Writing Help Regarding Trauma

LostinMovement

@Amae @Arexio already offered you great insights and there isn't much for me to add.

I don't know if this would help you but in my first year of college, I was sexually molested by a man in the subway. I haven't taken the subway for four years now. I learned to ride motorbikes instead. I can't stand men standing too close behind me. I have burnt the jeans I wore that day and I couldn't perform certain sexual positions with my ex-partners due to that 'accident'.

Every time, I think about what happened. I can't breath properly. I become sweaty and I feel dirty all of a sudden, like I have to shower or wash myself with water. I still maintain proper distance with male strangers when I'm walking down the streets or in public in general. I took therapy sessions for it but nothing changed much. Trauma is not something you can 'logically' get rid of. That's the thing about it. So keep that in mind when you write your MC.

PS : I wish 'sexual molestation' in pubic transport was as fun as Hentai makes it out to be.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
@Amae @Arexio already offered you great insights and there isn't much for me to add.

I don't know if this would help you but in my first year of college, I was sexually molested by a man in the subway. I haven't taken the subway for four years now. I learned to ride motorbikes instead. I can't stand men standing too close behind me. I have burnt the jeans I wore that day and I couldn't perform certain sexual positions with my ex-partners due to that 'accident'.

Every time, I think about what happened. I can't breath properly. I become sweaty and I feel dirty all of a sudden, like I have to shower or wash myself with water. I still maintain proper distance with male strangers when I'm walking down the streets or in public in general. I took therapy sessions for it but nothing changed much. Trauma is not something you can 'logically' get rid of. That's the thing about it. So keep that in mind when you write your MC.

PS : I wish 'sexual molestation' in pubic transport was as fun as Hentai makes it out to be.
*hugs* Ganbatte... I'm glad you at least found ways to work around it, even if you couldn't solve the issue...

Hopefully something like that never happens again! >.<

LostinMovement

*hugs* Ganbatte... I'm glad you at least found ways to work around it, even if you couldn't solve the issue...

Hopefully something like that never happens again! >.<

*hugs back*
That's thing about trauma, you work around it. It doesn't disappear and no therapist worth their name should ever tell you that they can 'cure' you. The most they can do is to help you live with whatever happened to you.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
*hugs back*
That's thing about trauma, you work around it. It doesn't disappear and no therapist worth their name should ever tell you that they can 'cure' you. The most they can do is to help you live with whatever happened to you.
That reminds me of my mother's death. The grief doesn't go anywhere. You just push it aside and prioritize something else. Can't look at a body in a coffin since I saw her in one.

LostinMovement

That reminds me of my mother's death. The grief doesn't go anywhere. You just push it aside and prioritize something else. Can't look at a body in a coffin since I saw her in one.

I'm sorry about your mother. May she rest in peace.
I guess , in a way, trauma makes u acutely aware of our fragility as human beings. This firsthand experience was the reason why I even contemplated the ordeal of exploring a traumatized MC. If I didn't have an inkling of it felt like, I wouldn't have undertaken such a mission.

Imagine what it is like for those who were raped and molested on a repeated basis. The first thing that comes to my mind is the Comfort Women of Korea, who were sexually assaulted on the clock by Japanese soldiers. An elderly lady ,who was taken at fourteen years old, spoke about the atrocities done to her. She also mentioned how she no longer can stomach food the way normal ppl do.
You might want to check her interview

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
I'm sorry about your mother. May she rest in peace.
I guess , in a way, trauma makes u acutely aware of our fragility as human beings. This firsthand experience was the reason why I even contemplated the ordeal of exploring a traumatized MC. If I didn't have an inkling of it felt like, I wouldn't have undertaken such a mission.

