Help wanted: Which story synopsis is better?

Which blurb is better?

Votes: 7 58.3%

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other (please leave a comment)

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

LinMeili

Hiya! Can I have some feedback about these novel blurbs? Which one would you be likely to click on?

Title: I’m Overpowered but I’ll Let the Hero Do His Thing While I Save the Last Boss

Synopsis 1 (I am currently using this):

Reborn to Rescue a Video Game World! After dying during a worldwide pandemic, nineteen-year-old college student Asteria was given a fresh start in the magical and futuristic world of a popular video game. Her mission: to protect mankind from a forgotten danger. However, shouldn’t the original main character of “Tales of Vesterland” be given his chance to shine? Now, armed with ALL the cheats, she’s decided to let the hero do his thing while she saves the last boss and gets rid of the real villain who’s been hiding behind the scenes. Join this OP adventurer in her hilarious candy-fueled quest to befriend the hero, save the villains, and kick ass!

He thinks he's hot stuff! Sariel has it all: looks, superhuman abilities, and a great fashion sense. Too bad that the process that gave him superpowers has a secret side effect...

Synopsis 2:

Reborn to Rescue a Video Game World! For Asteria, the world of a video game was more complicated than she ever imagined, and being a reincarnated adventurer with ALL the cheats was more challenging than she ever expected. Now, if she can just find some candy and stop the last boss from freaking out, she can survive anything, even a fallen goddess with mind control powers and… those pesky golden slimes! It’s one hilarious crisis after another for Asteria who must juggle the need to befriend the hero and rescue the villains. But now, the time has come to kick some ass! Join this OP adventurer in her hilarious candy-fueled quest to stalk the hero while saving the last boss.

Also starring: Sariel. He thought he had it all - looks, power, and a job he loves. But little does he know that his whole world is about to turned upside down by a little girl...

Agentt

Thighs
Well, it would be first, the second seems a bit...childish? Like not having links and switching. I do get it is for comedic effect but it was hard to go through it, fighting the urge to just skip it. Let me use my ultra poor writing skills to write one

New Mission, Rescue this Video Game World. Why, well, Asteria doesn't have much of a choice, dying and getting reborn really limits your options. Well, so she's in another world with op stats and crippling sugar addiction, living her life, befriending the true hero, a jerk who thinks he is hot stuff, and saving the villains. Sounds like smooth sailing, right? WRONG.
Unknown to others, there is a shadow lurking, the true villian, evil incarnate, vicious as the snake who exiled humanity from Eden and has even more kill count than the golden slime. What is the real purpose of Asteria's powers? Why her? What will be the consequences of such a broken character on the script of the game? Well, you won't find out anytime soon since Asteria would be too busy kicking some monster ass.

LinMeili

Well, it would be first, the second seems a bit...childish? Like not having links and switching. I do get it is for comedic effect but it was hard to go through it, fighting the urge to just skip it. Let me use my ultra poor writing skills to write one

New Mission, Rescue this Video Game World. Why, well, Asteria doesn't have much of a choice, dying and getting reborn really limits your options. Well, so she's in another world with op stats and crippling sugar addiction, living her life, befriending the true hero, a jerk who thinks he is hot stuff, and saving the villains. Sounds like smooth sailing, right? WRONG.
Unknown to others, there is a shadow lurking, the true villian, evil incarnate, vicious as the snake who exiled humanity from Eden and has even more kill count than the golden slime. What is the real purpose of Asteria's powers? Why her? What will be the consequences of such a broken character on the script of the game? Well, you won't find out anytime soon since Asteria would be too busy kicking some monster ass.
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I am using the first one right now. :coffee: I was just wondering if I should make it.... crazier.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

At first Ai-chan didn't want to agree with him, but he's right. Ai-chan actually skipped a good chunk of the second one. So the first one got Ai-chan's vote. Anyway, if you're looking for a synopsis suggestion, here's what Ai-chan comes up with:

"
Get reborn! After dying to a worldwide pandemic, Asteria, a 19 year old college student with no special skills was reincarnated into the magical and futuristic game world of Tales of Vesperland. With all the tricks, lore and exploits at her disposal, she aimed to protect mankind from a forgotten danger, the true demon lord! But what would the hero do if she took all the sweet, sweet boss loots?

