the logic make sense? It's a world where magic exists tho...
So you attribute lying to higher thinking capabilities and seems to believe plants don't have such ability... the local ents and dryads would like to know your position.

Though jokes aside, I can only direct you to this site.

Basically, a watered down version just means that we lie to gain trust from others and for us to trust others. Basically a form of communication. The reasons why animals don't do that is because most of the times survival is key and no one has the bullshit hour to lie to their community and get everybody killed. For loner animals, the interactions between each other is just threats to shove potential predators off, thats it.

So for animals and plants to lie, it is mostly for their survival. For instance, if a threat suddenly pops up in their vicinity and they cannot relocate it, one way is to get someone or something to do the removal for them, in this case where the threat is extremely dangerous and anyone who tries to deal with it will probably die, would you kindly tell an adventurer about it and die on your own or hope that the adventurer has a brave and kind soul to help you out of your perils, or would you lie about having great riches ahead in order for them to definitely charge forward?

Last edited:

Ram5

So you attribute lying to higher thinking capabilities and seems to believe plants don't have such ability... the local ents and dryads would like to know your position.

Though jokes aside, I can only direct you to this site.

Basically, a watered down version just means that we lie to gain trust from others and for us to trust others. Basically a form of communication. The reasons why animals don't do that is because most of the times survival is key and no one has the bullshit hour to lie to their community and get everybody killed. For loner animals, the interactions between each other is just threats to shove potential predators off, thats it.

Thank you for the response... but I do want to point out that ents and dryads were not just a plan... Ents were a race (source; Lord of the Ring) and Dryad was a tree spirit, so they are capable of higher intelligent acts (at least at the same level of the human).

Thank you for the link, I think it supports my reasoning.

Few animals did lie, but most of them didn't do it because it simply not necessary.

Yorth

Swordman
Your world has magic so no one can prove you wrong. My only problem with that paragraph is how it forces your personal philosophy down the reader's throat. If it were me, I would have showed it through the characters' actions rather than a monologue.

Ram5

Your world has magic so no one can prove you wrong. My only problem with that paragraph is how it forces your personal philosophy down the reader's throat. If it were me, I would have showed it through the characters' actions rather than a monologue.
It's the character thought? how do I change this from telling to showing?

maybe what yorth meant, you need to show the actual proof that the character's conjecture is right, so it'd be convincing to the readers.

what i read so far, is just the opinions of the characters that's either right or wrong. but if something really happened, that cemented their opinion, and it's consistent, then it's more believable.

well that's roughly the gist.

Ram5

maybe what yorth meant, you need to show the actual proof that the character's conjecture is right, so it'd be convincing to the readers.

what i read so far, is just the opinions of the characters that's either right or wrong. but if something really happened, that cemented their opinion, and it's consistent, then it's more believable.

well that's roughly the gist.
Oh, thanks for the clarification.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Punctuation. Punctuation. Punctuation. :blob_reach: I can't judge whether it makes sense or not as your writing lack coherence in general. And using this kind of overly formal style doesn't exactly help the comprehensibility of your text.

Mirivonette

Wouldn't something like this work?:

Elves: stronger connection towards wind and water.

Dwarves: stronger connection towards fire and earth.

Elves and dwarves are in conflict with each other.
🤔

Ram5

Wouldn't something like this work?:

Elves: stronger connection towards wind and water.

Dwarves: stronger connection towards fire and earth.

Elves and dwarves are in conflict with each other.
🤔
I don't see a problem with it, but maybe a little bit complex reason will be more compelling...