Imagine what it is like for those who were raped and molested on a repeated basis. The first thing that comes to my mind is the Comfort Women of Korea, who were sexually assaulted on the clock by Japanese soldiers. An elderly lady ,who was taken at fourteen years old, spoke about the atrocities done to her. She also mentioned how she no longer can stomach food the way normal ppl do.
You might want to check her interview
Yup, I've seen this already. We also had that in my country's history. It's quite infuriating that the Japanese government has washed their hands clean of this and are outright denying it ever happened despite the evidence and numerous testimonies from victims. What's even more terrible about the whole issue is that witnesses are now dwindling due to their old age and still no justice has been given.

LostinMovement

Yup, I've seen this already. We also had that in my country's history. It's quite infuriating that the Japanese government has washed their hands clean of this and are outright denying it ever happened despite the evidence and numerous testimonies from victims. What's even more terrible about the whole issue is that witnesses are now dwindling due to their old age and still no justice has been given.

I might sound jaded and overly pessimistic but there is no justice in this world. There weren't for these women and there weren't for the countryside girls of my country who were raped by French soldiers for years. The best that France did was an equivalent of "oops, sorry we did that." The Japanese are no different. Human history has gazillions of stories like this and nothing changes and these things continue to go on in certain parts of the world and no one gives a fuck anyway. Human Rights might moan about it, the UN might throw some couple of speeches about it and then what ? Can anyone compensate these women and men (in some cases) for their lost dignity as human beings ? I don't like to get political on SH so I won't talk anymore about this.

0xReki

Not sure if it helps you: It's trauma, but no drugs and abuse.

My memories are very hazy. It's the worst memory of my childhood. It was when I was in elementary school, 1st grade.

I still remember the day. I was supposed to bring a family we were friends with a meal my mother made. When I got there I got stopped by the police. They didn't let me in. I said I had an errand to do. Instead, they asked me where I lived. I answered. They told me to go home and tell my mom they got deported. She'd explain. I didn't know the word. Being a little child that's doesn't know what's going on I went home and told my mom what happened.

I was told we'll never see them again. The police took them away. I got nightmares for days. Those were the most miserable days. Fearing I might get taken by the police, leaving behind all my friends I made to be sent to place where even my parents don't want to go. My parents did try to assure me we weren't in danger of that happening to us. But I couldn't trust them. The six-year-old me could not trust his own parents!! The other family also said they'd be going nowhere. They phoned us the day before saying they are staying. But they were taken. After school I didn't want to go home, fearing the police might be waiting there…

Finally, my dad gave me his ID to bring to school I could go ask my teacher it that really means we are to stay. When I asked her she was very understanding. She even got some short stories for the next lesson for the class to read and discuss it. I've already forgotten what the stories were. I think it was something about friendship still existing even if you can't meet. I shared with the class what had recently happened. Some of the kids in class also knew people that had been deported. The class was very supportive. Now that I recall that memory the teacher sent me on some random errand and when I came back they were discussing something. My guess is my teacher told them about the problem I faced and she wanted the class to help me. Whatever she did, the class helped me through it and the nightmares stopped.

FortySixtyFour

Make an irrational decision in emotional response to tha trauma and then lean into it hard; double down if ya havta. Anyone refuting the logic of yer decision? Well, they jus' wouldn't understand, so don't listen to 'em. What would they know about it, right?

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
Person with PTSD here, so I felt like throwing in my two cents in this cases /'s are acting as ors.
  • Nightmares
  • Flash backs
  • Insomnia / Sleeping too much
  • Trouble paying attention / hyper attentiveness
  • Depression
  • Nervous ticks: scratching, eye twitching, nail biting, hair chewing, finger biting, fidgeting, etc.
  • Rapid Speech/ Slow Speech
  • Anxiety
  • Suicidal Thoughts
  • Imposed Isolation/ Clinginess
  • Lack of Motivation
  • Troubles of fitting back in with normal society
  • Survivor's guilt
  • Constant Doubt
  • Panic Attacks
  • Aggression/ Submissiveness
  • Disorganized/ Extremely organized -- the person will either lose all sense of order in their storage/ room or will have a compulsive need for everything to be organized. Can also just be OCD as a side effect.