Dive into the world of Tales of Vesperland, a world of magic and adventure, full of heroes, villains, kickassery and kissassery! Join the super duper powerful hero as she - no, not that hero, our hero - uhum! Join our super duper powerful hero as she saves the last boss, gets rid of the real villain and befriends the real hero fueled only by the power of candy!

Starring,
Asteria - The bitch who broke the game
Sariel - The hot shit who think he's awesome
Hero - Oh, you poor boy
Chilly McFlurry - Coming soon!

And many more!
"

Read this in the voice of Honest Trailer.

Agentt

Thighs
At first Ai-chan didn't want to agree with him, but he's right. Ai-chan actually skipped a good chunk of the second one. So the first one got Ai-chan's vote. Anyway, if you're looking for a synopsis suggestion, here's what Ai-chan comes up with:

"
Get reborn! After dying to a worldwide pandemic, Asteria, a 19 year old college student with no special skills was reincarnated into the magical and futuristic game world of Tales of Vesperland. With all the tricks, lore and exploits at her disposal, she aimed to protect mankind from a forgotten danger, the true demon lord! But what would the hero do if she took all the sweet, sweet boss loots?

Dive into the world of Tales of Vesperland, a world of magic and adventure, full of heroes, villains, kickassery and kissassery! Join the super duper powerful hero as she - no, not that hero, our hero - uhum! Join our super duper powerful hero as she saves the last boss, gets rid of the real villain and befriends the real hero fueled only by the power of candy!

Starring,
Asteria - The bitch who broke the game
Sariel - The hot shit who think he's awesome
Hero - Oh, you poor boy
Chilly McFlurry - Coming soon!

And many more!
"

Read this in the voice of Honest Trailer.
Honest trailer saying words like bitch and shit was not something I wanted to imagine, Ai-Chan.

D

Deleted member 45782

Hiya! Can I have some feedback about these novel blurbs? Which one would you be likely to click on?

Title: I’m Overpowered but I’ll Let the Hero Do His Thing While I Save the Last Boss

Synopsis 1 (I am currently using this):

Reborn to Rescue a Video Game World! After dying during a worldwide pandemic, nineteen-year-old college student Asteria was given a fresh start in the magical and futuristic world of a popular video game. Her mission: to protect mankind from a forgotten danger. However, shouldn’t the original main character of “Tales of Vesterland” be given his chance to shine? Now, armed with ALL the cheats, she’s decided to let the hero do his thing while she saves the last boss and gets rid of the real villain who’s been hiding behind the scenes. Join this OP adventurer in her hilarious candy-fueled quest to befriend the hero, save the villains, and kick ass!

He thinks he's hot stuff! Sariel has it all: looks, superhuman abilities, and a great fashion sense. Too bad that the process that gave him superpowers has a secret side effect...

Synopsis 2:

Reborn to Rescue a Video Game World! For Asteria, the world of a video game was more complicated than she ever imagined, and being a reincarnated adventurer with ALL the cheats was more challenging than she ever expected. Now, if she can just find some candy and stop the last boss from freaking out, she can survive anything, even a fallen goddess with mind control powers and… those pesky golden slimes! It’s one hilarious crisis after another for Asteria who must juggle the need to befriend the hero and rescue the villains. But now, the time has come to kick some ass! Join this OP adventurer in her hilarious candy-fueled quest to stalk the hero while saving the last boss.

Also starring: Sariel. He thought he had it all - looks, power, and a job he loves. But little does he know that his whole world is about to turned upside down by a little girl...
Synopsis 1. Its more casual writing style. Consistent writing tone style; more light-hearted throughout.

Synopsis 2 seems like it tries to make it sound more like a fantasy writing style I've seen some do, however it mixes in a bit more casual style writing I feel. Like epicness, but then it dips down to more light-heart casual tone in some areas. So the result doesn't come out as smooth...just my two cents thu im not sure if i explained it right.

Synopsis 1 seems better flow.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
I know this may sound irrelevant but I'll say what I want anyway.

Well, since a synopsis is a 500-800 word summary of your book that forms part of your agent submission pack. It should outline your plot in neutral non-salesy language and demonstrate a clear story arc. Every major plot twist, character, and any big turning point or climactic scene should get a mention.'

In fact, a synopsis is what you think it is. A 500-800 word long spoiler for your entire novel. Every major plot twist. Every major character. Any big turning point. Your big climactic scenes. They’re all there, briefly, succinctly, and (yes) a little drily narrated.

As I've seen, both have their own aesthetics that pleases the reader, however, the comparison between them is pretty stale. Anyway, both have a different approach of bringing a clear story arc yet doesn't seem to show any more spices that could bring even more interest in the reader. In short, they are both okay-ish, overall. However, since everyone really likes the idea of S1... I might as well just join in for fun! :blobrofl:

Use S1!

Ai-chan

I know this may sound irrelevant but I'll say what I want anyway.

Well, since a synopsis is a 500-800 word summary of your book that forms part of your agent submission pack. It should outline your plot in neutral non-salesy language and demonstrate a clear story arc. Every major plot twist, character, and any big turning point or climactic scene should get a mention.'

In fact, a synopsis is what you think it is. A 500-800 word long spoiler for your entire novel. Every major plot twist. Every major character. Any big turning point. Your big climactic scenes. They’re all there, briefly, succinctly, and (yes) a little drily narrated.

As I've seen, both have their own aesthetics that pleases the reader, however, the comparison between them is pretty stale. Anyway, both have a different approach of bringing a clear story arc yet doesn't seem to show any more spices that could bring even more interest in the reader. In short, they are both okay-ish, overall. However, since everyone really likes the idea of S1... I might as well just join in for fun! :blobrofl:

Use S1!
500 words is a lot of words, man. That's pretty much the maximum length of a James Patterson chapter. There is no such thing as an 800 word description for a novel that you publish yourself. 800 word is the average high school English short story composition. It is also an entire chapter of a standard children fiction. The long type of summary is what you send to publishers, because they don't want to bother reading your book. The one the OP is making is for what you write at the back of your book cover, not what you sent to publishers.

If you need to use 500-800 words in your novel description, you have done something very wrong. If someone taught you this, you should go back to that person and punch them in the face. Ai-chan is one of those who say "To each his own" and different people have different styles and methods, but this is the one thing that Ai-chan will say directly and without mincing words, that this is very wrong.

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!

Last edited:

Motsu

500 words is a lot of words, man. That's pretty much the maximum length of a James Patterson chapter. There is no such thing as an 800 word description for a novel that you publish yourself. 800 word is the average high school English short story composition. It is also an entire chapter of a standard children fiction. The long type of summary is what you send to publishers, because they don't want to bother reading your book. The one the OP is making is for what you write at the back of your book cover, not what you sent to publishers.

If you need to use 500-800 words in your novel description, you have done something very wrong. If someone taught you this, you should go back to that person and punch them in the face. Ai-chan is one of those who say "To each his own" and different people have different styles and methods, but this is the one thing that Ai-chan will say directly and without mincing words, that this is very wrong.

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!
Tsk, tsk, I don't think so, amateur. I work in a writing agency, and it's always professional work in there with all advanced information already in mind. Unlike you, you won't last long in the writing industry because you have your own intuition on how writing works in the entire globe. Trust me, I have done nothing wrong and I think you should punch yourself in your face. 500-800 is considered a short review for a synopsis and is a particular requirement for every whole novel. Even students know this!

First, how about instead of acting high and mighty. Try researching about it, Nōtarin-chan. Nobody wants to listen to someone who talks with mere conjecture. Oh, and why don't I tell you this too. Since I usually write and publish my work, I understand that a book or a novel is considered to have a 500-800 synopsis and you're right about one thing of it is also the average High School ESSC and an entire chapter of SCF (depends on the story really.)

Second, publishing houses pay advances to write talent identified by their editors or agents. The publisher receives manuscripts, polishes them, designs and prints them as books, and then pours money into advertising and sales promotion to generate maximum sales. They don't just read the synopsis because they don't want to bother reading a book. Or rather, that's what publishers do in my writing agency since they do it to generate profit in order to invest in new titles.

Lastly, I missed the part where the OP's problem is my problem.

My bad. Maybe, I'll start looking at your level and that's 150-200 words of synopsis and maybe I can agree that nobody has time for this. :)

Ai-chan

Tsk, tsk, I don't think so, amateur. I work in a writing agency, and it's always professional work in there with all advanced information already in mind. Unlike you, you won't last long in the writing industry because you have your own intuition on how writing works in the entire globe. Trust me, I have done nothing wrong and I think you should punch yourself in your face. 500-800 is considered a short review for a synopsis and is a particular requirement for every whole novel. Even students know this!

First, how about instead of acting high and mighty. Try researching about it, Nōtarin-chan. Nobody wants to listen to someone who talks with mere conjecture. Oh, and why don't I tell you this too. Since I usually write and publish my work, I understand that a book or a novel is considered to have a 500-800 synopsis and you're right about one thing of it is also the average High School ESSC and an entire chapter of SCF (depends on the story really.)

Second, publishing houses pay advances to write talent identified by their editors or agents. The publisher receives manuscripts, polishes them, designs and prints them as books, and then pours money into advertising and sales promotion to generate maximum sales. They don't just read the synopsis because they don't want to bother reading a book. Or rather, that's what publishers do in my writing agency since they do it to generate profit in order to invest in new titles.

Lastly, I missed the part where the OP's problem is my problem.

My bad. Maybe, I'll start looking at your level and that's 150-200 words of synopsis and maybe I can agree that nobody has time for this. :)
Perhaps you have a difficulty with reading comprehension. Ai-chan finds it highly unlikely that a 'professional' in a writing agency such as your great self would mistake what the OP was actually talking about. Ai-chan met several literary agents in the past and they all knew the terms Ai-chan was talking about despite misusing the terms. But in case you do misunderstand, allow Ai-chan to say this in the clearest and most concise way possible.

The OP meant the book description. That is, the novel description. The OP was talking about the 'blurb' at the back of the book you would buy at a bookstore. In some non-native English countries, a synopsis refers to this short blurb. Ai-chan doesn't know why this became the case, but somewhere in the past, this became the definition of a synopsis in our countries. If the OP came from such countries, a synopsis and a novel description would mean the exact same thing. Where Ai-chan is from, while a synopsis would also refer to the summary, most people would just call that a story summary.

Instead of being a know-it-all and jumping straight to insulting people, how about understanding the context of the question first?

It would greatly help in your line of work. Also, don't be toxic, it might've helped you appear strong in futaba, but we're not futaba. If you think Ai-chan doesn't know what notarin means, you're sorely mistaken. Just because you insult in Japanese, doesn't make it okay. We don't need your toxicity here.

Last edited:

Spica66

I think the word synopsis in SH is confusing. Traditionally, synopsis is at least 500 words long, but in web novel it's a blurb. A blurb is usually less than 150 words.

In SH, we're referring to a blurb, not an actual/traditional synopsis.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

Instead of being a know-it-all and jumping straight to insulting people, how about understanding the context of the question first?

It would greatly help in your line of work. Also, don't be toxic, it might've helped you appear strong in futaba, but we're not futaba. If you think Ai-chan doesn't know what notarin means, you're sorely mistaken. Just because you insult in Japanese, doesn't make it okay. We don't need your toxicity here.
Ai-chan you were the first person to be toxic to him.

If you need to use 500-800 words in your novel description, you have done something very wrong. If someone taught you this, you should go back to that person and punch them in the face.
How do you think someone will react and respond to you saying they should be punched in the face?

Ofc @HandsomeProtagonist's following comment will be a response to that. If you said something like that, who will respond back nicely? No one.

@HandsomeProtagonist's first response didn't sound vain until they had to reply back to this: But the "if someone taught you this, you should go back to that person and punch them in the face" idk about you, but that wouldn't sit too well with others either.

Regardless who has more knowledge of what things or who is right, I strongly dislike people who say others are toxic to them when they were the first ones to act toxic.

Now I don't know much about publishing vs non-publishing works, my take is just observing from reading published works and non-published works. OP, do what you feel right. Blurb or synopsis, it is still something readers read first to see if they want to continue reading your story. 1st one seems consistent, 2nd one seems to try go epic to casual tone, but is not smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ai-chan

Ai-chan you were the first person to be toxic to him.

How do you think someone will react and respond to you saying they should be punched in the face?

Ofc @HandsomeProtagonist's following comment will be a response to that. If you said something like that, who will respond back nicely? No one.

@HandsomeProtagonist's first response didn't sound vain until they had to reply back to this: But the "if someone taught you this, you should go back to that person and punch them in the face" idk about you, but that wouldn't sit too well with others either.

Regardless who has more knowledge of what things or who is right, I strongly dislike people who say others are toxic to them when they were the first ones to act toxic.

Now I don't know much about publishing vs non-publishing works, my take is just observing from reading published works and non-published works. OP, do what you feel right. Blurb or synopsis, it is still something readers read first to see if they want to continue reading your story. 1st one seems consistent, 2nd one seems to try go epic to casual tone, but is not smooth.
Is that so? Ai-chan has always said something hyperbolic as a method of joking around. That's why sometimes Ai-chan would say at the top that it was not meant to be an offense like how Ai-chan replied to The Trinary's request for feedback. So that's how people take it.

Then Ai-chan apologize and will refrain from saying that in the future.

But that's beside the point. Ai-chan didn't insult him with anything that is directly an attack on a person and there was absolutely no intention of doing so. While Ai-chan apologize that he takes offense at that, from the top to the end, he repeatedly and knowingly attacked Ai-chan with such words that are actually banned from public broadcasting. Yes, notarin is an extremely offensive word that is actually banned from being spoken in Japanese TV. In English it is similar to being called "Your mother is a whore" in public TV.

D

Deleted member 45782

Is that so? Ai-chan has always said something hyperbolic as a method of joking around. That's why sometimes Ai-chan would say at the top that it was not meant to be an offense like how Ai-chan replied to The Trinary's request for feedback. So that's how people take it.

But that's beside the point. Ai-chan didn't insult him with anything that is directly an attack on a person and there was absolutely no intention of doing so. While Ai-chan apologize that he takes offense at that, from the top to the end, he repeatedly and knowingly attacked Ai-chan with such words that are actually banned from public broadcasting. Yes, notarin is an extremely offensive word that is actually banned from being spoken in Japanese TV. In English it is similar to being called "Your mother is a whore" in public TV.
Ah I see. I didn't know what notarin was in his second post. Yeah that one is on him. :/

Motsu

My bad! But I've never really known about it being a banned word on Japanese TV. However, it being similar to 'Your mother is a whore' makes no sense. Nōtarin means either slow-witted person; a simpleton or pig-ignorant; dumbass. I don't know if your either spouting weird-up definition about it because I've never heard of it being a bad word on Japanese TV ever since I've been in Japan 2 years ago.

Also, I think it's fair to attack someone who attacked me - hyperbolism or not. Even people would misunderstand such things! I don't even feel like the hyperbolism is clearly joking around because of how serious the way you wrote your opinion about the "500-800 words."

Perhaps you have a difficulty with reading comprehension. Ai-chan finds it highly unlikely that a 'professional' in a writing agency such as your great self would mistake what the OP was actually talking about. Ai-chan met several literary agents in the past and they all knew the terms Ai-chan was talking about despite misusing the terms. But in case you do misunderstand, allow Ai-chan to say this in the clearest and most concise way possible.

The OP meant the book description. That is, the novel description. The OP was talking about the 'blurb' at the back of the book you would buy at a bookstore. In some non-native English countries, a synopsis refers to this short blurb. Ai-chan doesn't know why this became the case, but somewhere in the past, this became the definition of a synopsis in our countries. If the OP came from such countries, a synopsis and a novel description would mean the exact same thing. Where Ai-chan is from, while a synopsis would also refer to the summary, most people would just call that a story summary.

I think I told you the OP's part isn't my problem because it's the same as the synopsis. I think you should understand why I immediately eluded that idea because that's already taken care of at the beginning of writing the story, or after writing the story (I usually write my synopsis first). In addition, I apologize for the toxicity - since my understanding of your opinion was so toxic.

Therefore, I think it's best to stand your point in any other specific argument that was what we were talking about in the first place rather than using a different argument like the OP to create an opinion in order to make more argument because you're just asking for more toxicity.

Also, unless you stand your point in other with such a clear argument without trying to fight your way out by bullshitting what Nōtarin means and distinctly telling me what OP means, even though I didn't say I don't know anything about it. I'll transfer you to someone who gives a fuck.

What we were talking about was the 500-800 words, so don't go shouting different topics.

Other than that, I deeply apologize! :)

Last edited:

Ai-chan

My bad! But I've never really known about it being a banned word on Japanese TV. However, it being similar to 'Your mother is a whore' makes no sense. Nōtarin means either slow-witted person; a simpleton or pig-ignorant; dumbass. I don't know if your either spouting weird-up definition about it because I've never heard of it being a bad word on Japanese TV ever since I've been in Japan 2 years ago.

Also, I think it's fair to attack someone who attacked me - hyperbolism or not. Even people would misunderstand such things! I don't even feel like the hyperbolism is clearly joking around because of how serious the way you wrote your opinion about the "500-800 words."

I think I told you the OP's part isn't my problem because it's the same as the synopsis. I think you should understand why I immediately eluded that idea because that's already taken care of at the beginning of writing the story, or after writing the story (I usually write my synopsis first). In addition, I apologize for the toxicity - since my understanding of your opinion was so toxic.

Therefore, I think it's best to stand your point in any other specific argument that was what we were talking about in the first place rather than using a different argument like the OP to create an opinion in order to make more argument because you're just asking for more toxicity.

Also, unless you stand your point in other with such a clear argument without trying to fight your way out by bullshitting what Nōtarin means and distinctly telling me what OP means, even though I didn't say I don't know anything about it. I'll transfer you to someone who gives a fuck.

What we were talking about was the 500-800 words, so don't go shouting different topics.
It doesn't mean "your mother is a whore". Ai-chan was talking about the severity of the insult. You can just google the word and you'd get the definition, but googling it doesn't give you the context or the level of insult it is. If 'baka' is rated 1 out of 10, 'notarin' is 9 or 10 of 10.

There is actually a long list of words you are not allowed to say on Japanese TV, such as gaijin, which is censored. Some of the tamer words would just get you censored, but the worse words such as 'notarin', 'kichigai' and 'konketsu' would get a newcomer in showbiz kicked out of the studio.

When Ai-chan was a guest in a variety show last time, Ai-chan's manager gave a list of words that Ai-chan was not allowed to say. That wasn't a problem because Ai-chan didn't use most of those words in the first place and the words that Ai-chan did use was tamer, and would just get censored instead of getting kicked out.

That being said, this has gone on long enough. Ai-chan will not be replying in this thread anymore unless it is related to the OP.

Motsu

It doesn't mean "your mother is a whore". Ai-chan was talking about the severity of the insult. You can just google the word and you'd get the definition, but googling it doesn't give you the context or the level of insult it is. If 'baka' is rated 1 out of 10, 'notarin' is 9 or 10 of 10.

There is actually a long list of words you are not allowed to say on Japanese TV, such as gaijin, which is censored. Some of the tamer words would just get you censored, but the worse words such as 'notarin', 'kichigai' and 'konketsu' would get a newcomer in showbiz kicked out of the studio.

When Ai-chan was a guest in a variety show last time, Ai-chan's manager gave a list of words that Ai-chan was not allowed to say. That wasn't a problem because Ai-chan didn't use most of those words in the first place and the words that Ai-chan did use was tamer, and would just get censored instead of getting kicked out.
Alright, let's say I get the severity out of it. But we aren't on Japanese TV and since we don't, there's no point in basing the severity of the insult in such a way! We also aren't in Japan. If you feel so offended, then you might as well equalize the severity of Baka and Notarin because they mean the same thing anyway.

It's like saying, inessential and redundant mean the same thing but the difference between its definition is on a different level. (makes no sense)

In addition, I'd really avoid using the word as possible if I am in Japan but you're exaggerating the problem about the severity and how much offended you are. I don't even think much if someone would shout that at me in Japan. Well, maybe it varies between people if either they can take or break from words like that.

And from here, no more good stuff and the end.

Last edited:

LinMeili

Thanks for all the comments. It seems clear that people prefer the first one. (y)
What kind of audience are you trying to appeal to? Because this will be the ultimate deciding factor in which synopsis you are going to want to use. :blob_evil_two:
Just the regular ScribbleHub people! Isekai novel readers, I guess?

Businesssn

Brick-San the god of wholesome hentai
It’s a story about a dude being hero and stuff, like saving the last boss